Simple question: Is it safe to buy a Gateway now or wait until update is released¿

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Starzboy77, Dec 19, 2014.

  1. Starzboy77
    OP

    Starzboy77 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    123
    3
    Feb 4, 2004
    United States
    I still haven't found a link to source that new hardware is not needed. I'm on 9.2 and will pull the trigger if I can get a source to people saying the team announced it wouldn't require new hardware.
     
  2. Reploid

    Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    559
    198
    Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    It would'nt. Don't have the link tho.
     
  3. GotKrypto76

    GotKrypto76 That one PHP guy.

    Member
    302
    178
    Dec 1, 2014
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    The Chamber of Kim
    i would get one sooner than later, Im sure it will be a lot harder to find them once the update is out.
     
  4. Missilewarriorz

    Missilewarriorz Member

    Newcomer
    26
    1
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    i am in the same boat as you, I ended up pulling the trigger already a few days ago.. pretty sure its not hardware related. on the site they never mentioned new hardware they have just mentioned that its a firmware so thats that . plus in the video the hardware looks the same
     
  5. the.rx-78

    the.rx-78 Member

    Newcomer
    18
    6
    Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Definitely get it now. I think a lot of people are on the same page and are now waiting, because they're not familiar with the Gateway team or just will remain skeptical, but I'm betting once the proof is out, we're going to see a ton of new users. Not just those waiting, but those that hear about the news and the Gateway for the first time. It might be hard to get it at a good price, or even without waiting significantly longer.

    But so far they have delivered on every promise, and I cannot think why they would lie or pull any exit scam now, especially without giving some time to take a crack at it. Hell, a lot of people were skeptical about multi-rom last year... and man did they deliver. :yaynds:

    They have said less than a week ago that the update would be within a month time, so if you ordered now, it would be three weeks waiting, assuming you order locally, tops.

    Edit: but I can't help you on proof that you won't need a new card. I know that they said you wouldn't, though. I'm betting it's buried somewhere in the nearly 400 page thread as an email reply from Gateway... lol
     
    MattKimura and GotKrypto76 like this.
  6. tony_2018
    This message by tony_2018 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Dec 19, 2014.
    Dec 19, 2014
  7. Monty Kensicle

    Monty Kensicle Yay!

    Member
    1,120
    268
    Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    So remember, always wear a condom when playing video games!
     
  8. Shanester

    Shanester GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    104
    79
    Nov 3, 2010
    United States
    U.S.A.
    Just bought one today. I'm gonna assume that the prices will jump once demand increases. Waiting has its perks, but we might not see any new cards/cfw for a very long time now that the kernel exploit has been patched.
     
  9. Sparks43

    Sparks43 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    77
    18
    Jan 1, 2014

    Just dont give out your number:grog:
     
  10. shinyquagsire23

    shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

    Member
    1,961
    3,231
    Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    IIRC there's definitely a new 9.x-ready firmware with the new cards, (I believe they said that all orders shipped after their announcement will have it), but as of now it's definitely a good idea to get one. Although if you want to you can just wait and see, and then order.
     
  11. Piepokemon

    Piepokemon GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    138
    72
    Dec 7, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, basically this. It all boils down to, do you want the update as soon as it's out on your gateway, or are you willing to wait a couple weeks or so for shipping for the guarantee it will work.
     
  12. Starzboy77
    OP

    Starzboy77 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    123
    3
    Feb 4, 2004
    United States
    I think I'll just go ahead and order one. Thinking of going with Modchipdirect as I live in Phoenix. If I order a 32gb Sandisk SD will it be a class 10? Should I just get a 64gb off Amazon for the extra $10? I also need a new card reader as my old one is terrible. I want one that can read SD and micro SD but I don't have a 3.0usb. Any input?
     
  13. the.rx-78

    the.rx-78 Member

    Newcomer
    18
    6
    Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Go for 64GB mSD... and the Transcend 15 in 1 card reader works well for me, $11 on Amazon.
     
  14. thorasgar

    thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

    Member
    3,405
    1,844
    Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Go 64. Check Costco, Amazon, newegg, tiger direct.

    I ordered my GWfrom modchipdirect on a Friday and had it on Tuesday.
     
  15. logg

    logg GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    255
    215
    Dec 10, 2014
    United States
    Kind of wish I'd waited, myself. I got mine from a US retailer a couple weeks ago (got to me in just a couple days), and it's been like "okay, have they released yet?" every day since then. Plus, I'm kicking myself because even though I'm fairly confident that it will work someday, (since they have a reputation to uphold, and a long history of doing right by their customers), there's this whole "Why release sooner than later if everyone has already ordered based on just our announcement anyway?" effect. It's better to reward them for releasing rather than for their promise.