SHOUT BOX COMPLAINT - MODS?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Kyuketsuki_M, Aug 14, 2007.

Aug 14, 2007
  1. Kyuketsuki_M
    OP

Member Kyuketsuki_M GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    This has been bothering me for a while, but today I've been pushed to complain about this.

There used to be a time when I had a choice not to open a post if I thought it was stupid, but then the SHOUT BOX was up on the front page.

I enjoy jokes, (even a little bit of smut) but lately it's been getting ridiculous. I'm not offended by f*** or s*** or any other words that children like to use to feel important, and it's only today that I've been affected by people using these words in the shout box.

See, my company has a filter against pages using swear words so every time someone uses a swear word, I'm not able to access gbatemp.net on my breaks....

Maybe nobody cares, but I've seen foul language, racism and worse in the shout box. Even if I try not to read it, some things still catch my eye.

This site used to be a reputable place to talk to like-minded people about my favorite handheld.....why did that have to change?

2. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    You can hide the shoutbox I believe.

3. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Yes, but he does still have a point...

- Sam

4. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Yeah, you can turn it off in your settings.

EDIT: My Controls / Personal Profile / Edit Profile info / Enable shoutbox?

5. Kyuketsuki_M
    OP

Japan
    I know I can hide the box (that's done at home) but why is this the only choice I have? Whoever visits this page the first time will see insults about 'your mum' and pretty dirty shit.

And again, the main thing is not what's written here. It's that I can't access the page from work. See I'm always using different PCs at work (my booth is different every day), and any cookies etc. are deleted regularly so its impossible to stay logged in (and dangerous,anyway).

Just an added thing. I want you all to understand that I'm not an angel. My own girlfriend calls me a pervert regularly. [​IMG] It's just that I say bad stuff where only adults can hear it, and if I have to write it...I try to make sure not to insult anyone else.

6. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Only people with more than 100 posts can see the shoutbox.

7. myclock

Member myclock GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    i thought it was for only 100+ post members?

8. Kyuketsuki_M
    OP

Japan
    Didn't know that...it's nice that new people aren't driven away when they see some of the stuff written up there. But why do the long term members have to swallow it up?

BTW, there are rules for the forums, but how about the shoutbox? Have I missed the page?

9. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Well, I'm awful sorry you don't like the shout box...

how bout a cute picture tp make you feel better?

[​IMG]

10. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Messages from the shoutbox can be deleted by staff. But honestly I haven't noticed a problem at all. Just randomly looking at it right now and I see absolutely nothing worth censoring.

We don't encourage foul and inappropriate behaviour on gbatemp. We do try to keep the shoutbox up to similar standards with the forum. New members can not see it or post in it, so only people who already have an image around the forums can use it.

Plus as a last resort you can turn the shoutbox off and forget about it.

11. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    If you knew there were rules for forums then why'd you ignore one when you made this topic title in all caps? [​IMG]

Anyways, new people can't see them and those with 100+ posts can turn the shoutbox off. I don't see any problems here at all. I don't even know exactly what your problem is. One moment it's the less than proper and intelligent posts in the shoutbox and next moment it's that your work deletes cookies regularly.

12. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    I think his point is, if he wants to read all about "gay" and "nigger", he can head to 4chan. But this here's a supposedly SFW site.
    Although, I have the shoutbox disabled, and you should do the same, dude. It's much faster and more efficient than starting a new thread to bitch about it...

13. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Try the lo-fi version of the site at work: http://www.gbatemp.net/lofiversion/index.php/ . It might not be ideal but it's better than nothing [​IMG]

You raise a good point, the shoutbox is hard to police. Looking down it though I agree with Opium, I went back as far as the 5th and didn't see anything bad enough to warrant being removed. Everyone has slightly different ideas of what they think is acceptable and not, it's finding a happy medium in the middle that's the tricky part.

14. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Hrmmm so your idea is to moderate everyone so you can surf gbatemp at work?

Doubt that's gonna happen...

15. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Set up a circumventor proxy server on your PC at home, and use that to access gbatemp.net (and any other blocked sites [​IMG])

16. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Proxy server ftw! When I was at school we got lucky and found a machine with admin rights, then we grabbed all of the connection settings and was able to run firefox from USB combined with extensions and proxy server, awesome stuff!

Psyfira - Never realised there was a low-fi version of the forum, cool! Is there any other neat stuff like that?

17. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    The lo-fi version went away for a while but it seems to be back now, it's rather useful on crazy high-traffic days. No more cool stuff that I know of. [​IMG]

18. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    Oh fudge, I forgot about the corporate filters. Sorry!