Silicon Knights Was Working on Eternal Darkness 2.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Was being the key word here.

First, though, let's back up a bit. Silicon Knights had a great track record on the GameCube, creating the much beloved Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. At the same time, they had been slaving away for years on a little title called "Too Human", a game surely destined to be their masterpiece.

Let's just say it didn't work out that way. Too Human was released to mediocre reviews and apathy from consumers. Their next project was X-Men Destiny, and the reception of that game was even worse. Now the company has five staff members to its name, including founder Denis Dyack.

According to a new report, though, it seems that Silicon Knights was trying to create a demo for Eternal Darkness 2 during development of X-Men Destiny.

[​IMG] Eurogamer

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

The report goes on to describe how the developer cared little for the X Men title, and repeatedly siphoned resources from the title for this demo. It even appears that Silicon Knights kept Activision, its publisher at the time, in the dark about all this.

Needless to say, X Men Destiny flopped hard, and Silicon Knights was hit with serious layoffs. They've gone from being a respected name in the industry to becoming a mockery of itself (Silly-con Knights, if you will).

As for the sequel to Sanity's Requiem, don't get your hopes up. It looks like the franchise may just be stuck in Eternal Darkness.

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Once they were great knights but now they are mere peasants.

Punyman and Gahars like this.
  3. Gahars
    OP

United States
    If to err is human, then they were certainly too human.

4. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Silicon's problems illustrated that they weren't perfect machines but rather fallible humans. Perhaps too human for their own good.

Gahars likes this.
  5. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    When will the requiem be held for this?

...but pun aside: the first time I heard about Silicon knights wasn't on Eternal Darkness or any of their other titles...it was when they tried to sue Epic games for not giving enough info on how to use the tools for the unreal engine (the Unreal Engine 3 was still new or in heavy development back then).
    I don't think they won that case.

6. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    it seems amazing as soon as Nintendo lets these developers go, they always end up in the shit. Shame too, I enjoyed there stuff on the GC too

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Played Eternal Darkness recently for the first time in years...it wasn't actually as good as I thought it was, it was kinda meh+. What with Silicon Knights losing most of their key staff and being a lot worse everyone knows that this is for the best. Besides, they may have been working on it but Nintendo probably would have rejected it what with it likely to have sucked massive balls and the first game not selling too well.

8. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    The Catboy is extremely sadden by this news! :(
    I freaking love Eternal Darkness and was so pumped for a 2! I hope one day someone picks back up on the project.

9. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    It's a Nintendo conspiracy. HATERS UNITE!

clarky likes this.
  10. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Well Nintendo did get to see their "work in progress" stuff while these devs are with them and think "seriously, you spent all that time on *insert game* and this is the best you can do? Nah, we're not publishing it...YO MICROSOFT? THIS IS FOR YOU BROS!"

You can be damn sure that they're more than happy that they sold Rare and didn't want to take Too Human.

11. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    Too Human was kind of doomed to rubbish I feel, I mean SK starting working on it as a PSOne game to GC to where it ended up, kind of tells you through 3 console generations that thing was never going to be saved, yet alone have a trilogy.

As for Rare, if the Stamper Bros didn't sell there 51% shares of RareWare to Microsoft, I would imagine they would still be with Nintendo now

12. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    I haven't played Eternal Darkness yet, but from what I can gather, it's good. And totally appropriate for Halloween, it's to bad that there won't be a sequel..

13. Gahars
    OP

United States
    It got dismissed, and Epic actually won a counter-suit against them for $4.5 million.

So yeah, that backfired on them a bit.