Hacking Should you get 128GB mSD for 3DS??? [WARNING: MATHS & MAGNETS]

D

Deleted User

he mentioned something interesting.
"working space" 8gb for saves, screenshots and other miscellaneous stuff

if you keep the nand backups in that sd card because "one more copy cant hurt" it's your choice..
however i am not the guy that keeps this stuff on the card, i keep the console without this kind of stuff to prevent accidents.. and if i plan to restore a nand or something, i will backup the msd card so, less 4 gbs= less to backup from the card...
thus on the computer i usually have a different name or a text file explaining to my future self the state of that nand backup (installed hax, installed games etc, date of backup, checksum codes to verify

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

heh, i don't really see the use for.. i mean, if your sd card is shared by other devices i can see why you would want exfat..
above 4gb all i can think is you would like to watch movies on the console..
however with it's resolution and specs even i doubt you can really want or will watch big ass movies on it..
thus streaming is a thing nowadays...

there are some 3ds cartridge dumps above 4gb, but it's not like you can use them without converting to cia...
...or splitting

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lookup basic how Hard Drives Filesystem works. Cluster, Sector, and and. Thats why...
I think his post was meant to be a humorous slap to people advising huge SD cards for no reason, not a real informative post about magnets.

More EDIT: For me this is another CFW IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN GATEWAY XOXOXOXO!<33 Thread... peps.. no one cares.. if it works.. it works.
Not sure why the conclusion to this would be that Gateway is inferior when on the contrary, since after reading that, you most likely agree that (either some people should stop filling cards with bullshit or) any SD card is too small, so having a second one in your red cart can help. And that's actually written in the first post.
So go ahead, get your 128GB mSD. Fill it. Then use your GW RedCart to store the rest of your garbage on another 128GB if you'd like.

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your_Magnets_Are_Here_Funny_Meme.jpg

Good posts folks.

Yes, you can hit 300 limit with VC games. But why? Might as well use a DSTwo and GWBlueCart. Only VC games you might really want are Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow when S&M are released...

YES!!!! 128GB DOES TAKE A LITTLE LONGER TO BOOT!!! It also seems to have some issues with FBI and doing a folder install/delete of .CIA's. Left a post for smea on that one...

Am I saying that 64GB or 32GB aren't worth it? Well... no. What I am saying is is if you're going to load up the 128GB with .CIA it's near impossible to hit 300 limit.

Run another EmuNAND? Why? I'm filling up space as it is... seriously, don't worry about limit unless you're going VC crazy. Maybe make a VC emuNAND? I dunnno... your prefs.

Yeah yeah yeah... 128GB is not really 128GB, blah blah blah. Good point, but I just wanted to make sure people understood how much room they'd actually be working with.

Yes, always backup your mSD & NAND backups. I was just being extremely gracious with giving enough room for A9LH & extra space. And I mean EXTREMELY.

The biggest issues I've been having with 128GB has been bad .CIA installs, or corrupted files. The moment I get an error from FBI my tickets get erased and I have to reformat.

Lately I have managed to fill my 128GB with a gracious 10GB free space and it seems to love it.

I prefer using FreeShop instead of loading .CIA files, both of which seem to take the same amount of time to install. However, there are the occasional few Mii games and updates which I'd ecommend using the .CIA for.

Otherwise, have fun folks!

Oh, and uh, don't put any magnets near your SD or 3DS. Just to be safe...

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm the kind of person that would just use whatever decently sized sd card i have at hand and bare with that. I pirate my games anyway so i can just delete em. I am currently using a 16 gb card. Sd cards are expensive in norway.

Reactions: Deleted User

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed a9lh with my 128gb micro SD card with no issues, games seem to run just as quickly, though if they do take slower to load the amount of time is so small extra that it is negligible. Don't know what quirks you've experienced with FBI using a 128gb micro SD card, but I've not had a single issue using FBI, and I use it a lot.

I have hit the 300 title limit with just about all of my sd card, nearly all data being used up (probably got about 200-400mb open space left), though a fair amount of titles are VC/injects, homebrew .Cias, and badges actually count toward the limit (though I don't believe the conversion is 1 to 1, it seems like it may be 2 placed badges count as 1 game title), and I probably have 10 to 15 of those placed as well. I do need a bigger micro SD card at this point because some bigger 3DS games are coming that i want, and while I can free up title space by removing VC titles I can already play on emulators on my 3DS, I need more data space. I've seen claims of 256gb and larger micro SD cards existing, but everything I've read and learned seems to suggest that right now the largest functional available micro SD cards are 200gb. Best Buy sells some at a fair price, so I'll probably end up buying from them.

Last edited by duffmmann,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is a parody post, but
128GB mSD formatted to FAT32 actually results in 117GB
gigabytes and gibibytes are different things
i've dealt with enough stupid questions from computer-illiterate folk to get mad about this raaargh

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who dabbles in VC and VC Injections, I happen to know the plight of running into the 300 title limit.

I have about 200 3DS games install, most of the good ones are in there too, which means for VC I have a hundred free spaces for them, and it's pretty easy to hit that roof. VC fills up quick. The most important thing is to only get the games you want to play yourself.

A lot of people add games they'll never play. Delete that shit! Just fill your console with crap you want to play! Don't worry about "covering" all the bases. Cover yourself only. It's your console. With that said:

The most adequate solution for the 300 title limit is to set up a RedNAND, unlink it, for some stuff and use your SysNAND for other stuff, expanding your limit to 600 titles. Personally I recommend using the RedNAND as your main NAND, and only use SysNAND for VC because of the whole GBA issue, but you can do whatever you want really.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Only slight issue on my n3ds/a9lh using a samsung evo+ 128gb, is that some payloads take longer to boot like Decrypt9 on start-up. I have filled around 48gb of CIA installs (retail titles) and around 5gb (VC titles)

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell I got a 64Gb almost full and I've played less then 20 games so far >.>

backlog too strong

3DS has such strong library. And I'm not even counting all the backward compatibility with DS and VC titles. Crazy to think how it had such rocky start, I seem to recall an IGN article praising the Vita and believing it would kill off the 3DS, haha good times.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fail to see how one could play more than 1/4 of all 3ds titles.
It is possible to play that many games, but the defining factor is how long does someone have to play before it is considered 'played'? Also, the line chart of "# Games Played vs Enjoyment/Boredom" starts to become a hyperbola after a while.

Tl;dr You can, but you become bored as f***.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible to play that many games, but the defining factor is how long does someone have to play before it is considered 'played'? Also, the line chart of "# Games Played vs Enjoyment/Boredom" starts to become a hyperbola after a while.

Tl;dr You can, but you become bored as f***.
That was basically the point I was making, that and there are only so many titles on the 3ds that would appeal to the majority of people who would go out and buy a 128gb sd card.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.