Hardware Should I sell my laptop and...

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah bugger, I feel like a fool for having replied to this Virginian dude. I didn't officially agree to anything, what about specifying meeting with people in the city/general area I live in? I should probably delete the ad I made on GBA temp too.

Edit: Changed to say cash only.

Nope, keep the ad on here. These people are honest: I've read through pages of user reviews of sellers and buyers and they are very excellent.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that Amazon and eBay take roughly 8.5-10% of that. The laptop cooler does not add that much value to the laptop, so I wouldn't advertise it as such. The cooler is like an additional fifteen to twenty bucks on Amazon. Chances are, 99% of the time you will lose out on some of the money you paid for it, unless your buyer is a scammer, they're generous, or they just have no clue what they're buying.

You want more information on what to expect from Craigslist? Google Craigslist Buyer scam and add Paypal, Western Union, escrow, eBay escrow, etc., and prepare to lose faith in humanity.

EDIT: I would suggest keeping your ad here on the 'Temp. Scam rates are crazy low and only a handful have made scams in the past several years.

EDIT 2: Honestly, the way I'm reading it right now, it appears that you have never ever sold a thing online, and you have quite a ways to learn. It's not a bad thing, I'm merely looking out for you in a way. I'd suggest doing a lot of research and possibly pulling your listing, because for a newbie, you do not want to place high value commodities on the eMarket, simply because you aren't experienced enough yet to spot what a scammer can do. I've had some horrible stories happen back in my day, and I honestly feel at this time that you simply are not prepared to do this yet. Spend a couple hours or even DAYS educating yourself on the scams that appear, and look up proper computer selling protocol, and follow that. You'll thank me later, and if you do enough, you should be able to look up the common signs and start getting the feeling that things might go south.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that Amazon and eBay take roughly 8.5-10% of that. The laptop cooler does not add that much value to the laptop, so I wouldn't advertise it as such. The cooler is like an additional fifteen to twenty bucks on Amazon. Chances are, 99% of the time you will lose out on some of the money you paid for it, unless your buyer is a scammer, they're generous, or they just have no clue what they're buying.

You want more information on what to expect from Craigslist? Google Craigslist Buyer scam and add Paypal, Western Union, escrow, eBay escrow, etc., and prepare to lose faith in humanity.

EDIT: I would suggest keeping your ad here on the 'Temp. Scam rates are crazy low and only a handful have made scams in the past several years.

EDIT 2: Honestly, the way I'm reading it right now, it appears that you have never ever sold a thing online, and you have quite a ways to learn. It's not a bad thing, I'm merely looking out for you in a way. I'd suggest doing a lot of research and possibly pulling your listing, because for a newbie, you do not want to place high value commodities on the eMarket, simply because you aren't experienced enough yet to spot what a scammer can do. I've had some horrible stories happen back in my day, and I honestly feel at this time that you simply are not prepared to do this yet.

Yes, I am new to selling products online and it is potentially risky business, and my dad though, he's a bloody expert at eBay and he knows all about it. But I appreciate that so many people are looking out for me :) :) The problem is, with my current ad on the Temp, no one has actually looked at it or posted any comments on it yet and well, I don't think anyone will ever be interested in it :( Knowing me, it's probably a crappy ad that is poorly worded, hence why no one is interested or bothered to read it. What, if anything, should I change in the ad on the following thread?

Here's the posting: http://gbatemp.net/threads/selling-lenovo-y570.358742/

With that said, you're right, I'm better off pulling the ad from Craigslist. What of the ad on here?

Reactions: calmwaters

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I am new to selling products online and it is potentially risky business, and my dad though, he's a bloody expert at eBay and he knows all about it. But I appreciate that so many people are looking out for me :):) The problem is, with my current ad on the Temp, no one has actually looked at it or posted any comments on it yet and well, I don't think anyone will ever be interested in it :( Knowing me, it's probably a crappy ad that is poorly worded, hence why no one is interested or bothered to read it. What, if anything, should I change in the ad on the following thread?

With that said, you're right, I'm better off pulling the ad from Craigslist

Don't get me wrong, it's more than possible to sell it, depending on how much you want for it, but for a new seller, it's a lot of work especially if you cannot spot the common signs of a scam. The Craigslist buyer wanting to Paypal for it is an immediate red flag, and if you were unable to notice that, than hoo boy, you're in for one rough ride.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

*snip*

Soooo..... I should be lucky that I bought 40 items on eBay and never got scammed? All except for the Wii Sports disc I got in a Wii Play case. Your point is that people on the internet are untrustworthy; I heard about that Craigslist scam.
The problem is, with my current ad on the Temp, no one has actually looked at it or posted any comments on it yet and well, I don't think anyone will ever be interested in it :( Knowing me, it's probably a crappy ad that is poorly worded, hence why no one is interested or bothered to read it. What, if anything, should I change in the ad on the following thread?

There's this thread for a PS3 game on here. Been here maybe a month and still hasn't sold. People don't like Sony, but they like computers... Maybe you could pass it off as a computer that plays Nintendo games :unsure:

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, it's more than possible to sell it, depending on how much you want for it, but for a new seller, it's a lot of work especially if you cannot spot the common signs of a scam. The Craigslist buyer wanting to Paypal for it is an immediate red flag, and if you were unable to notice that, than hoo boy, you're in for one rough ride.

I knew it was weird since he showed his phone number in an email, then I looked up the area code and yep, Virginia. But yes, I will remove the ad on Craigslist. What about the ad on here? As was stated, people are rarely scammed on here and are trustworthy. I really want to sell this ASAP, but not on CL. That dick on CL was trying to scam me for sure, because he hasn't gotten back to me after the second email I replied to.

I see no harm in keeping it on here so people can see it, but yeah the other places, hell no. Did you look at the ad in the WTS thread? How can I make it more "enticing"?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew it was weird since he showed his phone number in an email, then I looked up the area code and yep, Virginia. But yes, I will remove the ad on Craigslist. What about the ad on here? As was stated, people are rarely scammed on here and are trustworthy.

Your choice. Depends if people want it or not, although computers are a bit harder to sell.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your choice. Depends if people want it or not, although computers are a bit harder to sell.

Damn, now I feel like an idiot for having the balls to want to sell this laptop :cry: Then what do you suggest I do if I want to sell it ASAP? Never should have made this effing thread since it was clearly a mistake and a waste of time. :sad:

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, now I feel like an idiot for having the balls to want to sell this laptop :cry: Then what do you suggest I do if I want to sell it ASAP?

Never should have made this effing thread since it was clearly a mistake.

If you want to sell it ASAP, you private message me, ask me for my address, tell me to pay for shipping+one extra dollar, wish me a Merry Christmas, and then send me the laptop unit. :tpi:

Reactions: calmwaters

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to sell it ASAP, you private message me, ask me for my address, tell me to pay for shipping+one extra dollar, wish me a Merry Christmas, and then send me the laptop unit. :tpi:

Uh......well....uh.... I don't know how to respond to that......:blink: I think I'm just going to crawl in a corner in a fetal position while crying since I've only wasted your time :(

DAMN! WTF is wrong with me?

I may as well close this thread, or have someone do it because I've only made a fool outta myself and accomplished nothing in getting this resolved.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your computer isn't bad by any means. Be happy it at least has a discrete graphics card, which is better than mine. :cry:

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fear not, your tears are lovely and providing drink for the poor this holiday season :tpi:

I'm totally screwing with you. :P But in all seriousness, you should (if you want to) continue finding avenues to sell if you feel so inclined to. You either gotta take Paypal or just move on and forget about the sale. Considering the alternatives, Paypal is actually the safest way if you do everything right.

Reactions: the_randomizer

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fear not, your tears are lovely and providing drink for the poor this holiday season :tpi:

I'm totally screwing with you. :P But in all seriousness, you should (if you want to) continue finding avenues to sell if you feel so inclined to. You either gotta take Paypal or just move on and forget about the sale. Considering the alternatives, Paypal is actually the safest way if you do everything right.

Oh I know PayPal is secure, but what kills me is the wait as it takes time to actually have the money transfer to my bank account, correct? But I trust the people on here and I shouldn't have any problems, I do have a verified PayPal account. I just hope someone does have interest in it. If I go the CL path, it has to be cash only and able to meet with a person nearby just to make sure all goes well.

*29. Give it time. Patience is everything on the 'net, especially if you have DSL or a cable modem ;)

I sure hope so, and with the small % PayPal takes from the total price, I would need to adjust it. For Craigslist, it has to be cash only and I have to be able to meet up with the buyer, no exceptions.

Didn't mean to flip out ;)

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With craigslist, also do not leave a phone number out in the open (for instance, 123-456-7890). Leave it more along the lines of One2ThRee-45SIX-Seven8Nine0. Prevents spam adbots from attacking, and increases odds of more legitimate offers.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With craigslist, also do not leave a phone number out in the open (for instance, 123-456-7890). Leave it more along the lines of One2ThRee-45SIX-Seven8Nine0. Prevents spam adbots from attacking, and increases odds of more legitimate offers.

Oh no, I just have my email, but no phone number. So just reword it in a tricky way, heh, never thought of that :P And yeah, sorry for uh, freaking out like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Cool didn't know they ported cuphead on vita