Gaming Should the Switch get YouTube Mobile or YouTube TV?

What version of YouTube should Google make for the Switch?

• Total voters

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you guys think will be a suitable version of YouTube for the Switch? YouTube TV is what all home consoles have as of now, but it is a pain-in-the-butt to navigate and use. All mobile devices have recieved the YouTube Mobile app, which is much better and cleaner, but the Switch isn't a mobile device. It's a hybrid. What do you guys think will work?

RiaJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mobile please. Just as you said, TV is pretty hard to navigate. Switch's multi touch screen should make it possible for the mobile app to work.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Reactions: PossiblyOne

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
The correct question is: Why not?

1. Google will have to put in the extra effort, which they won't do.

2. They are two different softwares with different....everything. Each app has its own way of doing things, they're not backwards-compatible.

You should probably research the meaning of the words "impossible" and "backwards compatible"

It would be perfectly possible for Google to make an app that switches interfaces. You're quite right, however, in suggesting that they probably won't *want* to go to all that effort.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm pretty much confident they will go for the Mobile version, or something akin to it.
Mostly since the hardware they have on the Switch is what they worked with previously for other Android devices, like the Shield.

Should be the best option to go for actually, ease to navigate, robust and with access to the Switch's touchscreen, much better than having to deal with navigation an on-screen keyboard with the Analog stick or DPad.

Oh wait, did I say DPad?
I meant those lame-ass buttons they put in place of one.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may be wrong but aren't the home console versions of YouTube just custom browsers that open up to the YouTube tv page?

The fire TV marketplace tags the app as a bookmark. The 3ds version was just a browser too.

This is likely a reason that a YouTube app hasn't came yet. A custom app would be needed to make use of touch controls. Seamless switching from tv to handheld would need a custom app too.

YouTubeTV

Last edited by GoldenBullet,

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may be wrong but aren't the home console versions of YouTube just custom browsers that open up to the YouTube tv page?

The fire TV marketplace tags the app as a bookmark. The 3ds version was just a browser too.

This is likely a reason that a YouTube app hasn't came yet. A custom app would be needed to make use of touch controls. Seamless switching from tv to handheld would need a custom app too.

YouTubeTV
Wii U app has touch controls. Just checked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c