Should the Supercard team update to the newset version of Moonshell

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by gameguy95, Jul 10, 2009.

?

Should the Supercard team update to the newset version of Moonshell

1. Yes, of course

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I guess it wouldn't hurt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gameguy95
    OP

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    like the title says do you think the Supercard Should team update to the newset version of Moonshell
    i want opinions not stupid flaming like "it will never happen" or "not a chance" JUST OPINIONS any why you think that

2. gameboymortal

Newcomer gameboymortal Member

United States
    supercard team is respecting the developer's wishes by not using any more of his work.at least, that is what is generally known.

edit:as for my opinion i think they should not use a newer moonshell instead i think they should develop their own menu.

3. HokageNaruto

Member HokageNaruto GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I agree with gameboy mortal. The supercard team should just create their own.

4. ZackF

Newcomer ZackF Member

United States
    If they can't get Moonshell to let them use the latest version, then they should make their own menu - with the same features as Moonshell.

5. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I'm all for it if they contact moonlight and acquire his permission. That old GUI sucks really badly. But if they can't get his permission, they AT LEAST need to create a new one of their own. I dislike their current GUI enough to use Ysmenu as my default firmware.

Here's what a new SCDS-One firmware needs-

- speed. Even with the update service pack, it's still slower than it should be
    - Cheat.dat support. SCC files suck big time
    - long save filenames. What are we still using, DOS???
    - save writing directly to the microSD. Currently, you have to not only save in-game, but you have to return to the firmware menu to back said save up to the microSD. Apparently this current method uses a PSRAM chip to temporarily save data. This is actually really annoying, especially since a lot of us older SCDSOne users have the PSRAM error which causes games to freeze up.

6. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    If anything the supercard team will use a modified version of sakura. (I didn't give it to them honest).

Granville: you fail, saves are direct to sd unless you choose to disable that which then uses hardware saving.

7. tylerxian

Member tylerxian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think they should create their own and make a faster GUI. By making their own they would have their own rights to it and they wouldn't have to rely on outside help.

8. hoist20032002

Member hoist20032002 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Granville you have a point about the SCC files.....they are quite loathsum.

9. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    They need to make their own menu, but, maybe, and I must say MAYBE, what if they are the card wich gona use menudo?

10. zkamuiz

Newcomer zkamuiz Member

Canada
    I think they should update the Moonshell, if people use it frequently it could be one of the DSone's selling points.

11. granville

United States
    Normmatt, I don't know if you understand how the hardware works (likely since you are head of AKAIO), but I've ALWAYS had to reenter the firmware to be able to back up the save file. And I've tested this as well, so there is no room for error on my part. If you do the self test when you boot the menu (L+R+UP IIRC), it will erase anything currently saved in the PSRAM. For me, that is where the save data is stored. I have had to do this test many times as my Supercard suffers from the deadly PSRAM error. On booting the menu up after conducting the self test, the save file is not present, or at least not up to date with the last saving. Simply put, the ONLY way my saves can be backed up to the microSD is if I enter the firmware GUI first (and when this happens, a message even pops up saying it's processing some save data).

Sorry to contradict you, but it's the Supercard and their shitty firmware that fails, not me. Don't try to say someone fails who has a problem with a firmware flaw. I have tried all the options and this is just how it happens with mine, regardless of what you think. I have found no way to get it to backup to the microSD without entering the firmware first.

Again, this is not a problem when using Ysmenu or TTDS with the Bliss triple loader. I guess that is why Ysmenu and the TTDS firmware isn't affected by the PSRAM error. They don't seem to use it at all. Even if my card IS suffering from the error, the games will not freeze like they do in SC menu.

I'm just telling you how it is with me. I don't care if you believe me or not, but I am not lying and do not fail at figuring this kind of thing out. It's simply the way things work on my flashcard.

12. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Granville, the "Patch Saver" option is what's used to enable direct-to-microSD saving. Perhaps it's not working as intended on your specific card, but I'm fairly certain that most people stopped complaining about lost saves once they added that patch option, which in theory bypasses the capacitor entirely. You should only have to re-enter the firmware to save if you've disabled the on-board patching, or disabled that specific option.

13. granville

United States
    Then something is very wrong. All that patch saver achieved was to speed up the save backup process for me. It still has to enter the firmware to back it up. But all things considered, my card was shit on delivery and I couldn't get a refund from DX. PSRAM error and all. I just use Ysmenu anyways, so no issues anymore anyways. Thanks for the info, but SC firmware just hates me. XD

14. jphriendly

Member jphriendly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm all for a new loader. Ditch Moonshell and develop something that is unique to the card (not like we couldn't run Moonshell anyways). Something that is a major selling point instead of a liability.

Who am I kidding, I'd just be happy if they would update their cheat engine. As granville, I also use YSMenu as my default loader. It works great for my needs. [​IMG]

15. hoist20032002

Member hoist20032002 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The SuperCard One DSi is most likely worse to use instead of its DSL and DSPhat versions in my opinion...I can't stand the SCC.cht files because it takes you forever just to find the specific cheat file you need for your game...Not to mention the GUI is slow as hell. A new loader would be a better idea...Maybe something unique unlike all the other carts out there...I'd like to see a cheat code converter in it...Possibly putting in oh lets say a USRCheat.dat and it will convert it into SCC files or something...Anything would look much better than the current stature at this point and will the YSMenu or TTDS w/ bliss's triple loader work with the SuperCard One DSi?

16. granville

United States
    The bliss triple loader should work fine on DSOnei. Just try it anyways since you can have 3 firmwares at once. Won't hurt to test it.

17. helpme

Member helpme GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    bliss's multiboot loader does not work with the dsonei but you can still first boot the TTmenu then the YSmenu or the SCmenu or visa virsa just rename the TTmenu to MSFORSC.NDS

http://www.scdev.org/forum/index.php/topic,15177.0.html

18. granville

United States
    Wow, that sucks. Guess that card is a sort of a downgrade then. I'm starting to dislike SC team.

19. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I wasn't aware it was the SC Team's responsibility to make sure Bliss's loader worked on the SCDSi. It's unfortunate, yes, but blaming the SC team is rather foolish.

20. Maedhros

Member Maedhros GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    It's something with your card, seriously, because on mine, it saves directly on my SD card. I don't even need to reboot it.
    But yeah... their firmware sucks. =/
    EDIT: Tested with Starfy here... yeah, it's a problem with your card, since it saved to the SD here directly. I saved and then reseted the card, did the self test (L + R + UP) until the end, reseted again and played starfy again... save was still there. =]