Signature size/height rule now enforced

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Since a lot of members were disrespecting the maximum signature height rule (150 px) we have enforced it automatically through CSS. We removed a lot of sigs over the years but it seems people still dont care for the rules.

As of now any signature over 150 pixels in size will be automatically cut off.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Why not just make signatures scrollable if they exceed a certain limit? Using ImageMagick to size down images is also an option for signatures that exceed the limit.
again, if your signature needs more than a 150 pixel high space, you probably dont understand what a signature is supposed to be
upload_2017-3-12_17-3-48.png

Reactions: AlanJohn

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
again, if your signature needs more than a 150 pixel high space, you probably dont understand what a signature is supposed to be
View attachment 81055

The thing is, we have no use for what they are supposed to be (our names and profile pics are right there). For us, its just a method of free expression. If you really want the 150 pixel thing (which is completely acceptable), just make it scroll-able/expandable. If it doesn't hurt anybody, and the majority of people want it, why the hell wouldn't you add it? The only reason you've given so far isn't even a reason, its just a flaw with the name sigs were given.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
The thing is, we have no use for what they are supposed to be (our names and profile pics are right there). For us, its just a method of free expression. If you really want the 150 pixel thing (which is completely acceptable), just make it scroll-able/expandable. If it doesn't hurt anybody, and the majority of people want it, why the hell wouldn't you add it? The only reason you've given so far isn't even a reason, its just a flaw with the name sigs were given.
1. lets say you are scrolling the page with your mouse at the center... your scrolling would be constantly interrupted because it would scroll the signature spaces randomly
2. it would make it a lot harder for us to moderate if we had to scroll signatures systematically
3. honestly most people already dont read sigs, what makes you think people would even want to scroll to read things that are usually so insignificant
I could go on but I dont think that will be necessary. We just won't do it so might as well get over it

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. lets say you are scrolling the page with your mouse at the center... your scrolling would be constantly interrupted because it would scroll the signature spaces randomly
2. it would make it a lot harder for us to moderate if we had to scroll signatures systematically
3. honestly most people already dont read sigs, what makes you think people would even want to scroll to read things that are usually so insignificant
I could go on but I dont think that will be necessary. We just won't do it so might as well get over it

concerning #1:
use an expantion button instead.

concerning #2:
How is that any different than now? The only thing that would be different would be that when you see a sig, you would just click one button to view the entire sig.

concerning #3:
They dont have to read the sigs. No one is forcing anyone too. It would just be nice to link all our specs and project links. Once again this one isn't even a legitimate reason. some people don't but others do.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love this, thank you.

For those asking for expandable signatures: you have no idea how that will degenerate one day. Trust me, I've seen it myself. Why bother checking posts at this point, if the signatures are as big as the whole page?

That would be the point of them being expandable/collapsible. If its way too long, just collapse it. Am I missing anything here? Nice otter by the way. ;)

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be the point of them being expandable/collapsible. If its way too long, just collapse it. Am I missing anything here? Nice otter by the way. ;)
It would defeat the purpose entirely, considering it's just a signature. Something that says "hey, it's me" or it adds some cool stuff. I used to advertise my Stylish addons for Gbatemp in there before I removed them and have no idea which account I used.
I used to visit a crappy platform where you could make your forum for free. One day they allowed unlimited signatures and hell broke on heart: it took ages to load anything correctly and all of them had so much content yet they were so... bland. At this point, it's better to have either a link to your blogpost with all the stuff you'd like to put in or to have a geocities-like webpage with the same idea in mind. Trust me, everyone will hate it and you will hate it too after a few days. I have the "sent from xxx using tapatalk" extra signature when I write from mobile and it still pisses me off. I might remove it soon.

To put it in perspective, it's like you were to send a 2 pages-long extra post whenever you are posting something on Facebook, and those 2 pages are all about the same thing.

Also, thank you! It was the work of that genius man @AlanJohn. I put the idea, he did the rest. And boy what rest <3 (still looking for an avatar though, if you notice this message).

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
So they just cut off? Like it just snips off? Why not make it just resize? The person would still have their sig they wanted and you wouldn't have to do anything about it since it would be a plugin or something. Win win! So why not do that?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
it has no images. and i know regulars that have tall signatures. and thats what the spoiler sections are for.
Here, I'll show you why large text based signatures are frowned upon. This screenshot shows your last post, a one line post.
Now, it takes up almost a whole window page in size... now imagine a discussion where everyone has such a huge signature, it would severely mess up the flow of the actual forum content.

sigsize.png

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Here, I'll show you why large text based signatures are frowned upon. This screenshot shows your last post, a one line post.
Now, it takes up almost a whole window page in size... now imagine a discussion where everyone has such a huge signature, it would severely mess up the flow of the actual forum content.

View attachment 84481
thats why the 150px is a thing. is it not?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
thats why the 150px is a thing. is it not?
Indeed it is, since people just couldn't stick to the rules we had to force that limit instead.

This doesn't stop some people from seeing these huge signatures. (Disabling javascript or whatever circumvents this fixed max height layout).
And if most people won't see it either way: why still have it there?

Besides, screen readers (for people with seeing disabilities) will read the whole signature. Selecting, copying and pasting will select the hidden text still... There are many ways a huge signature messes with other users.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Indeed it is, since people just couldn't stick to the rules we had to force that limit instead.

This doesn't stop some people from seeing these huge signatures. (Disabling javascript or whatever circumvents this fixed max height layout).
And if most people won't see it either way: why still have it there?

Besides, screen readers (for people with seeing disabilities) will read the whole signature. Selecting, copying and pasting will select the hidden text still... There are many ways a huge signature messes with other users.
Btw, is my sig fine now?

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
but setting this up like this means you can only put a few lines of text and spoilers are useless cause they take up the whole space just about.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

my projects show up at least :^)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse