Hacking Should I return my Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 card?

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, hindsight is 20/20 and I know now that I should have checked one of the SDHC compatibility lists before purchasing a SDHC card for my Wii. But I purchased it anyway and now I'm seriously considering returning it and getting my money back.

As mentioned in the thread title, I have a Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 card. You can view the details on the card here.

My question: Is there a possibility that homebrew developers (including the team responsible for BootMii) will write and publish updates that will allow the Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 card to function properly on the Wii?

Currently, the card in question locks the Wii 1 out of every 4-5 boots and sometimes takes significantly longer to load Wii menus.

If this is something that is being worked on, then I might as well just limp along with my 2GB SD card for now (though it's starting to give out on me) and switch back to the 8GB when these problems are fixed.

KennyLeam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you bought from newegg might cost you $5-10 to return ship since it is a 'remorse' return. Try to sell on craigslist. I picked up 3 of these for my new DSLR and they are speedy, which is great (without the cost of the supposed "class 10" cards)

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
strange how it doesnt work, as i have a 16gig transcend class 6 that works with everything ive thrown at it. (that said, i only use a 1gig card as i have other uses for the 16gig)

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the BootMii info screen, I have version 1.1 installed. I've read elsewhere that the same version is also called public beta 4. Based on a few searches, I believe it's the latest version available. Is that correct?

And could a future BootMii update fix the issue with the Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6? From what I gather, it's a good card. Just not for this purpose (and I don't have any other devices that use SDHC cards).

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I decided to format the card to FAT (was previously using FAT32) with Allocation Unit Size set to 4096 bytes. That has allowed me to boot into the Wii without lockups for 3 consecutive sessions; however, the card was very, very slow reading my one channel (a purchased Virtual Console game) using the SD Card channel.

So the good news is that I've dodged the lockups.

The bad news is that BootMii still doesn't read the card, even if it's formatted to FAT (instead of FAT32).

I read in the BootMii changelog that Beta 3 improved SD card compatibility. This gives me reason to hope that a future version of BootMii may improve SD card compatibility again and include a fix for the Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 card. I'm not assuming anything and will continue to search for a 8GB SDHC Class 6 card that works with BootMii, but it's good to know not all is lost.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you tried using the Panasonic Formatter? Any time in the past I have had issues with SD cards, I run them through this and the Wii has no further problems with it. Seems that Windows screws up the formatting of certain SD cards, or they come that way from the factory. Anyway, try formatting it with this, and see how it goes.

Panasonic Formatter

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you have a smartphone that supports micro SDHC you could always use it as a media card for the phone. That's what I used my extra micro SDHC card for, now I can watch Trailer Park Boys on my Blackberry when I'm stuck waiting for something.
smile.gif

Edit: Oops, my bad, didn't read that it was regular SDHC and not micro... I should read better next time, lol.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i had the same problem a little while back with the HC cards, basically from what I got, some work some dont. I had a 8GB Toshiba SD plugged it up loaded everything worked great for a while, then i installed a channel and poof nothing worked. so i went crazy and updated HBC which did help, newer HBC worked with the 8GB and so did SD Channel, but homebrew apps would not work with it, even the homebrew that state they support SDHC, tried panasonic formatter to no avail. so in the end, give the SD card to your wife for her camera, thats what i did and go back to your 2gb

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retrievil said:
Have you tried using the Panasonic Formatter? Any time in the past I have had issues with SD cards, I run them through this and the Wii has no further problems with it. Seems that Windows screws up the formatting of certain SD cards, or they come that way from the factory. Anyway, try formatting it with this, and see how it goes.

Panasonic FormatterI even had the Panasonic SD Formatter installed, but I completely forgot about it. I just formatted the card using SD Formatter and I'm going to try it again.

If this doesn't work, I'm going to store the 8GB card and go back to my 2GB card.

Dteyn said:
If you have a smartphone that supports micro SDHC you could always use it as a media card for the phone. That's what I used my extra micro SDHC card for, now I can watch Trailer Park Boys on my Blackberry when I'm stuck waiting for something.
smile.gif

QUOTE(VashTS @ Dec 7 2009, 07:51 PM)
so in the end, give the SD card to your wife for her camera, thats what i did and go back to your 2gb
Unfortunately, the card in question is a SDHC card, not a microSDHC card, and my digital camera is old enough that I doubt it will support a SDHC card. I already have a 2GB microSD card for my cell phone and a 8GB microSDHC Class 6 card for my CycloDS Evolution.

In short, I don't have a use for this card if I don't use it in my Wii.

hanguker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe put it in a card reader and plug it into the back of your wii. Use it as a small USB loader for your games.

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sYndrome13 said:
I even had the Panasonic SD Formatter installed, but I completely forgot about it. I just formatted the card using SD Formatter and I'm going to try it again.

If this doesn't work, I'm going to store the 8GB card and go back to my 2GB card.Well, even SD Formatter couldn't get the 8GB SDHC card to play nice with BootMii and I still have frequent lockups on boot.
frown.gif

So, back to my 2GB card. Time to clean off everything I don't need to free up some space.

Posts merged

QUOTE(hanguker @ Dec 8 2009, 04:24 PM) Maybe put it in a card reader and plug it into the back of your wii. Use it as a small USB loader for your games.
I already have a 160GB drive plugged in to my Wii for games. That would be a good idea if I didn't have the 160GB drive, though.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I wouln't even use a sdhc card if it was said to be compatible with BootMii. BootMii, HBC, homebrew apps, sd nand emu and sd loaders ALL have different compatibilities. I wouldn't expect from any sdhc card for work for everything, but some 2 GB sd cards do.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WiiPower said:
I wouln't even use a sdhc card if it was said to be compatible with BootMii. BootMii, HBC, homebrew apps, sd nand emu and sd loaders ALL have different compatibilities. I wouldn't expect from any sdhc card for work for everything, but some 2 GB sd cards do.

I use a 16GB A-Open SDHC card and it's compatible with everything on the Wii. Well I shouldn't say every single thing, since I've not tested every homebrew app there is, but it works fine with bootmii, wadmanager, HBC, emulators for every system, ftpii, etc. Only cost me $25 on sale too.
smile.gif

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
In that case, what 2GB card(s) would you recommend? It seems as though my 2GB is dying on me, too.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kingston for the lifetime warranty, or sandisk....right now i have a transcend 2gb micro in the wii works fine, haven't had a single problem

omegadelta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought the exact same card from Newegg's Thanksgiving day sale... I did notice that the card wasn't compatible with BootMii before I bought it, but the price was so good I picked it up anyways with the hope that the compatibility gets fixed somewhere down the line. I do have a ton of other electronics that can use the card though. Worse comes to worse OP, just pick up a micro SDHC USB key reader from Deal Extreme or the like and you'll have a handy place to store files that you can move around easily.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple