Hacking Should I upgrade from 4.1.0 to 6.1.0?

ceanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i can respect that, i like consistency myself...
as far as i'm aware though, there shouldn't be a discernible difference between firmware 4.0.1 and 4.1 in terms of loading games and homebrew, unless there is a game out there that requires resources from 4.1 that don't exist in 4.0.1, then i'm just talking out my ass here.

you can go ahead and proceed to do what you planned with your brother's switch, installing 4.1 with autoRCM onto it, but i WOULD also recommend keeping a backup of 4.0.1 before doing that just to keep a clean copy of the 4.0.1 firmware should you ever need to return to it, for example if your brother has connected to the internet with that firmware, then you'll need to restore that same clean dump to mitigate a ban. you'll also be able to boot the 4.0.1 firmware on his switch without having to worry about bypassing the fuse check.

Thanks the the advice buddy. I'll make sure I get a nand backup of 4.0.1 before I do anything. I can do this via hekate before installing custom firmware right?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newer games require newer system versions. Pokémon Let's Go, for example, requires 5.1.0. In order to maximize game compatbility, I recommend updating to 6.1.0 using ChoiDujourNX. You can also update without burning efuses so you can downgrade later, but that will require installing AutoRCM.

Do not update to 6.2.0 until a compatible bootloader and CFW are released.

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Newer games require newer system versions. Pokémon Let's Go, for example, requires 5.1.0. In order to maximize game compatbility, I recommend updating to 6.1.0 using ChoiDujourNX. You can also update without burning efuses so you can downgrade later, but that will require installing AutoRCM.

Do not update to 6.2.0 until a compatible bootloader and CFW are released.

Is 6.1.0 fine for homebrew etc? I'm still on 5.1 and considering updating (obviously avoiding 6.2 for now). I regularly use stuff like Tinfoil and Retroarch and would hate to lose access to those (or have them not run properly) for the sake of a game or two

Kapaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Like Lacius said, use ChoiDujourNX to update to 6.1.0. This way fuses don't get burnt, and in case you ever want to downgrade again, you can do so with your backup that you should have done before installing any CFW (or if you haven't yet, do a backup before you upgrade to 6.1.0.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is 6.1.0 fine for homebrew etc? I'm still on 5.1 and considering updating (obviously avoiding 6.2 for now). I regularly use stuff like Tinfoil and Retroarch and would hate to lose access to those (or have them not run properly) for the sake of a game or two

Just ensure that you use ChoiDujourNX to upgrade and there is no issue. In case the mod scene doesn't support anything higher than 5.1 for some reason, you can always downgrade back.

Reactions: Ty_

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW and homebrew work fine on 6.1.0.

Reactions: Ty_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @NinStar, Who's whipping who?