Hacking simply skinning wont work for me?

AionSkull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must be missing something, ive tried everything i can think of and i cant get M3 Simply's skins to work. Heres what ive got:

_DS_MENU.SYS - which ive deleted a few times to let it regenerate, just incase that had something to do with it

_DS_MENU.DAT - ive tried version 1.01 and the 1.02 beta, both load the default skin

_system_ -which contains:
bckgrd_1.bmp
bckgrd_1.bmp
icons.bmp
logo.bmp

Ive tried replacing those files with a ton of differnt skins and i allways get the default.
Ive search the forums but no one else seems to be having any trouble...

any ideas?

AionSkull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no solution, its like the firmware wont even try to look at that folder, instead it pulls up a default bitmap for each screen... does anyone else have this problem?

could someone at least let me know that im doing things right?

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that looks right.

im using zelda wind waker skin and it seems to work fine, i havent tried making my own yet
tongue.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I've got an R4, but if the bmp isn't in the right format (uncompressed) it''ll show you the defaul skins instead. Where are you getting your skins from?

AionSkull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im kinda glad to hear that other people are having the same problem, i will try a format see what it does. The skins ive downloaded have come from the forums here and other places. I will try saving some out from photoshop so i can manipulate the settings a bit.

Master Mo, let me know if you figure anything out or find any skins that work.

khan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
i think i have found the solution to this problem as i was also encountering this prob too.

it would seem that almost all the skins posted here are 32-bit Bitmap images whereas if you put 24-bit Bitmap images into _system_ it will work.

Now i use two skins to test this method and it worked however i am wondering if it is possible convert PNG to 24-bit Bitmap using Fireworks
unsure.gif

AionSkull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Khan, Ive just went through and tried a bunch of different skins in all sorts of bit depths(even some in 8-bit) still nothing in will show up... could you post or link to a skin that works for you?

if you still need something to convert from PNG i can link you some software.

AionSkull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woot! the complete reformat of the card worked! only tested with one skin so far but none the less it does fix it.

now to transfer a gig of roms back onto it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr