Hacking Silver DS wont turn on.

shadow1w2

Still here.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thought Id post here and see if anyone might have had a simular trouble and found a way to fix it.

After college today I decided to try and fix my top screen in my DS.
It has a problem where the screen turns blue and makes everything kinda turn shades of blue and weird colors and junk.
The warrenty is over on it anyway, so I figured Id open it up and fix it.
Tired and stressed, I tore out the little screw covers and found that there wasnt much I could do about the flat video cable that is coiled in the hindge and leading to the bottom of the unit.

Thinking I could follow it into the bottom half and try and fix the problem, I tried to test it out and hld the battery in while I played with teh video cable to see where it was worn out at and stuff.

Well, it seems that in my stress I accidently had the battery fliped and had negative on negative and positive on positive.
After that it wouldnt turn on, and with the charger in the green light just flashs for a small moment with a click from the speakers and the charge light just lasts for a few seconds.

I checked the battery with a tester and got an 8 and 8.1 reading. Not sure if thats the normal reading, but atleast it seems to give off something.

Im not sure if I messed up the battery or the DS itself.

I could scrap it, but I really wanna have it working for things like controler use and winamp streaming.

Anyone know of a good way to check if the DS still gets power or a way to trick it into recharging the battery anyway?

I figure Id rahter just scrap it if I have to get a new battery, but if I could find a cheap one around or possibly get someone to lemme take their old worn battery (third party maybe) so I could do a check.

Thanks for any help.

yee

Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
Should've at least tried sending it in, a couple of my friends sent them in and got exchanged DS' Lites even though they had no warranty card, etc.

But we went into their customer service branch, so I don't know how it would work for you.

shadow1w2

Still here.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should've at least tried sending it in, a couple of my friends sent them in and got exchanged DS' Lites even though they had no warranty card, etc.

But we went into their customer service branch, so I don't know how it would work for you.

I hear alot about Nintendo's good service but they gave me a hard time last time.
Telling me that since my DS had scratchs on the bottom screen and a dead pixel, that it couldnt be brought in under warrenty. Though I could have gotten a discount. I didnt have fifty bucks at the time so I didnt bother.
Its been more than a year since the last time I sent my DS in (for repairs and they sent me one with a dead pixel >.

yee

Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
Oh no, sorry to confuse you, DSL for DSL, but it was the point
tongue.gif

shadow1w2

Still here.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, I waas wondering how Nintendo suddenly got THAT over generous xD

Anyway, after some more checks and things, it seems my battery isnt at fualt.
It still has a full charge and has no problem.
So by accidently crossing the power connectors it must have fried my DS

So Id have to replace a part in it or somehow revive it... somehow.

I guess I have no choice but to try and convince nintendo to fix it for me.
Warrenty should be over, so hopefully it wont be too bad.
If its over fifty bucks though it wont be worth it. Might as well buy a new silver DS and use this one for parts ;3

Now I should warn everyone. When attempting to fix an NDS do NOT cross the battery's conectors with the NDS's connectors. In other words dont flip the battery over, it'll fry your DS. The DS doesnt have a safety feature like some devices do, so doing this will damage your DS.
If you have to fix something like a screen, try to do it without power.

Most poeple know better than to cross the plus and minus connectors like I did, but you know, it helps to know just incase of mistakes.

Well, thanks.
Im gonna call nintendo and beg for repairs :/

Unless ofcourse someone here knows of a way to get the DS to use the battery's power again.
If anyone by any chance did the same thing and found a way to fix it.
I dont mind a little soldering if I have to.

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you blew a fuse. I've heard they're easy to replace, there's two fuses, might want to test them. I forgot what name they were given. It has happend when like 2 people used a Supercard(was tested by Realhotstuff to confirm), or when people us a flashcarts that use CF and when the boot it with a cf in, the pins were bent, and it shorts the fuse. If you can find a place that sells it, and also the picture showing where the fuses are you might be able to save a ton of money, assuming that is the fuses.
EDIT: I did some searching found a thread regarding the fuses. Hope this helps.

shadow1w2

Still here.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you blew a fuse. I've heard they're easy to replace, there's two fuses, might want to test them. I forgot what name they were given. It has happend when like 2 people used a Supercard(was tested by Realhotstuff to confirm), or when people us a flashcarts that use CF and when the boot it with a cf in, the pins were bent, and it shorts the fuse. If you can find a place that sells it, and also the picture showing where the fuses are you might be able to save a ton of money, assuming that is the fuses.
EDIT: I did some searching found a thread regarding the fuses. Hope this helps.

Actually that helped alot.

Turns out it was the F2 fuse that was busted.
I guess that goes first in case of crossed power. Was starting to think nintendo got lazy or something. Im the one lazy in this case. What else would a little chip fuse with a "F2" be? A fuse duh ;P

Anyway, I found an old little piece of wire I had lieing around. It came from a AAA battery pack I used for my Dreamcast VMUs. Thankfully I hve two packs, but one broke apart, so mightaswell use the bit of wire fo my DS right?

Im waiting to borrow a soldering iron, then It'll work again
happy.gif

Though with teh screens mesed up. (bottom overused and top turned blue) Its really only good for use as a controlelr or MP3 streamer now. The blue screen is getting too annoying for me. But it makes one hell of a good controller
happy.gif

Anyway, thanks for the info, was a big help.

Now to see if theres a way to fix the top scren. Worn cable I guess?
Plus anyone have a spare bottom screen they arent useing?
That makes me think, I wonder if I could replace the NDS silver touch screen with a DSlite's screen... hmm, maybe not. I'll make a new thread about that later.

Thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm sleepy good night