1. supernintendo128

OP supernintendo128 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I know it's a little late to start this conversation since Sony has discontinued the Vita a year ago but better late than never.

Since Sony discontinued the PlayStation Vita, they currently have no plans for a successor system due to the system's commercial failure. That leaves Nintendo as the last remaining dedicated handheld manufacturer which means they have no competition in that sector. I know that there is still the mobile market but I think Nintendo considers the dedicated handheld market and the mobile phone market to be two separate entities since Nintendo is in both. How do you guys think that this will affect the handheld market in the long run?

Discuss.

2. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Handhelds won't be tht popular as used to be I don't think as graphics power and sound are what most of us want - people spending big money on PS5 and pcs and home cinema systems and soon 8k tvs won't want to be playing a handheld with 1080p graphics and no proper audio surround sound-when I play a game I want to see stunning visuals and hear everything around me though of course I'd still play the odd 2d indie game

3. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Speak for yourself. The games I spend the most time on are both over 15 years old. The gap between handhelds and consoles has always been large. In many ways the gap is smaller than it used to be; the games released on the 3DS and Vita were far more similar to then-current console games than the original Game Boy was to the SNES. I don't think that the desire for them has really decreased all that much in recent years. One need only look at the success of the Switch to see that under-powered hardware isn't a deal-breaker for many (most?) people.

EmperorX and MicmasH_W like this.
  4. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    it will got solely to the shit that is cellphone/tablet gaming.

DinohScene likes this.
  5. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

Chile
    it pains me to see that sony gave up on the portable market since they were the only ones trying to push the envelope, nintendo made the 3ds only to fulfill their dream of releasing a 3d capable system.
    had sony gave the vita more attention it would have been the portable winner of that generation.

MicmasH_W likes this.
  6. supernintendo128

OP supernintendo128 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Sony did a lot of things wrong with the Vita, such as insufficient marketing, the hefty price tag (same mistake that Nintendo made with the 3DS) that Sony would later lower, not putting enough effort to push "AAA" titles for the system, the overpriced (and inferior) proprietary memory cards, no internal memory early in the console's life, no "Killer App" to really push the system to the mainstream (Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified tried to be one and failed miserably. The closest thing there was to a real killer app was Persona 4: Golden), and the fact that Sony simply gave up on it too quickly (they basically abandoned the thing only three years after its release).

DeoNaught and MicmasH_W like this.
  7. landysmods

landysmods Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    There's always the small companies that make great hardware like the GPD XD, or the GPD Win but unfortunately too small to make dedicated software for their handhelds.

DinohScene likes this.
  8. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    Well, game studios' ads have done a very good job on you.. Now you want everything they plan to sell on the forecoming months/years.

But you can only speak for yourself here. Not everyone are willing to spend hundreds of dollars (USD that is), on a console that plans to offer the top edge graphics and "wasted" ultimate computer processing units on "remastered" games that cost almost the same as the console itself.

Originality is a lack for the most part on almost all game developing studios, now everything is about "remastering and reselling".

And about the portable/handheld console industry, well, al least for now there's the Swtich Lite. And luckily, I can emulate on my (hacked) handheld consoles, I don't use my cellphone to play, is not very confortable.

9. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

Chile
    which is why I said that sony abandoning the vita is why it didn't won.
    no marketing? get the team to work on the vita instead of focusing too much on the ps4.
    hefty price? they lowered it after, almost at the same time as the 3ds (for what I remember).
    no killer apps? the 3ds had no system selling games at launch (kind of debatable, but nothing that made the general audience turn their heads) while the vita launched with uncharted and wipeout and continued to have a steady stream of games through 2012 (though the 3ds also had a pretty good first year). and btw, persona 4 golden is not the lord and savior of the vita as many think, unless you are a weeb (the vita wasn't a weeb machine at that point in time, I know since I own one since early 2013 and I'm a weeb) you probably couldn't care less about "purse owner" games.
    memory card prices? could have been lowered if sony wanted. but since they stopped caring about the vita they never lowered the prices.

so as we both said TL;DR sony is an idiot and buried our vita waifu while it was still alive and kicking.

10. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Addict

Austria
    Nintendo owns the Handheld market again. Well, at least until videogame streaming gets more fleshed out.

11. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    I can emulate a Wii on me phone, PS2 perhaps?

Idk, anyway phones are a hell of a lot more powerful then anything Nintendo has pumped out hardware wise.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo switches focus to hybrid systems and that phones/tablets are going to take over the handheld gaming market.

Perhaps some niche handhelds might come along but that's about it.

Ofcourse, I'm no expert nor did I look into the future but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the way how things are going to end up.

12. zergoven

zergoven Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    I think it will collapse when the 3DS will be unsupported. Even after the release of the Switch and Switch Lite, 3DS is still a "living" console on the market.

13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Erm... I honestly don't get that reasoning. Nintendo can consider all they like, but meanwhile the mobile market has outgrown pretty much all other gaming means (combined, even). And it shows : I'm commuting to work. For every switch I've seen on my train (about one or two) I see hundreds of people doing casual mobile gaming.
    Sure, we might not like it, and of course it's different on school yardsbut that's how they game.

14. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Probably the same as the past 30 years, for as long as they see fit to make one, Nintendo will dominate the dedicated handheld gaming market.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - handheld, happen, gaming