1. Jmbenetti

Jmbenetti Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
    I usually don't like them, but I loved Rogue Legacy.

2. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I'm certainly inter...Wait, wait: I mean...

<*silence for comedic effect*>

I can dig this. B-)

<*complete and utter silence, save for some crickets and someone yawning*>

Aaaanyhow: I really liked the 2 steamworld dig games, and shovel knight obviously seems like a perfect fit.

Erm...isn't that a straight up contradiction? :unsure:

I mean...proper level design far outreaches the level itself but also takes consideration of the context in which it's created. A single level can be awesome, but if it's nearly repeated dozens of times it lowers the overall feel. And it's not like you can just string random levels together and call it a day. It'd be like a cook carefully selecting the best cooking ingredients...and then slapping them randomly together and pretend it'd be a better meal.

3. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Regular

France
    I see Nitrome, I buy

4. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Netherlands
    It's actually pretty straightforward.

You have two kinds of random generation.
    • Truly random generation, every level is regenerated from random bits and bobs of stage. A game that does this: Dead Cells
    • "Prefab" RNG: Either the stage itself or the layout of the stage is made up of prefabs. In the former case, there are for example 15 possibilities for the first stage and 15 possibilities for the second and so on. The RNG is then which of these stages is picked. The latter case is more random, but the prefabs are guaranteed to always fit together. Example for the latter: Spelunky.

Taleweaver likes this.
  5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I get what you try to say, and I understand the difference between those two ways. However, I wouldn't say either of those examples would have "meticulously crafted levels" (or any other game with randomly generated levels, for that matter).

Don't get me wrong: I enjoy games with randomly generated levels very much. The near-infinite amount of levels is even a plus in that aspect. But really: taken at face value, these levels are always just "okay" or "passable". None will ever stack up to , say, properly constructed Mario platformer levels.

6. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    For a moment I thought there was a Namco cross over with Mr.Driller.
    This works too though.
    curious if this ends up a mobile game and if so I hooe it has a simple premium purchase price.

7. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Netherlands
    The first part of prefab RNG is what they'll be doing. They'll have X amount of first stages, X amount of second stages and so on.

Those X first stages can still all be meticulously crafted, it just provides more variety in the gameplay itself.

8. R0B0T0

R0B0T0 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So glad that they are spending their time on features like this, rather than actual game content like King Of Cards that is way overdue.

Immortallix likes this.
  9. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    dont think they have entire stages on random .. that makes no sence therefore they would make 4 or 5 games in one lol.

each stage probably has several parts like passing through a door , or going down a hole and such and on this transition parts you get a random part so each stage is comprised of randomly generated parts.

10. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

United States
    This would actually be a great new direction for a Dig Dug/Mr Driller revival.

11. raine_em

raine_em Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Honestly, anything developed by Nitrome is an instant cop for me.

12. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes;Gate

Antarctica
    As a number one fan of Nitrome and Motherload (the first game inspired from dig dug that I ever played), I am very happy to see the genre resurfacing with SteamWorld: Dig and this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - platforms, announced, original