Should snaking be allowed in my MKDS tourney?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Foie, Mar 28, 2007.

?

Should snaking be allowed in my upcoming Mario Kart DS tournament?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Mar 28, 2007
  1. Foie
    OP

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    Just getting some input on what the members here at GBAtemp want...

2. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Good luck enforcing this if "no" wins the majority.

3. Foie
    OP

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    Yeah, that may be a little tough...

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Snaking completely ruined the balance of the game. I voted no.

But like others have already said, try actually enforcing that rule. It's not as if you can boot people out of the game if they do it.

5. Foie
    OP

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    It will be easier to maintain the tournament if I allow snaking, but I will please more people if I don't allow it... [​IMG]

Maybe, just maybe, I will do 2 tournaments. That would probably make things easier.

6. hemanwomanhater

Newcomer hemanwomanhater Newbie

United States
    No. Snaking sucks.

7. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    I know! I'll design a new game! A game where players can be free from the shackles of snaking opponents! A game where each race won makes you feel as though god himself is massaging your temporal lobe. But each race lost puts you on the verge of slitting your wrists in disgust.

I'll call it "Awesome Kart." And gamers hungry for a new kart racer clone will flock to me from the four corners of the globe. They'll throw their money at my feet, and raise my name up to the heavens!

8. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    snaking sooooooo obnocious!!!!!

NO!

9. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Snaking makes baby Mario cry.

10. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    I never get this whole 'snaking is bad' thing.
    It's doable in the game, it takes more skill and it allows you to go faster.
    What's the problem?
    It seems to me like having a running race and saying 'no swinging of arms allowed'.

I have a feeling that it's only people that haven't learned to do the snaking that it's a problem for. I'm not very good at snaking, in fact I'm at the point where It's usually faster for me to avoid snaking on most courses, rather than slow my self with my poor attempts.
    My mate is a wizard at it though and he can zip around corners snaking then blast through the straights with it.
    It's fun to do IMHO and brings the racing a step up. I love it when I actually get it right and zoom down the straight.

My suggestion would be to allow snaking but perhaps have different divisions for the tourney. If you can't keep up with the faster set (snaking or no) then try out for the lower division.

Just my 2c.

11. Foie
    OP

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    Yeah, I might just do that.

12. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    should punching people in the balls be allowed in boxing?

no

13. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    uh... what's snaking?

14. lagman

Mexico

This snaking thingy is kinda a xploit, who wants to bet it wont be possible to snake on the next MK? [​IMG]

15. Foie
    OP

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    Snaking is a very controversial techniique that involves many little "boosts" on places where they don't normally happen. In Mario Kart DS, the is a thing called mini-turboing, which is getting boosts around corners. Snaking is when you get those boosts everywhere on the track, including straight-a-ways. Many people call it cheap, many think it is an advanced technique that is perfectly legit. Therefore, there is a lot of argument about the use of it.

16. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    A few random thoughts here. Snaking was in MK:Double Dash for the GC which makes it likely that it's not a mistake that they put it in. Also, the ghost cpu does it, just not in the extent that people that got really good at it do.

What is a problem however...which that video that guy posted earlier conveniently leaves out, is that you can keep top speed over dirt if you do the following: start from the finish line with a superboost (as in, press A on the right moment) and keep your speed by constantly snaking so you dont go below your normal maximum speed (as in, without snaking). If you do that, you will retain the properties of a mushroomboost allowing you to go over dirt with no slowdown. Since this breaks the entire line of some courses this should not be allowed (just tell people they are not allowed to miniturbo/snake until their start boost wears out).

Anyway I agree with shtonkalot. Do what he says. Also, I suggest you divide up the classes by letting people send in their time trial time for a certain course. For example Mario Circuit (the really fast times probably use the exploit of retaining your start boost, which you should then inform them is not allowed).

17. Swordmyth

Banned Swordmyth Banned

United States
    You should allow it because people are going to do it regardless what you tell them to do.

18. Nestea80

Member Nestea80 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I see nothing wrong with snaking. You're just using miniturbos a lot. Miniturbos are part of the game. It isn't some glitch or hack. If it's part of the game, then you should have the freedom to do it whenever you want. It's not an unfair advantage because nobody is preventing YOU (talking to non-snakers in general) from snaking. You'll see that it's not as easy as it sounds, and it takes some skill and practice to pull it off perfectly all the time.

It would also be hard to catch someone snaking if you can't really see them.

19. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    It shouldn't be allowed. I think it's not different from Bunnyjumping in the old versions of Counter Strike. Both are exploits are people take adventage of it. It's a racing tournament not a SNAKING tournament.

20. lagman

Mexico

It´s the same thing, Is it legal? Yes it is, Is it fair? Maybe, Is it cool to do it? No it´s not.