shrinking .avi's

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dthruking, Apr 19, 2007.

Apr 19, 2007

shrinking .avi's by Dthruking at 1:01 AM (601 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Dthruking
    OP

Newcomer Dthruking Advanced Member

United States
    hi i know this is off the topic for the wii forum but i need some help lol.

im trying to burn a tv season on to 1 dvd by making a data dvd with the avi files

its 13 episodes long and each episode is 348 MB's. Its 50 mb's to big to fit on one dvd so does anyone have any advice on how i can shrink these down to fit on the dvd? any help would be appreciated

thanks

Dthruking

2. link459

Member link459 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wrong forum. [​IMG]

But, I'll answer anyway.

Google "HC018"

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @link459 I do not think an mpeg2 encoder is called for here, by the way 0.19 is out.

Anyhow you have two options as I see it, drop the credits (best route assuming the credits are there and are just text)
    Do it with anything that will split up avi, http://www.free-codecs.com/Software/Video_Editors.htm has a few.

The other option is to transcode your avi file to use a lower bitrate, if it were a normal dvd there are a few tools but this may get a bit more tricky.
    To shave 50 megs off one file entails around a 15% overall reduction in bitrate or best guess around 200kbps (20%) if you just do the video. This will mean quite a hit in quality so I strongly suggest doing 2 or 3 files.

Hit compression with the menu as follows. The bottom picture shows ffdshow's encoding component but you can use what you like, a bitrate calculator may also help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]