OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So HAI ._.
I'm going to tell you all a short story. A story that is about as dear to my heart as the trashcan outside. Many moons ago, my roommate found an iPhone 4S. It's white in color, has a lock on it, and had a grey casing. Prior to this event, he had once found a key to a car (though we never could find the car it went to, and thus we never found the owner either). Anyways, this iPhone 4S was kept locked away, hidden from society until unearthed one day about at least a month after by my other roommate, who promptly asked about it, learning that that it was indeed found somewhere. Now the roommate that found the phone said he attempted to contact the owner...but I'm guessing he wasn't really trying ._.

He later asked me (being the slightly more tech inclined of the three of us) how to factory reset an iPhone, and of course, at this time I had no idea that he had found an iPhone and assumed that his iPhone had just gotten ruined somehow. I later learned that it was indeed found SOMEWHERE, though where was left completely ambiguous by said founder roommate.

Fast forwarding a couple of weeks, nothing much happened and the iPhone wasn't brought up again. Then a friend of his drops by (as many of his friends seem to do -___-"), and after his friend bitches about a taxi cab driver who denied him service because he was going to smoke in the taxi (WHICH THE TAXI DRIVER TOTALLY HAD THE RIGHT TO DO .______. ), they decide to take to the rooftops to smoke or something. As they leave the door, his friend catches sight of the iPhone and says something along the lines of "so when are you going to give me this?". A few lines I don't care about pass by talking about the reason why my roommate wasn't giving him the iphone that he found SOMEWHERE to his friend who is a dickwad yet.

While they were up on the roof, I decided to take a quick look at this iPhone myself. I noted that the battery was completely dead and decided to charge it for a bit and power it on. After powering on the device, right there in the middle of the screen, there is a like that says "This phone is lost, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx" and I was like ".___. Really? Are you shitting me? There is a fucking phone number on the fucking phone that describes how to contact the owner. Bullshit, you haven't tried returning the phone."

Thus I took it upon myself to hide the phone within the room, planning on transferring it out whenever I got the chance. This chance came within the week and it vanished entirely from the room. So now this iPhone is within my possession and I've decided to let my brother hold on to it until I decide what should be done with this iPhone.

This is where you ALL will come in.
Should I keep the phone and pretty much just use it as a way to test iOS applications for the hell of it?
Should I return it to my dick of a roommate who was planning on giving it to his friend?
Should I pawn it off to someone for a quick buck?
Should I return it to the owner even though it has already been months and the owner has probably already given up?
OR should I smash it with a hammer and burn it with fire?

What would YOU do if you found an iPhone 4S?

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I don't mean to be religious but it's strictly taught to me as a kid and in schools that whatever goes around comes around either here or in the after life.
Treat others as you want to be treated by them and so on.

I only ask you to imagine how losing your phone and somebody out of the blue would get it back would make you feel.
And for the love of whatever you hold dear, GET AN OTHER ROOMMATE!

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
MoralesWF.jpg
Ey, give that shit back, ese.
-Morales​

Par39

The Life Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'd try returning it. I have a story of my own about finding a lost phone.

I recently noticed a phone ringing on it's own at an anime convention, and after monitoring it for a bit, I decided to pick up since nobody around seemed to react to it. The caller was the owner, and he starts with "who picked up my phone?" Being a shy person, I get a bit flustered, and start explaining: "I noticed it alone on the table, and when it started ringing and nobody seemed to react to it, I thought to answer in case the owner is missing it." I tell him where I am and what my dress looks like, and he comes to pick it up. He was really happy to get his phone back, as it had a picture of him and one of the guests of honour, and he was so happy he got to meet him that he ended up leaving his phone behind.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Great, then it isn't just me who thinks that way.
I only ask you to imagine how losing your phone and somebody out of the blue would get it back would make you feel.
And for the love of whatever you hold dear, GET AN OTHER ROOMMATE!
I kind of did this a long time ago already when I found a different phone (although it was actually me that found it rather than someone else). That was solved by wrapping it in paper with a note written on it, and then putting it on a for sale sign in front of a house (it seemed like the most visible place at the time). Unfortunately, the lady who owned the phone also though of showing her gratitude by shuffling through each of the houses trying to find the person who did that and when she came asking if I had put a lost phone on the for sale sign I was like "Oh shit, is this the lady who owns the house? What if she is pissed at me D:". I think she gave me a $20 for my troubles.

So now this extends to a slightly different reaction from my second roommate.
As a small backstory, my two roommates have a sort of..."I'm not going to bother with you" attitude due to certain things that have been eaten, scratched pans, not washing used dishes, etc. (which you can now assume who is the culprit behind these feats of human skill).

A couple days after I took the phone, my roommate noticed and was, of course, pissed. This is the same day that I was able to move the phone out of the apartment. My second roommate, much to his dismay, was going to text my other roommate for some other issue, but was trying to not make it sound harsh as he would rather not bother with any drama. The reply he got back was more than enough to show that my other roommate was pissed about the lost stolen iPhone that wasn't his to begin with. This sowed a small seed of doubt into my second roommate and prompted him to suggest to me to just return the iPhone to my other roommate, saying that karma would eventually get him back. Unfortunately, I was way too annoyed at the fact that my other roommate was trying to give away a phone he didn't even try to find the owner for, thus I continued with my plan.

So the next question would be, which way would have been the better way to go about this situation?
Should I have gone with the devious plan that I have already executed?
Should I have listened to my second roommate, given the iPhone back to my other roommate and forget about it?
Or should I have just continued to fruitlessly attempt getting my other roommate to return the phone despite knowing that he purposefully didn't try to return it AND was planning on giving it away?

Par39

The Life Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'd have snatched the phone too to return it to the original owner. Since they clearly don't care about giving it to the rightful owner, no point in badgering them hoping to get it returned.

Reactions: Hells Malice

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not a pikey so I'd try and return the phone.

NfoMonster

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nforush.net
XP
Country
Venezuela
Return it, it's good karma :) maybe some really nice chick lost it :PP who ever it is will be greatfull for it, and you will get yourself a couple beers and you will feel really good once you sense you did a good deed for someone :)

Arizato

Memento Mori
Trophies
XP
Country
Return the phone to it's rightful owner ASAP. You might be screwed if you keep it. That app which showed the message "This phone is lost, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx" is actually used to trace the phone. It can be done from another iOS device or a Mac, so chances are that the owner already knows where it is. It all might end up in a misunderstanding where you or your brother are accused of stealing the phone.

Do the right thing.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
make an attempt to return it. if that doesn't work... i'd say put it in an envelope and give it to the police saying you found it and have no progress finding its owner to give it back.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want Morales? Fine.

On topic, keeping stolen property is bad. Don't do that. Did you really need the internet to tell you that? Really?

Man, does anyone remember when moral dilemmas were actual, you know, dilemmas?

Reactions: Densetsu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol