When it comes to dedicated indie development teams, Yacht Club Games is definitely up there, having provided updates for their hit game Shovel Knight for the five years after its initial release. A host of new quality of life features are coming to Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, with Plague of Shadows receiving a new menu to allow easier access to your arcanas, Specter of Torment getting five new challenges, and accessibility options are being added for the entire game, which helps those that are prone to flashing/shaking images or are colorblind. Three new amiibos of Plague Knight, Specter Knight, and King Knight have also been announced, which will unlock new costumes for the Nintendo Switch, 3DS, and Wii U versions.
More importantly, a brand new spinoff game has been revealed, in the form of Shovel Knight: Dig. Existing as a collaboration with developer Nitrome, Shovel Knight: Dig has "meticulously crafted levels" which are randomly generated together. Your goal is to dig down in order to explore, progress, and find upgrades. Jake Kaufman will also return to compose the soundtrack for the new game. Shovel Knight: Dig has been in development for almost a year, though no release date was given.
- In Shovel of Hope, we’ve finally added a third option for character pronouns. Alongside being able to choose between two body types for every main character, you can now switch the pronouns to they / them.
- You can now earn Shovel of Hope Feats while playing co-op. These are still quite challenging, and some are made even more challenging when coordinating with a friend!
- In Plague of Shadows, we’ve added an Alchemy Quick Select option. You can select your bombs and arcana with a convenient new menu, allowing you to experiment with explosives freely, just like the mad alchemist himself.
- In Specter of Torment, we added five all new platforming challenges to challenge mode. These are not meant for the faint of heart—the new challenges require significant command over Specter Knight’s iconic move: the dash slash.
- For all the games, including the upcoming King of Cards and Showdown, we have added three new language options! Korean and Traditional and Simplified Chinese. Bringing the total count to twelve!
- We’ve expanded Accessibility options across all games. The intensity of screen flash and screen shake events can now be reduced independently from one another. And King of Cards also has palettes to improve colorblind visibility for Joustus.
- Shovel Knight features hundreds of cheats to share and explore already! But we couldn’t resist adding just a few more. Some add whole new ways to play. Some of them might be a bit too much…
- Finally, once you have completed all feats in a game, you will unlock a small flag on the title screen to signify that game’s completion. In addition, once you have conquered every Challenge for that game, a medal will appear denoting your true mastery. If you’ve already completed each game, then don’t worry, these are awarded retroactively. Enjoy filling up the title screen with your many, hard-fought, knightly accomplishments!