Hacking Should I upgrade from 3.2e to 4.0?

Patto1976

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have been an avid reader of this forum for some time and find it amazing how much has been exploited with the wii. I am now happily running my 3.2E wii (nearly 2 years old now) with HBC and a 1.1 USB loader wad. I thank all people involved for their efforts as it a great achievement.

The main question I pose to all you learned people is should I upgrade from 3.2E to 4.0? If the main consensus is yes then which method would you recommend? Waninkoko's method or offical with patching?

What would I gain from 4.0? Would I be able to use the shop channel again? Any more benefits?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your replies,

Patto.

Patto1976

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No suggestions on what I should do? The shop channel would be nice to have again but if it compromises the ability to have good things from 3.2E, I understand.

But making a decision on nobody's replies is a hard thing to do. Do I jump or walk away?

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From what i'm reading there is no real disadvantage as long as you make sure you have IOS38 rev 8+ installed before and IOS60 patched for trucha bug along with updating with wani's updater.

As long as you don't move the HBC you can still downgrade again to 3.2.

Theres preloader and startpatch (aka starfall for 4.0) there for brick protection too.

I'm tempted to upgrade (It doesn't seem like i have much installed but my wii memory is short on space) so the sd channel stuff is sure tempting, my main concern is brick protection and im still deciding between preloader/startpatch but i'm probably going to upgrade.

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its nice too see you did some research,but not enough though.
You see upgrading to 4.0 has nothing taken away exept starfall which can be later replaced with preloader, and 4.0 preloader hacks.So yes upgrade.
Heres what you get in upgrading

1.my favorite previously installed softmii is still useable,but use the new 000000072.app for ntsc 00000074.app for pal files you can find at softmii.org

2.Keep preloader and run new hacks available somewhere in a topic labeled new preloader hacks.

3.SD Menu (I use it for usb loader channels)

4.Access to all official FREE nintendo channels

5.Keep all previously used homebrew(again exept starfall,but use preloader)
and
6. Ability to donwgrade whenever you please via downgrader

A

armand66

As Dino said, you gain a fair bit by upgrading to 4.0, the SD channel is fantastic and i have it filled to the brim with wiiware and VC, something you simply cannot do using 3.2e. The new sizes allowed for SD make the SD channel fantastic, for wiiware/vc/usb loader channels.

All other homebrew and stuff you had will basically work, but again, make sure you do the upgrade using Wanins updater.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patto1976 said:
What would I gain from 4.0? Would I be able to use the shop channel again? Any more benefits?

Yes, you would be able to use the shop channel again.
You'd also get the new sd card menu and support for sdhc cards.
I recommend you follow this guide to update.
Use "method 1" in the guide (It's safer)
After you update to 4.0, run IOS downgrader to trutcha patch your IOS's
Then install preloader and use it to block disk updates

If you don't like 4.0, you can go back to 3.2 no problem with cIOS downgrader.

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
preloader is more brick safe, because it loads before the system menu (you can have it autoload to the system menu by holding reset while powering on the wii, its in the options for preloader).

from preloader, you can go straight to the homebrew channel to fix what is needed.

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My only bugbear with preloader is its somewhat more "permanent" arrangement, i.e: applying hacks - from what i've made out you can't remove them once applied, if you ever need to remove it you need to downgrade/reinstall the system menu, etc. I've never really considered preloader before (starfall worked so well) hence by tipping towards startpatch.

Then again I could try startpatch and move over to preloader since it doesn't leave anything permanent, its just a matter of getting round to it.

Patto1976

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers for the replies guys. But which is better? Official or waninkoko update? armand66 says waninkoko and the link that piratesmack added uses offical nintendo update.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patto1976 said:
Cheers for the replies guys. But which is better? Official or waninkoko update? armand66 says waninkoko and the link that piratesmack added uses offical nintendo update.

I think the official update is pretty much the same if you run IOS downgrader after.

The reason I recommend the official update is because I've seen a few people on here brick their Wii's with Waninkoko's updater.

Melchizedek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What the hell, when I try the step that says to use cIOS downgrader, I get a code dump error... I tried formatting the SD card but it doesnt change anything, what must I do?

Posts merged

What the hell, when I try the step that says to use cIOS downgrader, I get a code dump error... I tried formatting the SD card but it doesnt change anything, what must I do?

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FlatFrogger said:
My only bugbear with preloader is its somewhat more "permanent" arrangement, i.e: applying hacks - from what i've made out you can't remove them once applied, if you ever need to remove it you need to downgrade/reinstall the system menu, etc. I've never really considered preloader before (starfall worked so well) hence by tipping towards startpatch.

Then again I could try startpatch and move over to preloader since it doesn't leave anything permanent, its just a matter of getting round to it.

Preloader isn't permanent, just hang onto your original hacks.ini file, you can enable/disable hacks.

Patto1976

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
piratesmack said:
I think the official update is pretty much the same if you run IOS downgrader after.

The reason I recommend the official update is because I've seen a few people on here brick their Wii's with Waninkoko's updater.

Cheers mate, is that what you have done on your wii? You still fully functional?

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FlatFrogger said:

Yeah preloader can't be completely uninstalled.
There's a few files left behind when you reinstall your system menu, but they shouldn't cause any problems or take up much space.

You can remove hacks, though. Just disable them in the "System Menu Hacks" settings.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patto1976 said:
piratesmack said:

Cheers mate, is that what you have done on your wii? You still fully functional?

Yep, that's how I updated to 4.0
As far as I can tell, everything works just like it did on 3.2

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the answers with regards to preloader, there doesn't seem to be much documentation (topics and the like) floating around regarding to it other than "how is it installed" etc.

With regards to bricking with wani's updater I believe the issue is that people didn't have enough free space on their wii to start (it requires 150-250 blocks free). When I update i'll probably be using it myself.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Melchizedek said:
What can I do about my code dump error? I know that my Internet connection works

Stupid question: Do you have cIOS installed?
If so, what version?
I tested it with cIOS rev 09 the other day and it worked fine (Had to temporarily downgrade to 3.2 because I screwed something up)

Patto1976

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
piratesmack said:
After you update to 4.0, run IOS downgrader to trutcha patch your IOS's
Then install preloader and use it to block disk updates

If you don't like 4.0, you can go back to 3.2 no problem with cIOS downgrader.

What version of IOS downgrader do I search for? I know that with 4.0 you need preloader 0.29

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1