Hacking Since Trucha Signer could be used to install firmware...

quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible that someone could dump the newest firmware updates, modify them so that Trucha Signer remains usable, and then have everyone install the update from there? That way, any future updates required for whatever reason won't cause Trucha Signer to stop working?

Is this similar to the way custom firmware is made for the PSP, or am I missing something?

quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Infinity-X said:
How exactly would you be able to dump a firmware and then apply it to the Wii from your computer?

I'm not sure how the firmware would be dumped...maybe its possible to dump the firmware with a program via the Twilight Hack or a program on a disc modded with Trucha Signer.

I figured it would be possible to install firmware from a disc signed with Trucha Signer.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Possible like what happens with the PSP. Sure, it might require a bit of fiddling but it could be done.

Easy: not a chance: as of right now to my knowledge nobody has a wii remote working via homebrew (excluding flash based stuff on browser) let alone the more complex stuff the firmware presides over. Some basic hacks might appear shortly but full blown custom stuff seems some way away, certainly not within the timeframe that people are expecting the gap to be closed in.
As for updates it is fairly easy to rip them from discs and I believe there were some more advanced chips/devices that did not make much of a dent.

Good news though is people have already managed to disable updates and chip checks so it should be possible to hold out for a while (not that I have seen much worth updating for).

quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
Possible like what happens with the PSP. Sure, it might require a bit of fiddling but it could be done.

Easy: not a chance: as of right now to my knowledge nobody has a wii remote working via homebrew (excluding flash based stuff on browser) let alone the more complex stuff the firmware presides over. Some basic hacks might appear shortly but full blown custom stuff seems some way away, certainly not within the timeframe that people are expecting the gap to be closed in.
As for updates it is fairly easy to rip them from discs and I believe there were some more advanced chips/devices that did not make much of a dent.

Good news though is people have already managed to disable updates and chip checks so it should be possible to hold out for a while (not that I have seen much worth updating for).

There are discs that check for chips?

Are you talking about Error 001 in Brawl? I googled some stuff, and it says that the disc doesn't detect a chip; it just detects that its a burned copy. Most upgradeable chips have released updates that gets around this security.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
quadomatic said:
Infinity-X said:
How exactly would you be able to dump a firmware and then apply it to the Wii from your computer?

I'm not sure how the firmware would be dumped...maybe its possible to dump the firmware with a program via the Twilight Hack or a program on a disc modded with Trucha Signer.

I figured it would be possible to install firmware from a disc signed with Trucha Signer.
There's no need to "dump" the firmware...
If a game requires a newer firmware, the firmware will be included on the game disc...someone could grab the firmware from the game disc (shoud be way easier than dumping it from the Wii's firmware flashrom), somehow modify it so it doesn't disable Trucha-signed games (that's most likely the hardest part) and then put it back onto the game disc, so the game will install the new modified firmware...

aaa2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the firmware is split up in different parts handling different things you could edit the inf so that the part in future firmwares that could prevent trucha discs from working is not written to flash but only the things that do not include patches like this. Things that are very unlikely to include a trucha signer patch are things related to media files and alike

quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Even if you decrypt it (which people actually have been able to do), you aren't going to be able to run any firmware that isn't signed by Nintendo and your Wii both.

The Trucha Signer only signs discs through a bug in Wii firmware. There is no method of signing the discs in a legitimate way, much less signing the firmware. The likeliness of a firmware signing bug is slim, too.

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
Now only is we had someone with a badass Quantum Computer to execute Shor's algorithm.. We'd crack that RSA in a day
wink.gif

(not a chance)

moquette

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wum.talevas.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
maybe we can code a distributed compute program
wink.gif

but for the easy applying of a Trucha Signer trick (not easy for everyones), I am currently working on it : WUM (aka Wii Update Manager)
http://wum.talevas.com

And i need some testers, i you want to contribute, we will do it faster.

For al my research on the updates in game, all is in the website in the development page.
Have a look
wink.gif

SomeGuyGG

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
moquette said:
maybe we can code a distributed compute program
wink.gif

but for the easy applying of a Trucha Signer trick (not easy for everyones), I am currently working on it : WUM (aka Wii Update Manager)
http://wum.talevas.com

And i need some testers, i you want to contribute, we will do it faster.

For al my research on the updates in game, all is in the website in the development page.
Have a look
wink.gif

Cool program, just tried it out, seems to work fine.

Could you add an undo option though? To restore the original disc, I don't like how it automatically patches it and you loose the original image.

moquette

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wum.talevas.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
@SomeGuyGG

there is no Undo button, but when you patch an iso for the first time, it will write inside what was the original update.

So if you analyse it in the future, you will see it, and you can replace the actual update with the original one.

this way you have exactly the same iso file as the original one, added just one string with the md5 of the original update (information that will not trouble anything).

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would custom firmware be possible on the wii what would the program write like the custom firmware over the real firmware on the disc and wii or what?Sorry if this sounds like a noobish question but I was just wondering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night