1. LyuboA

LyuboA Unknown Entity

Bulgaria
    you can use "aio switch updater" to update sigpatches and Atmosphere

exfat is not rubbish at all just Switch had very bad exfat driver but since ofw 9 or 10 cant remember the driver got updated and i wanted to check if it was fixed been using exfat on two Switch consoles 512GB cards not a single issue with Atmosphere about corruption some homebrew can corrupt the sd card or files but from what i've seen it the same for both fat32 and exfat like "homebrew appstore" and for over 6 months all the consoles i make for other ppl i format in exfat not one complaint for corruption its a different story with SXOS

Ichigo-Bankai likes this.
  2. PHiLiPZ

PHiLiPZ GBAtemp Regular

Slovakia
    can you please provide source for this information?

3. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Maybe you should "Google fu" this '"exfat journaling" to get a better idea about exfat and corruption issues. It's not a driver thing at all - it's just the way exfat works. The standard exFAT implementation is not journaled and only uses a single file allocation table and free space map. This means if the sd card is being written to when the switch crashes, the file allocation table can become corrupted and there's no backup (as there is in fat32), to recover from.

The only benefit using exfat over fat32 for switch - is for files over 4GB in size, but when installing game from USB/Network/HDD - this is not an issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

peteruk likes this.
  4. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I initially used AIO updater and assumed it hadn't worked because I still saw the little "!" above my first listed title.
    Turns out I was just thinking it was corrupted data because I attempted to run it once without sigpatches

5. PHiLiPZ

PHiLiPZ GBAtemp Regular

Slovakia
    Neither Fat32 nor exFat is journaled but the latter is known to be more corruption prone. Has the driver really been fixed?

Zap Rowsdower likes this.
  6. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Yes you're right. On exfat files/folders can become missing from the file allocation table if the switch crashes, not so with fat32 - because exFAT does not have a 2nd FAT like fat32. With fat32 these files/folder are read from the non corrupted file allocation table and can be restored, then a new backup file allocation table gets written. Probably for most fat32 is the better choice for switch, exfat for me has caused quite a few problems in the past - not so with fat32.

peteruk likes this.
  7. PHiLiPZ

PHiLiPZ GBAtemp Regular

Slovakia
    ExFAT does optionally support transactions, I was hoping that was added to the driver.

8. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Why does Nintendo not just fix it?

9. Diginic

Diginic Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    You want Nintendo to fix their software so it works better when unauthorized software crashes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. LyuboA

LyuboA Unknown Entity

Bulgaria
    we Now have AutoIPS for FS patches too Thanks to crckd and mrdude hope es patches will be done too

11. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Newbie
    Newcomer

Finland
    I cannot see thread like this for newest fusee-primary. Does it mean most people are using nowadays Hekate or are applications leaning more towards secondary?

12. Zoria

Zoria Newbie
    Newcomer

France

the fs patch generation works fine

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  13. LyuboA

LyuboA Unknown Entity

Bulgaria
    this archive contains All patches just delete the bootloader folder or download Only fusee.zip from "ITotalJustice github" repo

14. BaamAlex

BaamAlex CVE-2018-6242

Germany
    It is a driver thing. The reason is that Nintendo's FAT driver is buggy and constantly changes files and folders, even during simple reads. The changes are never properly synchronized with the file system, which means that when an application exits/reboots/shuts down uncleanly, the file handlers are lost and subsequently missing from the File Allocation Table. This also happens with FAT32. Since exFAT, unlike FAT32, does not have a second backup file allocation table, the data and folders are irretrievably lost.

15. DarkMatterCore

DarkMatterCore I like turtles.
    Developer

Venezuela
    It's actually a bit of both if you consider exFAT volumes don't have a backup file allocation table, unlike previous FAT filesystems. Nevermind, you're aware of that fact. It is indeed something that must be taken into consideration.

Even though corruption issues are clearly linked to the PrFILE2-based driver used by Nintendo, cleanly exiting an application doesn't guarantee a filesystem corruption won't take place. This has been thoroughly tested by some homebrew devs - it is that bad. Manually committing filesystem changes after each file close (that was written to) isn't enough.

Last edited by DarkMatterCore, Jan 27, 2021
    PHiLiPZ and BaamAlex like this.
  16. Escape1975

Escape1975 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I've never had any issues using exFAT on my SD card, and I believe a backup file allocation table is optional with exFAT,
    and I don't know which option Nintendo licensed from eSOL.

17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    This is what everyone who has corruption says. Its not matter of how, its a matter of when. It will corrupt eventually. There is no reason to use exFAT on the Switch.

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  18. ShadowOne333

OP ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO
    Developer

Mexico
    Yeah dudes, never use exFat for Switch homebrew (or anything Switch at that).
    If it hasn't failed yet... Be sure it will at a moment in time :^}

19. BaamAlex

BaamAlex CVE-2018-6242

Germany
    True, I never buckle up in the car and it has never happened anything. It's just scaremongering by the car industry to sell more belts!

Tyvar1, PHiLiPZ and DarkMatterCore like this.
  20. Escape1975

Escape1975 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Well, I'll keep running exFAT and see what happens :)

Switch by default formats exFAT on SD cards bigger than 32GB,
    and I would think they would issue a firmware update change if lots of people had issues,
    why would they cause themselves all the trouble supporting customers who have issues ...

I think a lot of these problems are user related issues, but maybe I'm wrong :)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Sigpatches, Atmosphere, secondary