Hacking Should I update if I'm considering buying a flashcard?

Enchilada

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
My 3DS is currently running 9.2.0-20E, and I want to know if it's safe to update right now. Some games want me to do it in order to do stuff, so yeah. I'm talking about the 3DS ones like Gateway and SKY.

I have been active for a very long time, and I don't know what is going on anymore. Sorry for the question.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
for sky3ds yeah you can update, but if you want to use gateway you need to stay on 9.2

gateway has lots of features sky3ds doesn't.....personal preference do some research

at the very least, run the gateway software and make a nand backup,then you could always get a nand mod installed and downgrade

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you're a power user who likes to push the system to its limits, use homebrew, play eShop games, install CIA's etc. go for a Gateway cart and don't update. If you're a newbie and you just want a plug and play solution to play your cartridge-based games, you can update and go for a Sky3DS. If I were in your position, I wouldn't update - 9.2 is a more vulnerable firmware and the lower the firmware the better in hacking terms.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you could even downgrade to 4.x and use the MT card emunand so you can access eshop and stuff, but you will probably have save issues if any of your games are newer (released in like the last year or so)

if you only have older games like mario kart 7 you should have no save issues

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
you could even downgrade to 4.x and use the MT card emunand so you can access eshop and stuff, but you will probably have save issues if any of your games are newer (released in like the last year or so)

if you only have older games like mario kart 7 you should have no save issues
The capability to downgrade is a big selling point for the Gateway right now, very useful for power users.

Reactions: blinkzane

Enchilada

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Alright, thanks a lot guys. I'll stay on 9.2 for now.
And yes, I'm the type that likes to mess around with stuff. Sky3ds won't do it.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're a power user who likes to push the system to its limits, use homebrew, play eShop games, install CIA's etc. go for a Gateway cart and don't update. If you're a newbie and you just want a plug and play solution to play your cartridge-based games, you can update and go for a Sky3DS. If I were in your position, I wouldn't update - 9.2 is a more vulnerable firmware and the lower the firmware the better in hacking terms.

Damn.....totally summed it all up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning