Should I stay at 4.1 or downgrade to 3.2?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kama, Jul 31, 2009.

Jul 31, 2009
  1. kama
    OP

Newcomer kama Member

United States
    I'm already at 4.1 from using Nintendo's update. I have the HBC and some installed WADs, but I've been told that I lost all my trucha stuff.

With that in mind, which is better: 3.2 or 4.1? What are the advantages of having each one?

2. jazvdb

Member jazvdb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you don't have to downgrade, downgrading is risky enough....

just get the Trucha bug restorer...

3. Gamemaster1379

Member Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    4.0 and beyond offers the SD Card menu setup, which is nice, but it is true that using Nintendo's update, you have indeed lost Trucha abilities. The best course of action for the most functionality would to downgrade to 3.2-3.4, then use 4.1 updater, the one similar to Wanikoko's 4.0 updater (excuse the ignorance, I don't know what the 4.1 was officially called nor do I know who is behind it). Doing so will retain your trucha abilities and give you the SD Card menu.

Seems I'm really out of it. It would seem this is the best route.

4. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    could he not use dop-ios to update and trucha patch the all the Wii's iso's????

5. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Yeah that's crap. He can just stay at 4.1, use the trucha bug restorer, isntall cIOS and then use dopIOS.

Downgrading is dangerous nowadays as you never know if it is a newer Wii that will brick while doing so...

6. Dan_Aykroyd

Member Dan_Aykroyd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    And why would you want to have Trucha Bug after you installed cIOS? What software do you use? That bug is pretty old and quite everything nowadays run out of IOS249 (cIOS). You can run USB loaders, patches (StartPatch), ATD, anything!

Just manually patch the IOS60 if you want to have the "Channels from SD" functionality.

7. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    I wouldn't downgrade bro, too risky.

8. kama
    OP

Newcomer kama Member

United States
    Do you need to know because it will tell you when it was made or what kind of board I have? I only ask because I don't immediately have access to the number.

If the former, I got it right after it first came out in 2006.

9. DigitalSquirrel

Member DigitalSquirrel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Don't downgrade, no reason. I run at 4.1 and everything is perfect. I don't get all these people that sit at 3.2... I guess for their modchips. But if you're only softmodding, don't bother, there are too many programs to help 4.0+4.1 users out,

10. Dan_Aykroyd

Member Dan_Aykroyd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a modchip (Wiinja) + softmod with FW 4.1 and there're no problems at all with the former!

11. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    I have a YAOSM and there is no problem with it on 4.0.
    In fact there is absolutely no problem with 4.0 or 4.1. There are only advantages. It's just a lot of people seem to be afraid of changes...

12. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Well if you install a cIOS then you don't have a need for the trucha bug, so......better to stay on 4.1 as I'm a big fan of 3.2 I installed 4.1 to see what differences are between this 2 firmwares, as a result I can only tell that the Wii starts faster on 4.1 than on 3.2 (bootmii installed of course), anyway you need a cIOS to be able to downgrade, there is no risk in doing such thing (unless you downgrade to 3.4, in that case is a brick all the way), but as I say (and everyone in here), if you have a cIOS then why do you want the trucha bug in every IOS..??