Hacking Sigpatches for Atmosphere (Hekate, fss0, fusee & package3)

LyuboA

Unknown Entity
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Thank you I got it working. Though I have 1 question. I had 1 app that I tried to run to test of sigpatches were working a while back. After getting them working it is now saying the app is corrupted data and crashes the system when attempting to check for corrupted data.

you can use "aio switch updater" to update sigpatches and Atmosphere

Atmosphere sometimes crashes and writes logs to the sd card (it even writes logs when not crashing). The facts are that exfat is a rubbish file system and if a log is being written and Atmosphere crashes at the same time - this can corrupt the sd card. Stick to using fat32. You can get around the logs being written like this:
Create an empty file in notepad, save it with the same name as the folders in atmosphere where logs are written - remove the folder when logs are stored and put the file with the same name in it's place. Now logs won't be written you your card and it will less prone to corruption.

exfat is not rubbish at all just Switch had very bad exfat driver but since ofw 9 or 10 cant remember the driver got updated and i wanted to check if it was fixed been using exfat on two Switch consoles 512GB cards not a single issue with Atmosphere about corruption some homebrew can corrupt the sd card or files but from what i've seen it the same for both fat32 and exfat like "homebrew appstore" and for over 6 months all the consoles i make for other ppl i format in exfat not one complaint for corruption its a different story with SXOS

Reactions: Ichigo-Bankai

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
exfat is not rubbish at all just Switch had very bad exfat driver but since ofw 9 or 10 cant remember the driver got updated and i wanted to check if it was fixed been using exfat on two Switch consoles 512GB cards not a single issue with Atmosphere about corruption some homebrew can corrupt the sd card or files but from what i've seen it the same for both fat32 and exfat like "homebrew appstore" and for over 6 months all the consoles i make for other ppl i format in exfat not one complaint for corruption its a different story with SXOS

Maybe you should "Google fu" this '"exfat journaling" to get a better idea about exfat and corruption issues. It's not a driver thing at all - it's just the way exfat works. The standard exFAT implementation is not journaled and only uses a single file allocation table and free space map. This means if the sd card is being written to when the switch crashes, the file allocation table can become corrupted and there's no backup (as there is in fat32), to recover from.

The only benefit using exfat over fat32 for switch - is for files over 4GB in size, but when installing game from USB/Network/HDD - this is not an issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Reactions: peteruk

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can use "aio switch updater" to update sigpatches and Atmosphere

I initially used AIO updater and assumed it hadn't worked because I still saw the little "!" above my first listed title.
Turns out I was just thinking it was corrupted data because I attempted to run it once without sigpatches

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Neither Fat32 nor exFat is journaled but the latter is known to be more corruption prone. Has the driver really been fixed?

Yes you're right. On exfat files/folders can become missing from the file allocation table if the switch crashes, not so with fat32 - because exFAT does not have a 2nd FAT like fat32. With fat32 these files/folder are read from the non corrupted file allocation table and can be restored, then a new backup file allocation table gets written. Probably for most fat32 is the better choice for switch, exfat for me has caused quite a few problems in the past - not so with fat32.

Reactions: peteruk

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you're right. On exfat files/folders can become missing from the file allocation table if the switch crashes, not so with fat32 - because exFAT does not have a 2nd FAT like fat32. With fat32 these files/folder are read from the non corrupted file allocation table and can be restored, then a new backup file allocation table gets written. Probably for most fat32 is the better choice for switch, exfat for me has caused quite a few problems in the past - not so with fat32.
Why does Nintendo not just fix it?

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I cannot see thread like this for newest fusee-primary. Does it mean most people are using nowadays Hekate or are applications leaning more towards secondary?

LyuboA

Unknown Entity
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I cannot see thread like this for newest fusee-primary. Does it mean most people are using nowadays Hekate or are applications leaning more towards secondary?

this archive contains All patches just delete the bootloader folder or download Only fusee.zip from "ITotalJustice github" repo

Reactions: Ichigo-Bankai

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
. It's not a driver thing at all - it's just the way exfat works
It is a driver thing. The reason is that Nintendo's FAT driver is buggy and constantly changes files and folders, even during simple reads. The changes are never properly synchronized with the file system, which means that when an application exits/reboots/shuts down uncleanly, the file handlers are lost and subsequently missing from the File Allocation Table. This also happens with FAT32. Since exFAT, unlike FAT32, does not have a second backup file allocation table, the data and folders are irretrievably lost.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
It is a driver thing. The reason is that Nintendo's FAT driver is buggy and constantly changes files and folders, even during simple reads. The changes are never properly synchronized with the file system, which means that when an application exits/reboots/shuts down uncleanly, the file handlers are lost and subsequently missing from the File Allocation Table. This also happens with FAT32. Since exFAT, unlike FAT32, does not have a second backup file allocation table, the data and folders are irretrievably lost.
It's actually a bit of both if you consider exFAT volumes don't have a backup file allocation table, unlike previous FAT filesystems. Nevermind, you're aware of that fact. It is indeed something that must be taken into consideration.

Even though corruption issues are clearly linked to the PrFILE2-based driver used by Nintendo, cleanly exiting an application doesn't guarantee a filesystem corruption won't take place. This has been thoroughly tested by some homebrew devs - it is that bad. Manually committing filesystem changes after each file close (that was written to) isn't enough.

Last edited by DarkMatterCore,

Escape1975

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've never had any issues using exFAT on my SD card, and I believe a backup file allocation table is optional with exFAT,
and I don't know which option Nintendo licensed from eSOL.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah dudes, never use exFat for Switch homebrew (or anything Switch at that).
If it hasn't failed yet... Be sure it will at a moment in time :^}

Escape1975

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is what everyone who has corruption says. Its not matter of how, its a matter of when. It will corrupt eventually. There is no reason to use exFAT on the Switch.

Well, I'll keep running exFAT and see what happens :)

Switch by default formats exFAT on SD cards bigger than 32GB,
and I would think they would issue a firmware update change if lots of people had issues,
why would they cause themselves all the trouble supporting customers who have issues ...

I think a lot of these problems are user related issues, but maybe I'm wrong :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end