Should I update to the last SMEA MenuHAX release having the old with ctrbootmanager coldboot?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Sam_SpadeR, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Sam_SpadeR
    OP

Sam_SpadeR GBAtemp Regular

Jun 19, 2015
    Colombia
    Hello guys,

Just want to know that. I just noted that Smea released one new starter kit with new updated MenuHAX and I want to know if I would be able to install it over my old menuhax in coldboot thing. Can I? How should I proceed, just copy and replace the 3ds folder to the root of my SD card?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    There's no point in installing menuhax 2.1 when you already have 2.0 installed and working.
    2.1 is only really for 10.2-10.3 users

2.1 installs pretty much exactly the same thing as 2.0 does when installed on 9.0-10.1, with the difference that it automatically creates the extra extdata used for custom theme support without you having to manually go in theme selector at least once. But other than that it's pretty much the same.

9.0-10.1, menuhax will install themehax, while on 10.2-10.3, it'll install shufflehax

But regardless of having 2.0 or 2.1 if you already had 2.0 installed there's literally nothing different from 2.1

Last edited by Ammako, Dec 28, 2015
  3. dmc310

dmc310 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    United States
    THanks for explaining it I guess I will stick with what I have on my N3DS

Sam_SpadeR likes this.
  4. Sam_SpadeR
    OP

Sam_SpadeR GBAtemp Regular

Jun 19, 2015
    Colombia
    Thanks a lot, man. Yeah, I will stick with my setup too.

5. NiMR0D9TIN85

NiMR0D9TIN85 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2014
    Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia
    I succesfully installed BrowserHax and then install Menuhax but if i exit the homebrew launcher the themes are set to default, why is this happening?

6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Because menuhax replaces the theme with a blank one that's modified to cause a buffer overflow when loaded.

It was possible to build menuhax using a custom theme back with the 1.2/1.3 releases, but with menuhax 2.0/2.1 it creates additional extdata that normally isn't there on a non-hacked system in a different place, and whenever menuhax isn't loaded it will instead load a theme of your choice.

You can set that custom theme in menuhax manager.