Sid Meier's Civilization V announced (PC)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firaxis announced a few days ago that Civilization V is now in development and on the way. Pants were appropriately jizzed (or maybe that was just me)
tongue.gif

civ-v-430.jpg

Civ 5 will used a brand new engine developed from the ground up. New innovations include a hexagonal grid, which will allow more realism and strategy in movement. I assume this will mean 12-directional movement as opposed to previous 8-directions, but we'll see. Diplomacy will be handled full screen and with detailed fully animated leaders speaking in their native language. According to the source, people who are not inclined to participate in negotiations will notice that wars will be waged on a more grand and epic scale. I assume this means bigger armies and the screens seem to point towards this.

In other news, Civ 5 is reported to include "extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements, and an in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other."

Also here are a couple of screens ingame (which i hope work without hotlinking issues)-

civ_v_03.jpg

civ_v_01.jpg

civ_v_02.jpg

This game is well along in development and according to sources, is scheduled for release Fall this year, 2010. We'll see how it holds up, i'm a huge fan of the series.
biggrin.gif

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1070111p1.html

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it took them thing long to realize to add the hexagon grid. other RTS have been using it for ages now
laugh.gif

not sure though i like how the combat is going to be like in this.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully I will have forgotten about it by the time it gets to be released, these games always seem to suck down many hours.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like these games, but I never know if I'm playing them right or not.

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gore said:
Same here, I didn't know how to make the people of the cities less angry and less sick, I was always afraid that the number of people angry or sick would be higher than that of healthy people and happy people..

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
God I'm jazzed for this game. When I started playing Civ IV, I was doing all day marathon sessions. My main beef with the game was how similar the combat was from Pirates!. And how everyone always wanted to start a war with me.
closedeyes.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
it took them thing long to realize to add the hexagon grid. other RTS have been using it for ages now
laugh.gif

not sure though i like how the combat is going to be like in this.

It's actually more restrictive. The older Civs games gave you 8 points of attack since you can also attack diagonally.

Gore said:

You could just read about what you're building. They do a pretty good job of explaining what you need to do to achieve a certain victory.

Cablephish said:
QUOTE(Gore @ Feb 21 2010, 07:53 AM)
Same here, I didn't know how to make the people of the cities less angry and less sick, I was always afraid that the number of people angry or sick would be higher than that of healthy people and happy people..

Same thing as above. If you read the details about what you're building, what government you are, etc. you should know exactly what to do. If you're town is sick, you'd probably built your city around a flood plain (=malaria, etc) so build medical techs, or if your town is unhappy, you'd build a colossum or a temple. Additionally, if your government type permits it, you can simply station troops in the cities to quell riots and essentially force the people to be happy i.e. a police state.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
FAST6191 said:
these games always seem to suck down many hours.

This is true, but the game does not have to be completed in one sitting.

I can't help myself i always go for total annihilation, i am at em straight from the word go.

On a side note: the music in the introduction on Civ 4 is awesome!

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zhuzhuchina said:
exagon should give 6 movements directions, why 12 ?
Considering that you could move 8 directions in most other civ games, i'm assuming 12 here. Just because they said to allow greater range of movement and strategy. What makes me think this is that in past civ games (unsure about civ 1, but the rest anyways), the grid looked like squares. You'd think that would let you move in 4 directions, but you could move in any diagonal direction as well, so that made 8 possible directions. I AM assuming this (although i think it's a fair assumption), but i would assume that a hexagon grid would allow 12 directions, provided they keep the ability to move across the points AND strait line of each hexagon. Here's a crude diagram of what i'm talking about-

28945627.png

In classic Civ games, you could move along every strait line of the square, as well as every point (diagonal edge). That amounted to 8 directions. Here, we have haxagonal spaces. Assuming they keep the ability to move along every line AND point, the area of movement increases to 12. And that makes sens considering if they only allowed 6 directions, we'd be getting a downgraded experience. Hope i'm right.

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:

This makes sense, but looking at the shots, it would seem like an awful big jump to go on the 'diagonals' of the hexagon. Still I can't really fathom the Civilization series taking a step back like that.

This is pretty exciting, though, either way. Besides Lego Island (LOL) the Civilization games are the only ones I've played on PC. Hope I don't need a new graphics card, I have an absolute shit one ><

EDIT: Also, if we don't get Reagan or (preferably) Nixon as a commander for the US, I will boycott this. I'm sick of playing as FDR and Washington.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Sonicslasher said:
God I'm jazzed for this game. When I started playing Civ IV, I was doing all day marathon sessions. My main beef with the game was how similar the combat was from Pirates!. And how everyone always wanted to start a war with me.
closedeyes.gif

Gosh, Josh! Not even video games like you!

zhuzhuchina

Trophies
Website
www.zhuzhuchina.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
we will see, i appreciate exagon too, it remembers me panzer general series and other old wargame . probably archers cannon and other range unit will be able to shot 2/3 "square" too, and improve defense for next unit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse