Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters

TayTayTheKiller

Forever noob
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool, did the upgrade and downgrade went smoothly?
Yep no issues what so ever.
I used menuhax to get to sysupdater.

I deleted network settings before using sysupdater.

sysupdater loaded correctly first try on the upgrade.

When the upgrade finished I rebooted, formatted and installed menuhax again.

sysupdater took 4 or 5 times to load correctly on the downgrade but when it did all went smoothly with no errors and rebooted itself. again after the downgrade I rebooted and formatted.

Reactions: guitarheroknight

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys. I am new to 3DS hacking. I was going to downgrade my New 3DS XL to 9.2.0-20U. I have all the files I need, I'm just a bit nervous and was wondering a few things. With Homebrew, what am I able to do? I know I can run some emulators and apps/games that people have made. Specifically, can I run roms? :P Thanks in advance.

phil7g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So is there other peoples who have successfully update to 10.3.0 with sysupdater on 3ds?
I fail the downgrade with my n3ds that was on 9.8.0. Im willing to try again with a new one. The one I have is on 10.4.0 now :(

asmola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, i think i need some help, i was downgrading from 9.8 to 9.2 when i got a nintendo error on the lower screen telling me to shut the console down, and i did it. now it won't boot up.
it's a new 3dsxl

phil7g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, i think i need some help, i was downgrading from 9.8 to 9.2 when i got a nintendo error on the lower screen telling me to shut the console down, and i did it. now it won't boot up.
it's a new 3dsxl
You probably have a soft brick, try to remove your SD card and reboot again. If you cannot access the welcome screen, try to boot in recovery mode and update your console with Nintendo official. You will be updated to 10.4 if you succeed, no more downgrade for you sorry. It happened to me too, at least my n3ds is still working after doing the recovery tricks. I wonder if downgrading an old 3ds that is not on 10.3 will work better than the n3ds?

asmola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You probably have a soft brick, try to remove your SD card and reboot again. If you cannot access the welcome screen, try to boot in recovery mode and update your console with Nintendo official. You will be updated to 10.4 if you succeed, no more downgrade for you sorry. It happened to me too, at least my n3ds is still working after doing the recovery tricks. I wonder if downgrading an old 3ds that is not on 10.3 will work better than the n3ds?
i can boot it without a sd card but now the question is how to start menuhax when the browser doesn't work and it doesn't respond to bootup with the l button pressed

phil7g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i can boot it without a sd card but now the question is how to start menuhax when the browser doesn't work and it doesn't respond to bootup with the l button pressed
If your browser doesn't work, it's partially brick. Maybe you try to use the ninjahax. For me tought, I wasn't able to do anything on sysnand, that why I'v done a recovery. I will try again tonight with a new new 3ds, and before downgrading, I will update to 10.3 with sysupdater.

asmola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If your browser doesn't work, it's partially brick. Maybe you try to use the ninjahax. For me tought, I wasn't able to do anything on sysnand, that why I'v done a recovery. I will try again tonight with a new new 3ds, and before downgrading, I will update to 10.3 with sysupdater.
i'll try a cartridge based exploit, thanks

gangs_08

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Nintendo 2DS: im on 9.7. should i first update to 10.3 and than downgrade to 9.2 ?? but the problem is i cant use browserhax on 10.3 right? because of the force update when i open the browser?!

Last edited by gangs_08,
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • phalk @ phalk:
    I only do anything in my life to allow me to be lazier
    +1
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    same
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    TRJ, I learned all those in school/college.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As part of some course or other.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I forgot to list Assembler, Pascal and Matlab scripting.
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    I know some pascal, c, php
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    and I'm a History teacher
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Went over the basics in all of them, never took it anywhere.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I do use bash for my job though. It's useful.
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    Assembler is something I always wanted to learn
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    but.... nah
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    No point really.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Even the simplest device these days runs some sort of high level language.
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Veho all the IT stuff i've learned in school has been extremely basic... i knew most of it already
    Gift
    it's better to learn on your own, it goes much faster than the snail pace they teach you at in school
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembly is actually great, gets you to run everything about 80% faster than C massaged code
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembler syntax is dead easy, but "how to put pieces together" logic requires to have in mind the original idea, and the CPU layout, and that's like double the work of C stuff. It's best to write C first, add some unit tests, then go assembly, then run the unit tests
    Gift
    it can run faster than compiled code, but modern compilers are really good at optimization and you need to be even better at assembly to do a better job
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    with that all your assembler base will actually work
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    even on embedded systems, without a damned debugger
    Gift
    syntax is easy but the code is hard to read, you can't look at a piece of code and expect to understand it without looking at all the code around it to see how it all works together so it takes much longer to read the code, it takes longer to write it too because what might be 1 line of code in C might be 20 lines of assembly
    Gift
    the language is very simple to understand (because it's barely a language at all) understanding how all the instructions work together to form a whole is another matter, in general it's such a pain to work with that i would never recommend it unless you have a need for it. don't listen to this guy and learn assembly just because you want to make your code run faster, you are wasting your time, but if you run into a situation where your code isn't fast enough even after you enabled -Ofast and you NEED it to be faster, then you can consider assembly
    Gift
    @Coto have you tried -Ofast btw? ;)
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have o fast before but I suspect we are talking different Os lol
    Gift
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I have o fast before but I suspect we are talking different Os lol