• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Simpsons Might Get Rid of Apu because of Negative Stereotypes

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: JiveTheTurkey

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Where does it say that they are not getting rid of Apu in the articles you linked? They both say it's unclear what will happen and that the guy said he does not speak for them. Those articles you linked says the same thing the article I linked says.

I personally don't think they will get rid of Apu. They probably use this to their advantage and let interest in their show build. Then come out with an episode joking about this. But the hysteria of people complaining about Apu is ridiculous. Since the show is full of stereotypes.

They did have an episode making fun of SJW's, cultural appropriation, safe spaces, and college campuses. They kind of predicted the NPC Meme. Simpsons predicts everything.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: JiveTheTurkey

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@SG854 Simpsons Predict Everything Now that is worthy news very uncanny if you ask me mostly very accurate.
I guess it's just about taking a good look at the world, finding the most absurd and scandalous thing that is probable it will happen someday, and making an episode about it.
Perhaps they fail the prediction some times, but when they get it right it looks like they are magicians (when actually it was something that looked like it could happen).

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I guess it's just about taking a good look at the world, finding the most absurd and scandalous thing that is probable it will happen someday, and making an episode about it.
Perhaps they fail the prediction some times, but when they get it right it looks like they are magicians (when actually it was something that looked like it could happen).
They predicted Trump would be President back in 2000.
The writers are aliens from the future.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, it didn't seem like that big of a deal, to keep or remove them, until they said something.

Some people are acting like they aren't extremes on both sides. Like complaining over gay characters.
I am starting to think they did for the same reason as "Brain's Death" on Family Guy. No one noticed he was missing until they pointed this out, just like no one noticed Brain died until people started talking about his death on social media. The Simpsons is a show that no one really watches anymore and Apu's absence going unnoticed is more than enough evidence to require something drastic like this.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last time I watched the Simpsons was back in 2012 2013ish, and I thought it was fucking awful. Just full of celebrity cameos that I didn't give a fuck about. I cannot even imagine how bad it is now.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last time I watched the Simpsons was back in 2012 2013ish, and I thought it was fucking awful. Just full of celebrity cameos that I didn't give a fuck about. I cannot even imagine how bad it is now.

Oh man, I stopped watching it in 2004, thankfully.

They also predicted that Disney would own pretty much every big studio

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump teased running for President for years.

They also predicted that Disney would own pretty much every big studio
Honestly, who didn't see that coming? Hell, they even got the US Gov to keep pushing back copyright laws, so they Steamboat Willie doesn't fall under public domain.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
cause it would be too much hassle to give him an actual indian-american VA and moderately modernize his character just a tiny bit.
imagine the guy coming to america to flee his premandated life to pursue the american dream actually manage to be one of the few to make it somewhere.
how about Mayor Apu for example.

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cause it would be too much hassle to give him an actual indian-american VA and moderately modernize his character just a tiny bit.
imagine the guy coming to america to flee his premandated life to pursue the american dream actually manage to be one of the few to make it somewhere.
What difference does having an actor be from the [insert whatever concern you have this minute] make and what benefit would "modernising" as you call it do for comedy?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Homer: stereotype of the fat lazy american men = OK
Bart: stereotype of a teenager = OK
Clancy Winchester: stereotype of a fat lazy police man = OK
Monty Burns: stereotype of a stingy old rich man = OK
Comics man and Dr.Frink: stereotypes of the nerds = OK
Willy: stereotype of the Irish men = OK
Disco-Stu: stereotype of a '80s dancer = OK
Luigi: stereotype of the Italian men = OK
Fat-Tony: stereotype of an Italian-american Godfather = OK
Krusty: stereotype of the greedy Hebrew = OK

Have, the anti-racist, forget the Bee-Man?
Ground Keeper Willy is Bloody Scottish. Every single person here in Scotland would be outraged at you calling him Irish. Here that is like calling a Pakistani person Indian or a Chinese person Japanese lol.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ground Keeper Willy is Bloody Scottish. Every single person here in Scotland would be outraged at you calling him Irish. Here that is like calling a Pakistani person Indian or a Chinese person Japanese lol.
Oh have I seen that happening once and again.
I think it is a common occurrence here in Germany, well they do look similar /s.
Indians don't seem to care that much, but Pakistani get really annoyed when they ask them about their home country "India".

Oh wait, /OT

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you want to have Apu take over as mayor from Dimond Joe. How does that not become a stereotype of foreigners coming to America and stealing someone's job?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: AmandaRose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users