Since Mario Maker 3ds doesn't have online sharing like the wii u...

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by mrissaoussama, Nov 29, 2016.

1. mrissaoussama
    OP

mrissaoussama Hiuhbi32

Nov 23, 2015
    would it be possible to create a tool that extracts the course file from the ExtData to the sd card to share it online? so we don't have to backup our saves, inject another save with the course we want to play then restore the original save once we finish it?

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    We need to wait until we now how the fucking game saves before we do stuff like this

3. mrissaoussama
    OP

mrissaoussama Hiuhbi32

Nov 23, 2015
    It'll mostly save to the EXTdata. since that's what other games that have a level creating tool do.

4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    Just because it saves to extdata doesn't mean you can just upload it to some servers. You still likely need to extract the levels from extdata and you need to host a server that can upload them

5. mrissaoussama
    OP

mrissaoussama Hiuhbi32

Nov 23, 2015
    By sharing it online i meant some forum or something. i'm asking if it's possible to extract the created courses from the Extdata to the sd card

6. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    How would we know that if the game isn't out?

XRaTiX, EpicMedz, Ghassen-ga and 2 others like this.
  7. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    From what you and @xtheman166 have said, I'd say it's possible, but we won't know for sure until the game is released.

8. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I think the entire reason conventional online level sharing was nixed was because Nintendo were afraid pirates/homebrewers would share their hacked and unbeatable levels with the legit paying audience. If they were confident in their savegame AP, don't you think they would have allowed the online sharing?

Anyway, like others have said, we won't know anything for sure until the games are actually out, and level sharing tools can thus be written.

Last edited by zoogie, Nov 29, 2016
    pandavova likes this.
  9. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    I think it was just because waaaaaaaay more people own a 3ds than a wiiu. It would probably overload the servers. This would support the inability to search by course id.

10. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    ehhh.... :/ with uploading coarses I can get that being droped with possible filling up and overloading the server but I am however a bit confused on the search feature not being there, I think its to avoid disappointment in the user from finding out a level is not 3ds compatible, I am however in no understanding whatsoever as to why theres no option to at least transfer to wii u even if you cant do the same back, it would be such a great tool for working on a stage on the go

Seriel likes this.
  11. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    There will probably be a homebrew app that can extract your levels from the savegame for online sharing, and inject other peoples' levels.

Garblant and jt_1258 like this.
  12. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Well, we will just have to wait. Maybe they will patch more online features in.

13. orochi115

orochi115 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2013
    Switzerland
    I think they just don't want to hurt Mario Maker WiiU owners and potential owners. Mario Maker was one of the few games that greatly increased sales of WiiU.
    Maybe years later, an official update of Mario Maker will support online.

14. Polarise

Polarise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Across all Nintendo 3DS families, it has more than 60 Million sales.

15. jaku

jaku GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2014
    United States
    As someone that is heavily involved in the current Super Mario Maker community I hope that a tool will exist for this sort of thing.

I've been responsible for 2 big sites in the SMM community so far. Warp World and Makers of Mario. I have also done a lot of reverse engineering on the WiiU version along with my team in the last year to get a good understanding of the game and communications to the servers.

The file sizes for the courses are around 320kb which isn't to large and when you think about the 8 million levels it wouldn't be a huge amount of data but it would add up eventually. So my guess for the level upload being removed is for hacked levels being uploaded. It's already possible on the WiiU but would be even easier on the 3DS.

Anyways with that said. I hope that if anyone here plans to release a tool or make a site that they contact me if possible. We have the site already that is basically a replacement of the bookmark site and we would love to be able to use that to help share levels to 3DS users if we can extract saves from levels. Plus we can share the research we have already done on the WiiU version.

I'm easy enough to find online. But my twitter is @jaku and I will get emails if you PM here.

I'm hoping we can find some cool stuff with the 3DS game and bring some online level sharing functionality to the users!

wormdood, SG6000, RainThunder and 9 others like this.
  16. JCCG1989

JCCG1989 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Mexico
    Hey guys, do you think we can extract map data from the extdata from Zoids game?, I know is not even played, I know a relase date is not possible but you think we will be have to extract the file and share it?

17. erman1337

erman1337 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2015
    Belgium
    Brussels
    Hey I can host the levels

18. hbound713

hbound713 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2016
    Melbourne
    for whatever the reason i think it's so stupid that there's no online sharing
    that's literally where all of the fun comes from on the Wii U version

19. RCJayce

RCJayce The Defender Of Tomorrow

Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    New York
    Well, only 8 hours to find how this game save courses in the SD card! I hope that we can search courses with some sort of homebrew tool, o even better, download those courses from N servers (or wherever they are stored) and save them in our 3DS's

Yup! before the Nintendo announcement, I was fucking hyped to play some courses that I watched in Youtube (Carl, GDQ etc.) but then, BOOM Nintendo announces that we can't search specific courses. Anyway, I don't have Wii U, so either way I'll be happy with this game

Last edited by RCJayce, Nov 30, 2016
  20. ceelo

ceelo GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2008
    United States
    So if I understand correctly, mario maker 3ds doesn't support online downloads of levels and all we could do is just make our own levels?? That'd be so lame, for me as I am not creative; I'd want to download other people's levels :(