Should I update my 5.3.2 Wii U to 5.5.1?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by VinLark, Jun 19, 2016.

1. VinLark
    OP

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    I have 2 Wii Us. One with the latest firmware and one with 5.3.2. Is there any advantages by keeping one of the Wii U's at 5.3.2 firmware? Will the IOSU exploit be on a certain exploit? I personally don't find anything I am missing upgrading it to 5.5.1.

2. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    No, it's pointless for now to upgrade.

3. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Most people would argue that you should always stay on a lower firmware version if at all possible.
    But its your choice. The current kernel exploit works on 5.5.1, so if kernel-level mods and homebrew are all you care about, then feel free to update to 5.5.1 while it is still the latest firmware.

VinLark likes this.
  4. mrbits

mrbits GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    I was wondering the same thing. I went to a lot of trouble to get an exploitable machine (it arrived with 3.0!) and update to 5.3.2, so I dunno about updating to 5.5.1. All I use is loadiine to be honest, not interested in other things.

5. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    You should stay in 5.3.2, I've explained why in another thread:

Online play works perfectly with Spoofing, I'm in 5.3.2U spoofed to 5.5.0U and it works like my Wii U were in that firmware (In terms of online features), I can even access eShop without any trouble (Using NNU-Patcher)

6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    To reiterate what others have said, there is no reason to update from 5.3.2. Newer and better hacks are more likely to be released for lower software versions first, and there's nothing I'm aware of that you can't do on 5.3.2 that you could be doing on 5.5.1, if you know what you're doing.

7. Rafael Aderaldo

Rafael Aderaldo Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2016
    Brazil
    I`m new to this, could someone tell me a tutorial that I need to use to spoof from 5.3.2 to 5.5.0? And also how to use the NNU-Patcher? I just bought my Wii U (Mario Kart Bundle) and I can`t play it online and vinculate my account to Nintendo Network ID cause the game says I need to update my console.

8. CreeperMario

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    What you need to do is download the homebrew starter pack from wiiubru.com (using your computer). Once you've downloaded it, unzip it, and copy the 'wiiu' folder to the root of your SD Card (root meaning not inside any folders, just your SD Card).

Once you've done that, open wiiubru.com in the Wii U web browser, and the Homebrew Launcher will open. Go to the Homebrew App Store and scroll down until you find WUPInstaller. Press on it and then press GET. Now press HOME to return to the Homebrew Launcher, and then HOME again to quit Homebrew Launcher, which will open Mii Maker. From here, return to the Wii U Menu.

Eject your SD Card, insert it into your computer again, and then download the 5.5.1 spoof data (not sure where/how to get it, sorry). Then stick your SD Card back into your console. Open Mii Maker, which will chain-load HBL. Open WUPInstaller and then the install should start.

For more information, see the Definitive Guide to Wii U Hacking, at the top of the forum homepage.
    Good luck.

9. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    At this point, I still can't understand people wanting to stay on lower firmware for some hope that something is going to be released. Unless you personally have found, or are about to find some exploit, then you may as well update, because if you honestly think any private exploit is going to be released, I have a bridge to sell you. Just update, temporarily unblock updates, update every game and app you have through Nintendo Network, buy any E-Shop games or DLC you may want to buy, and then when you're done, block updates again and enjoy your stable system.

Last edited by brienj, Aug 13, 2016
  10. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
    I was in 5.4.0 and I recently updated to 5.5.1 because the user/hacker base in this firmware is very low.

So it's less likely to be compatible in the day-one when IOSU exploit get released and it will require a port etc.. which will take time..

It's my pure speculation and it maybe completely wrong .

11. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    My 2 cents:

Upgrade to 5.5.1 and enjoy hassel free homebrew and updates (for now). I've heard rumors that any iosu exploit will work on 5.5.1. Nwplayer has been quoted as saying "get on 5.5.1 while you can"

Stay on 5.3.2 and hang on to false hopes and broken promises that you'll one day get iosu. I'm not too worried cause I can get a 5.3.2 easy here. The pawn shops are full of em. Might feel differently if I'd have worked as hard as you did to get one.

DarkIrata and VinLark like this.
  12. jerzmob

jerzmob GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2007
    United States
    so is 5.4.0 useless?

13. VinLark
    OP

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Yes. Everything done on 5.4.0 can be done on 5.5.1

14. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    This, really.

There is an assumption that lower firmware versions will have more potential exploits. This assumption is not unreasonable, but is not the reality. Any private and unreleased exploits are still going to work on the latest firmware precisely because they are private and unreleased, and thus unpatched.

If you unsure then don't bother, because you can just spoof the firmware. But there's no actual reason not to upgrade that isn't on heresay and assumptions. People saying these things are mostly on 5.3.2 and thus being understandably cautious.

the_randomizer likes this.
  15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    This does make me wonder about something, so I updated to the real (non spoofed) 5.5.1, immediately blocked all Nintendo server IP addresses with my router, can eShop still be accessed or does one still need an exploit to access it despite being on the latest system update?

16. CreeperMario

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    You could use an exploit and launch NNU-Patcher, or you could take the risk and change your DNS settings back to Auto-obtain, which will allow you access to the eShop. Be careful, though, as a system update could be downloaded while your DNS settings are out.

7Robins likes this.
  17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    So you still need to use the NUS patcher, even when you're on 5.5.1 real? Bleh, oh well, yeah, only other problem with that is downloads don't download automatically unless you restart the console or some crap like that. Not taking chances, 5.5.1 is the highest I'll go.

18. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Generally speaking, a person should download everything they need to download while they still easily can (double chexking that Nintendo haven't released an update), then block the Nintendo servers and leave it that way. While it's probably okay to quickly unblock the servers for a few minutes, it is a risk because a new update could appear at any time. Remember, we have alternate ways of downloading game updates so there's no real need to do it. Avoid the eShop temptation.

And of course, switch your Wii U off at the wall whenever you're not using it, just to be extra sure.

19. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I should have used pinky-swear(TM) on my post.

VinsCool likes this.
  20. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    What about the OSDriver kernel exploit ? (i powned y'a)

CreeperMario likes this.