Homebrew Question Should I sell my unpatched switch for a wii u?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,293
  • Replies 12
D

Deleted User

OP
I want to be able to emulate gamecube, wii, and wii u games to play multiplayer games with. The price for an upatched switch is pretty high rn because of covid. Should I sell my unpatched switch and use a wii u to do that instead? From what I've seen online, the switch has a hard time emulating a lot of stuff [primarily the gamecube and wii] while the wii u can seemingly emulate everything with next to no effort. I own a second switch for me to just play normally online and use all my games for already and thought it might actually make sense to sell the second one now for maximum profit. Is that a good idea?

To put it in simple words:
If I already have a normal switch for switch games, does it make sense to sell my second switch to get a wii u to emulate everything else and make a bit of money?

Last edited by ,

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just find a Wii U for $100 or less either online or at a pawn shop or a thrift store or something. Even if you have to wait a little bit and search it out. It's def not worth losing a unpatched switch but they are super cool consoles.

D

Deleted User

OP
Just find a Wii U for $100 or less either online or at a pawn shop or a thrift store or something. Even if you have to wait a little bit and search it out. It's def not worth losing a unpatched switch but they are super cool consoles.
Well, unfortunantly I can't really look around like that because I don't have my car atm. Is there one for a decent price online? I saw one for like $150, would that be worth getting?

D

Deleted User

OP
might as well switch is fucking useless. at least you can play wii games on the wiiu :P
Well, from what I can tell, it seems like it's actually making progress through linux and android based OSes that you can dual boot. It's definitely nice to be able to use it on the go as well. I think in like 2 years it should be able to do most of what to wii u can do, but the wii u just seems better atm.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'd say $150 is a pretty average price currently, and really if that's in your budget what's $50. I just set arbitrary price points that I would say it's worth it to buy consoles. But I do find deals at thrift stores like I got a white Wii U with the gamepad but missing a power brick for $40. I think Wii and GC emulation will eventually be "playable" on switch, though it will take time and the Wii U will do it all.

D

Deleted User

OP
Yeah I'd say $150 is a pretty average price currently, and really if that's in your budget what's $50. I just set arbitrary price points that I would say it's worth it to buy consoles. But I do find deals at thrift stores like I got a white Wii U with the gamepad but missing a power brick for $40. I think Wii and GC emulation will eventually be "playable" on switch, though it will take time and the Wii U will do it all.
That's pretty nice lmao, but also wondering, is the 8gb wii u still good? Or should I only get the 32 GB one? I've never homebrewed one before and was gonna look into how to do it once it arrives.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With my homebrewed Wii U I just use an external USB hard drive, the system storage is only really used for Haxchi (the ds game exploit that allows homebrew). Throw a 2tb on the thing and you won't worry about the storage at all. I actually have a legit 8gb Wii U and though it was a pain in the ass I would just stick usb sticks in that thing too.

Last edited by Tomobobo,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow guess i got a really good deal then i paid $90 on craigslist
and this was right before the BOTW release for a black wii u MK8 bundaru in perfect condition ,hardly ever used
only thing that it was missing was the game pad charger ,but my friend had one with a broken connector and a gamepad dock both were being thrown away
so i opened the dock and soldered the wires from the charge brick inside , so i have a way to charge the pad but it has to sit on the dock
later i ended up buying a USB type A to wii u game pad cable from Aliexpress for like $1.30 so now i can charge without docking it too

Last edited by weatMod,
Reactions: Tomobobo
D

Deleted User

OP
wow guess i got a really good deal then i paid $90 on craigslist
and this was right before the BOTW release for a black wii u MK8 bundaru in perfect condition ,hardly ever used
only thing that it was missing was the game pad charger ,but my friend had one with a broken connector and a gamepad dock both were being thrown away
so i opened the dock and soldered the wires from the charge brick inside , so i have a way to charge the pad but it has to sit on the dock
later i ended up buying a USB type A to wii u game pad cable from Aliexpress for like $1.30 so now i can charge without docking it too
I’m sure I could find one for $90 if I waited and looked hard nowadays, but covid really ramped up the prices. From my research, around 2 years ago you could get one for like $40 easily.

Reactions: weatMod

lemonmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are fairly cheap, under $100 on Ebay. Make sure to get a tested one or detailed description if your buying off Ebay. If your able to do a pick up I'm sure they would go for even cheaper on letgo and OfferUp.

I recently moved my Wii U up to my room so can enjoy Wii and Gamecube games on my old tv and use the gamepad for when I'm in bed, I'd consider nice since I haven't used it in a long time.

If you DO happen to hold out and save a nice wad of money like myself, wait for DragonMMC to release and order it with a 256gb nand, it should if not definitely have enough performance for gc/wii emulation. Then again, it may be up to 2021 till we can even see a release for it due to Covid. :P

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't make sense to sell your switch for a Wii U. If you want a better direction it is best you get a low end model gaming PC. My Dell G3 can play Wii U games and other games pretty good. My PC isn't "that low end" but it isn't really high end neither . Just be aware that online services for Wii U isn't going to last forever. At-least with the switch it is going to at-least last 5 years.

D

Deleted User

OP
It doesn't make sense to sell your switch for a Wii U. If you want a better direction it is best you get a low end model gaming PC. My Dell G3 can play Wii U games and other games pretty good. My PC isn't "that low end" but it isn't really high end neither . Just be aware that online services for Wii U isn't going to last forever. At-least with the switch it is going to at-least last 5 years.
I have a PC, but having an actual console is something I happen to prefer (mainly fot streaming/capturing footage)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol