Hacking Should I update all my ios to the newest versions?

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
You won't be able to use starfall on 4.0/4.1, but that is outclassed and not really needed anymore due to preloader or startpatch. I believe they have more system menu hacks than starfall does and preloader's brick protection is a lot better though they are both pretty much unnecessary in that regard with a boot2 install of bootmii.
StartPatch is essentially Starfall for 4.0 or 4.1 with some additional patches. It's very useful if you have BootMii installed and just want to get rid of the Health screen and also have region free channels. Since I have BootMii, I don't see the point in also installing preloader, so StartPatch is great for me. There are the recovery menu hacks, but BootMii (and I would say Preloader also) are far better protection than the recovery menu is.

rest_easy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great, do I need to uninstall starfall before I update?

I used the twilight hack to get my homebrew channel. Will I lose that upon update? i.e. do I need to run bannerbomb for any reason?

the Ultimate system menu guide 4.0 (which is now for 4.1) says to use ciosrev10. I have ciosrev13a. Does that matter?

thank you so much

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just updated all of my stuff last night. the latest DOP-IOS won't allow you to install STUB stuff or mess with system-menu-only stuff.

So I have the latest of everything, all trucha patched, and channel loading works.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rest_easy said:
great, do I need to uninstall starfall before I update?

I used the twilight hack to get my homebrew channel. Will I lose that upon update? i.e. do I need to run bannerbomb for any reason?

the Ultimate system menu guide 4.0 (which is now for 4.1) says to use ciosrev10. I have ciosrev13a. Does that matter?

thank you so much

I'm not sure if you HAVE to uninstall starfall, but you could to be safe. If by losing the Twilight hack you mean the ability to do the twilight hack again, then yes you will lose it. The twilight hack itself doesn't really do anything other than run a boot.dol/boot.elf like the HBC does. You originally just ran a boot.dol of the HBC installer to install the HBC so you should never need to use that or bannerbomb again as long as you still have the HBC. You are fine with rev13a, you can also update to rev14 if you want.

rest_easy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, I'll try this later tonight then and I guess move on up to rev14. (i thought it was still in bug testing stage)

rest_easy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
worked out just fine. post 1395 in the Ultimate system guide 4.0 thread is my harrowing adventures in updating, but all is well.
thank you all for the help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte