Should I trade in my 4.5 3DS XL for a New 3DS XL?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by YoungStarDC, Feb 11, 2015.

  1. YoungStarDC
    OP

    YoungStarDC Member

    Newcomer
    32
    3
    Nov 24, 2014
    Netherlands
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Hey guys,

    I currently own a 3DS XL running firmware 4.4 something which I use in combination with Gateway 3DS. However, I am planning on buying the New 3DS XL and my go to videogame store has a trade in offer.

    If I trade in my 3DS XL I can get the limited edition Monster Hunter 4 N3DSXL for 99 euro's instead of 230 euro (I live in the Netherlands). I want to keep using Gateway, but I figure that if support for the N3DS is somewhat close, it won't really matter.

    Anyway, what do you guys think? Should I keep my 3DS XL and just buy the N3DSXL at the regular price? Or is a trade in the way to go?

    Thanks for your advice!
     


  2. SomecallmeBerto

    SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

    Member
    1,097
    655
    Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA


    The problem is we don't know when GW is going to release the update. It could be on Feb 13th but that is more wishful thinking then anything else. I would suggest you look at your options, would you mind playing MH in its cart form or do you want to dump it for use with GW? Do you have other games that can keep you busy for the wait??
     
  3. tony_2018

    tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,106
    1,050
    Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Money seems tight, but I would wait on confirmation for support for emunand 9.5 on the N3DSXL. Would you want to stay stuck on a console you can't use because they haven't released a new firmware release?
     
  4. Xenon Hacks

    Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

    Member
    7,050
    3,367
    Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Theres only 4 games that are not even out yet the are new 3ds only so far, so no I wouldn't upgrade until gateway releases support for it.
     
  5. gunner007

    gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

    Member
    1,506
    368
    Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Unless you want the special editions I'd just hang onto the XL. My little one is working just fine with the 9.5 emunand and all the goodies. I have a Majora's on the way and I'll just keep it in the box until GW finds a way around it.

    If they don't - it's not like there's a shortage of cart choices out there.
     
  6. cvskid

    cvskid GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,224
    817
    Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Keep the 3ds xl with 4.5 and just buy the new nintendo 3ds xl. That way you have both.
     
  7. Kracken

    Kracken GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    257
    98
    Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    If someone is asking if they should trade in a console for a newer version, than maybe they can't afford to buy the new one for full price.
     
  8. cvskid

    cvskid GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,224
    817
    Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Oh, right. Well it is better in the long run to keep the 4.5 3ds xl.
     
  9. thorasgar

    thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

    Member
    3,405
    1,844
    Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Why?
     
  10. Kracken

    Kracken GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    257
    98
    Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    In case N3DS support never comes from GW or is gimped somehow if it does come out.

    As of now 4.5 3DS's work perfectly minus needing GW to fix the launcher for newer emunand versions.
     
    cvskid likes this.
  11. cvskid

    cvskid GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,224
    817
    Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Gateway 3ds, Not sure if it will work for new nintendo 3ds soon or not.
     
  12. thuytinh266

    thuytinh266 Member

    Newcomer
    21
    5
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    you can go with sky3ds for your N3ds
     
  13. Soap Mactavish

    Soap Mactavish Newbie

    Newcomer
    2
    0
    Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    I don't think that it is logical as N3DS support isn't out yet. But it is your choice.
     
  14. sbm888

    sbm888 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    114
    47
    Jan 31, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    why do you need a N3DS? if I were you, i'd keep the old 3DSXL since it works with GW.
    unless you are planning on switching over to Sky3DS?
     
    Random Joe likes this.
  15. OrangeFlavored

    OrangeFlavored Member

    Newcomer
    41
    9
    May 22, 2010
    United States
    I was tempted but remembered the DSi and their promises of exclusive games that didn't amount to much, doesn't seem much motivation for me to update really. Eye-tracking 3D seems cool but happy enough with my XL otherwise.
     
    Random Joe likes this.
  16. tony_2018

    tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,106
    1,050
    Jan 3, 2014
    United States

    thats pure speculation on the DSi.....
     
  17. YoungStarDC
    OP

    YoungStarDC Member

    Newcomer
    32
    3
    Nov 24, 2014
    Netherlands
    The Hague, Netherlands
    I don't mind playing MH in it's cart form. And I think either MH4 or Zelda MM should keep me busy enough for the wait!

    That's true.

    I really do want one of the special editions (Zelda or MH4). They both look so great. I don't mind waiting for Gateway or even just keeping it just because I feel it's a collectors item.

    Thanks for your input!

    Yes, that is true. In this case however, I can afford buying it full price!

    So that's +2 with the guy above. Thanks for your input!

    I really prefer to keep the Gateway 3DS. It works perfectly fine on my normal 3DS XL and I don't want to shell out another 70 euros or so.

    I want it mainly because I like new gaming gear, but also because the added features seem to add a lot to the experience (C-stick, drastically improved 3D, etc.).

    I'm happy with own 3DS too. It seems that most of you agree that sticking with the old 3DS is a better option then trading it in, so I can keep using Gateway. In which case, I will buy the new one full price.
     
  18. TemplarGR

    TemplarGR Gaming expert

    Member
    394
    198
    Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    I don't think it is a wise decision. Not much benefit unless you really want the improved 3D. In my opinion, just keep the one you have and save your money for the inevitable 3ds true successor in 2 years time...
     
  19. Kracken

    Kracken GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    257
    98
    Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    If you can afford to buy it full price then do so. You can always sell it for a small loss down the line if GW doesn't deliver or sell the old 3DS if you are satisfied with GW's N3DS support.

    If more games ship with N3DS exclusive features (or are exclusive) after N3DS's start shipping with 9.3+ I'm sure a lot of people will have wished they upgraded when they could.
     
  20. TemplarGR

    TemplarGR Gaming expert

    Member
    394
    198
    Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    LOL. No. As i said, the 3DS will get a true successor soon. Like the DSi, it arrived in 2009 and in 2011 we had the 3DS. The same will happen now. The so called "New 3DS" is so much underpowered is not even funny. Even the cheapest smartphone could produce better graphics right now.

    It makes no sense to buy the same overpriced system AGAIN, just to play 1 or 5 or even 10 exclusive games. Those exclusive games will still be around when the backwards compatible "4DS" appears 2 years later and costs 200$...