Similar Threads Preview

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by CheatingSoi, Jul 15, 2009.

Jul 15, 2009

Similar Threads Preview by CheatingSoi at 6:29 AM (825 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    I just signed up at ipodtouchfans.com/forums and was about to start a topic when I realized they had the best thing ever that actually worked and stopped me from creating a new useless thread! I think we absolutely need this and see no reason it would cause a problem. This is perfect and would help a lot with useless posts that have already been answered a million times. This would give the mods more time to do whatever it is they do when they aren't closing topics and cause much less frustration.

How it works is, after you have keyed in your topic, once you click in the text box to start writing, it instantly preforms a search and then a box pops up and shows you a small list of results most similar to the title of the topic you just keyed in. Here is a pic to show what it's like and, no, the picture below is not my problem, I just used that as an example.

[​IMG]

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It would be nice, but it's not something that this site can afford. I mean, they took out the "members currently viewing topic" function recently, so I don't think adding anything is a priority.

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    While it would be a nice feature, the site is slow enough as it is. Performing a search for each new topic could just slow it down more. You should really search first if you're going to ask questions anyway.

4. Jei

Member Jei Translator and romhacker wannabe

Brazil
    Besides, the search function is done by the Google cache, it's not like the forum has an internal search function so it could easily be integrated within creating new topics - I agree it's a pretty useful feature, but it's not likely to be implemented here.

5. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
  6. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Personally I think it would be great to have something like this on the board, I think it would help clean things up a lot.

7. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    I was wondering about the members currently viewing a while back, so it was taken out hu? I always had a soft spot in my heart for that little notification.

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I'd like to have something like that here but it'll slow things down.

Even now with the "members currently viewing" gone its still slow at times.

9. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Yeah but at least it shows you're thinking for the website. Now the other feature this website needs is to keep spammers from populating this site. Even though it has been a few, we can't let out guard down for a second.