Hacking Should I use emuNAND or redNAND?

frosty5689

Trophies
XP
Country
How much faster? Video please like this one comparing A9LH to menuhax.

emuNAND is like the OG original gangster, sysNAND is like New Kids on the Block

That video is comparing EmuNAND boot speed for a9lh vs menuhax.

Someone need to make a video comparing a9lh SysNAND boot speed vs EmuNAND (using the same NAND as base)

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That video is comparing EmuNAND boot speed for a9lh vs menuhax.

Someone need to make a video comparing a9lh SysNAND boot speed vs EmuNAND (using the same NAND as base)

That was the intent of my post to @Cherry Pie. He was advocating that sysNAND is faster so I asked him for a video similar to the menuhax vs A9LH to showcase this pro.

Saving 1.84 GB of space, and 2 seconds in booting to sysNAND seems almost negligible to me as an emuNAND user contemplating moving to updated sysNAND. Difference between A9LH and menuhax is like night and day.

They both work, but unless you have a tiny SD card (in which case you should save bottles and cans to to get money to buy a bigger one) the speed boost and couple GB of data seems kinda petty reasons to change. Yeah I know the advocates will say all my GBA VC and cia in one location ( a more valid reason not stated by @Cherry Pie) but booting into sysNAND to play GBA is not a monumental task in itself.

I use @FIX94 A9LH and arm9select to load ReiNand as default for 3DS games from emuNAND. Hold R launches AuReiNAND sysNAND for my GBA fix, and I got the L button poised to load Gateway for cheat purposes when they finally release their A9LH support. Works great for me and maybe some others but not all. Just 2 cents from a guy who has used emuNAND for 3+ years since Gateway dropped it on the scene for us to play around with. Updated sysNAND is more for power users who like to tinker and know what they are doing, emuNAND is for people who want the false sense of security that our sysNAND remains largely untouched (warm fuzzy). I'll get off my soapbox and retreat to my corner to get my dunce cap now. Thanks for listening.

Edit: Sorry this post is way off topic, I just got carried away when @Cherry Pie tossed updated sysNAND into the fray. My apologies.

Last edited by stl25,
Reactions: Deleted-236924

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
i have had both and i noticed no difference.
(red on my OGXL, and gw emunand on my n3ds) no difference at all, except for a smaller partition size, so you save up space abit.

i moved away from emu completely, i am now using only sysNAND on my 3ds'es.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH boots into Sysnand faster than Emunand about 0.3-0.5s if you have an ability to count. Using Sysnand isn't an ideal solution.

Do you guys have any idea how to setup multi-rednand? Thanks.
You only have to install DSiWare/Vitural Console once.

Reactions: astronautlevel

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well moving to sysnand on a9lh helps prolong the sd cards life. Not a shit ton of reads and writes on the sd card when theres no emunand. I prefer emunand but today im more than likely going to switch to sysnand just because my sd card likes to die every 3-4 months. Sandisk sucks, dont get sandisk

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3-4 months? All my SD cards are still working, except a 2GB SanDisk (it died yesterday).
I use the ultra 64 gb sandisk micro sd card and it likes to erite protect itself whenever it feels like it. I use safe remove every time and once in while it just like to write protect itself and make itself useless. I have a warrenty on it though.

Reactions: SomeGamer
D

Deleted-236924

If only people stopped telling everyone to use updated sysnand, we already have enough people showing up complaining that they bricked their emunands and have no backups, or people showing up complaining that they bricked their sysnand even before/without a9lh and with no backups. Do you think telling everyone including inexperienced users to use sysnand is going to help things?

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If only people stopped telling everyone to use updated sysnand, we already have enough people showing up complaining that they bricked their emunands and have no backups, or people showing up complaining that they bricked their sysnand even before/without a9lh and with no backups. Do you think telling everyone including inexperienced users to use sysnand is going to help things?
I agree with this. There are some people that just push a9lh and some people dont fully understand it and go ahead and try and something happens and they have a paper weight. If people ask, i tell them about a9lh, but i tell them i dont recommend it unless they look into it and have somewhat of an understanding of what it does and what can happen if it is messed up. I use a9lh but i dont want to tell someone its the best thing ever and have them mess up in some way. I want to move to sysnand just because my sd card "should" live longer.

But yes, people that push and push and push and say "install a9lh", thats a bad thing. Especially when its still sorta new to everyone.

D

Deleted-236924

I don't disagree with the push towards a9lh, but I believe that guides should heavily recommend keeping emunand and to only go pure sysnand if you know what you are doing and aren't gonna be at risk due to lack of general knowledge about it, etc.

It's still easy to brick if you do something wrong while setting up a9lh, but the guide is very precise about what you have to do and warns you several times to follow everything step by step and you'll be fine. So that doesn't really bother me as much. What bothers me is that people act as if a9lh is the miracle solution that will save everyone and you will never brick no matter what you do just because you have a9lh pure sysnand cfw, which isn't true.

Reactions: stl25
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boot9strap is the best! No A9lh no menuhax!

Excuse me kind sir, but why would you bump a two-year old thread about a method that is long obsolete with completely irrelevant information? Are you feeling well?

Why did you bump this

He's from this thread:
Probably a new 3DS user who couldn't contain his excitement in EmuNAND and needed to get it off his chest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1