Sierra is Resurrected, More at Gamescom 2014

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Foxi4, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    After years of silence, the following teaser popped up out of nowhere, suggesting that Activision Blizzard, the company which currently owns Sierra, has resurrected the studio. Sierra was a video game company responsible for Space Quest, King's Quest and other wonderful games which laid the foundations of the point-and-click video game genre. Their website used to re-direct to Activision's homepage, but now has been updated and displays the teaser above. Does this mean that we'll see some classic Sierra franchises coming back to life at Gamescom? Only time will tell.​

2. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Didn't these guys own the rights to Crash Bandicoot at one point or another?

3. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    They used to publish Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games, yes.

4. Hyro-Sama

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth

I thought so. I remember seeing their old logo on couple of Crash PS2 titles. Doubt they'll be reviving the series though. However, a naive boy can dream. T_T

5. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's within the realm of possibilities, although with Activision owning Sierra anyways, they didn't need to revive a studio that merely published the games. I think this is about some Sierra-owned IP, something that was always inseparably linked with them, like Gabriel Knight or the Quest games.

6. EZ-Megaman

EZ-Megaman Likeanator

Aug 11, 2009
    The Quest for Glory series was pretty fun (though a bit easy). Haven't played their other games, but I'll keep an eye on what they make.

GamerzHell9137 likes this.
  7. Hyro-Sama

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth

Probably. Showcasing new ones or reviving older IPs that aren't fresh in the general public's memory present a more favorable opportunity for success than Crash Bandicoot currently. Doesn't help that the franchise went into limbo afterwards once Radical went defunct and that the games developed by them were pretty uninspiring. (The Crash ones. Never played Prototype.) In a perfect world, Activision would release Crash back to Sony and he would receive a proper revival on the PS4/Vita.

8. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That would be a perfect day.

9. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I don't think you can consider it a resurrection if they don't have any real Sierra people involved. Ken and Roberta Williams are working on a game with their son, the two guys from Andromeda rejoined forces to create a new space-themed quest. Al Lowe went back to work on Leisure Suit Larry, which is owned not by Activision, Jane Jensen has gone on to start Pinkerton Road Studio to develop Moebius... The only thing that may be resurrected are the IPs, but I wouldn't hold my breath on them having the same magic when all the magicians have moved on.

Taleweaver, Steena and Foxi4 like this.
  10. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I guess you're right, but here's for hoping that they make good use of what they have and hire talented people. If they want to put a a fresh breath of life into Sierra, they'll need all the professionals they can get. I'm also skeptic, but hopeful. Who knows, maybe new magicians can show us some of their new tricks.

11. DaRk_ViVi

DaRk_ViVi Sending you back... to the future!

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    Oh God, I'm here late to the party and still no one pointed this out:
    Sierra Games at Gamescon + Valve teasing Source Engine 2 in DOTA2?
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

12. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Maybe. First I'd want to see what IPs they're looking at resurrecting and what they want to do with them. Until then, though, I'll be looking to the talent that left Sierra and see what they're doing on their own. I'm looking forward to the release of SpaceVenture.

13. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    ZOMG My Childhood Is Back!!! I want a new release of The Incredible Machine!

14. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    I sense an Incredible Machine HD remake for PS4, XBOX One, and Wii U in our future! ;)

15. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    I have not yet given up on you, Dr. Brain...

16. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    FINALLY A POSSIBLE SPACE QUEST 7 I love that series (including the wacky ways of dying....being eaten by a mushroom on Labion in SQ2 was funny that and the sticky tree death some of the remakes/fan games were good I hope they go back to the art style of 4 and 5 6 was cartoonish hated that

17. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Sony was just publisher. The film studio Universal owned the PS1 games.

18. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Sierra's Grand Prix Legends still is one of the most recognized sim-racers for the hardcore audience... Good to know that they're back... but maybe it is just the brand, not the guys from those times, if it is the case, Sierra's back means no shit...

19. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Most of the old Sierra developers went on to create their own companies - this isn't the same Sierra we grew up with. I hope it will carry on with the spirit of the original Sierra and will release quality software for a new audience though.

20. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    HALFLIFE 3 CONFIRMED