notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First some background. I hate apple. I hate everything from their bullshit marketing techniques to their overcharging for their merchandise. I love the umpc concept. No good umpcs are out on the market for under $500. The ipod touch fits into my current needs for a portable device to compliment my 701 eeepc (which only fits halfway into my largest pockets
biggrin.gif
).

EDIT: Purchased one, thanks for the quick answers
*answered questions*
1. How hard is it to set up a phone-only plan with a smartphone? (IE putting the simcard in my RAZR into an iphone or the upcoming m8 )
2. How active is the jailbraking community now that official app development is allowed?
3. Is video out possible without buying Apple's bullshit 50 dollar solution? *I love you China*
4. Just how many of the (good) official apps are free?
5. What are the odds that the bluetooth used in the Nike N+ will be hacked for use with things like headsets and other bluetooth peripherals?
6. How well do touchscreen controls work for emulators?
7. Suggested location for buying one? (online vs apple store, etc)

Pado

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1) as long as the (i)phone is simlock free it should work with any sim provider for normal use, whether it comes with an internet plan doesn't matter. The sim is just a sim.
2) new firmware's will usually be jailbroken by the scene within a 1-7 days.
4) who carez if you are gonna jailbreak it anyway ... just download the official progs not so officially
wink.gif

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are plenty of good UMPCs out there in the $500 USD range. I suggest the WiBrain B1LE. It is larger than an iPod Touch, but it is far more functional and certainly one of the better UMPCs out there. I would actually suggest waiting until the i1 comes out as it upgrades to an Atom processor instead of a VIA C7-M. Also will have 3G (with a SIM slot) an SD card reader, a better location for the USB port and improved battery life. It will also come in the same general price range as the B1. If you want something truly pocketable, then the iPod Touch is really the only option in that price range, but it is also vastly underpowered compared to things like the WiBrain or Gigabyte M528. If internal storage isn't important to you, the Pandora is going to be very nice.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't hate Apple if you are considering getting an iPod. Before we answer your question, ask yourself this: "Do I really hate Apple enough to not buy their sweet products?"

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
notnarb said:
First some background. I hate apple. I hate everything from their bullshit marketing techniques to their overcharging for their merchandise. I love the umpc concept. No good umpcs are out on the market for under $500. The ipod touch fits into my current needs for a portable device to compliment my 701 eeepc (which only fits halfway into my largest pockets
biggrin.gif
).

Few questions:
1. How hard is it to set up a phone-only plan with a smartphone? (IE putting the simcard in my RAZR into an iphone or the upcoming m8 )
2. How active is the jailbraking community now that official app development is allowed?
3. Is video out possible without buying Apple's bullshit 50 dollar solution?

(more questions to come)

I'm just like you... I hate Apple very much, (Only regarding Ipods.) but I was very tempted to buy an Ipod touch 32 gig.

But instead, I changed my mind, and is getting a good laptop. Instead. Still, here's a few answer to your questions.

1. Ipod Touch isn't a phone.... Unless you're actually talking about the Iphone.
2. It'll be very active, since the community is large.
3. Can't you just get a free video convertor somewhere, and use it to fit the resolution, etc of the supported specs? It should work. I mean, there's multiple 3rd party softwares that are made to do this.
4. You can look at the free list using Itunes store, can't you? There's a free section in the app section.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the phone question was regarding getting a touch vs getting an iphone or m8 (so that I can have both in one device while keeping my current call + sms plan), sorry if that wasn't clear.

QUOTE said:
3. Can't you just get a free video convertor somewhere, and use it to fit the resolution, etc of the supported specs? It should work. I mean, there's multiple 3rd party softwares that are made to do this.
I meant ipod > *cable* > television like you could with the gen 5 classic via the headphone support (which the ipod touch supports, but Apple created the need for an authentication chip in the cable so that they could charge 50 dollars for, essentially, a 5 dollar AV cable often bundled with digital cameras)

QUOTE said:
There are plenty of good UMPCs out there in the $500 USD range...
The wibrain is nice and all, but I would need to sell my eeepc in order to afford one and is just a *tad* too bulky for my tastes. The m528 is also nice (nicer in my opinion) but it is upwards of 650 dollars, doesnt support windows (dont get me wrong, I love linux, but I also love me some warcraft 3, please no comments on WINE, I've tried it), and has few external controls. Regarding power - My current favorite umpc is the evernote run (not the new clamshell one), but those are worse for media playback then the ipod touch :S

QUOTE said:
You don't hate Apple if you are considering getting an iPod. Before we answer your question, ask yourself this: "Do I really hate Apple enough to not buy their sweet products?"
The quest for the perfect umpc is maddening and although I do hate Apple with a firey, firey passion, one cant help but acknowledge that no other device is going to get as much public support (for a good while at least.. I'm looking at you android). The ipod touch is relatively cheap and currently unrivaled in its market, unlike the classic/nano/shuffle (and I would take a zune / meizu or any reputable mp3 player / meizu again for a similar price
tongue.gif
over those three any day of the month, especially the crappy, crappy nano )
4. You can look at the free list using Itunes store, can't you? There's a free section in the app section.
Until absolutely necessary I will refrain from installing that bloatware on my computer

*new questions added*

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
5. What are the odds that the bluetooth used in the Nike N+ will be hacked for use with things like headsets and other bluetooth peripherals?
Not very, considering the iPhone has had it since release and there's been no development.

QUOTE said:
Horribly.

You likely won't get much cheaper than Apple Store (unless you get a last-gen refurb on sale somewhere).

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you hate apple, at least, if you hate apple as much as I do, just don't bother. even with the introduction of the app store it is still a very closed platform.

Personally, I would just wait for the T-mobile G1 (aka Gphone, aka HTC dream) to come out, it will be better and far more customizable anyway; oh, and did I mention it will be cheaper? Its not like you will have long to wait, its coming out next month in the US and in November in europe.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
notnarb said:
biggrin.gif
).

Few questions:

*answered questions*
3. Is video out possible without buying Apple's bullshit 50 dollar solution? *I love you China*
(more questions to come)
My 701 fits in most of my pockets with only 1 cm sticking out.
laugh.gif

You should probably go for the iPhone 3G instead of iPod Touch.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
If you hate apple, at least, if you hate apple as much as I do, just don't bother. even with the introduction of the app store it is still a very closed platform.

Personally, I would just wait for the T-mobile G1 (aka Gphone, aka HTC dream) to come out, it will be better and far more customizable anyway; oh, and did I mention it will be cheaper? Its not like you will have long to wait, its coming out next month in the US and in November in europe.
400 dollars, tmobile, no headphone jack, choppy web browsing. Will definitely be something to look into for the second revision
QUOTEMy 701 fits in most of my pockets with only 1 cm sticking out.
You should probably go for the iPhone 3G instead of iPod Touch.
Very nice. If I could afford a monthly internet plan, I would get an Iphone 3g, but since I can't, it seems like a waste of an extra $200+

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
5. What are the odds that the bluetooth used in the Nike N+ will be hacked for use with things like headsets and other bluetooth peripherals? None. N+ is using it's own frequencies, as far as I know. Close to BT, but not close enough.
6. How well do touchscreen controls work for emulators? They don't. The Cocoa touch platform is only great for media, gaming on iPhone/iPod touch is a horrible, horrible experience.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
notnarb said:
UltraMagnus said:

400 dollars, tmobile, no headphone jack, choppy web browsing. Will definitely be something to look into for the second revision

so?
Hmm, forgot how crap they apparently are in the US
use a bluetooth headset/headphones or use the included miniusb to 3.5mm cable
will probably be fixed soon, its just a software issue

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
I have no intention of entering a flame war with an apple fan boy that does not value customization, freedom and openness (oh, and having a proper keyboard :-P).
Superior interface, performance, and usability are far more important in my eyes.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
UltraMagnus said:
I have no intention of entering a flame war with an apple fan boy that does not value customization, freedom and openness (oh, and having a proper keyboard :-P).
Superior interface, performance, and usability are far more important in my eyes.

I'm going to have to go with Urza and DrKupo on this one. At this point Android is pretty bad, and obviously we won't be able to make the G1 better like we can with Android so it's going to stay crappy.

The iPhone, on the other hand, has a great interface, it works, its is fairly customizable after jailbreaking, ect.

Right now, the iPhone/iTouch beats an Android phones.

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
UltraMagnus said:

Seconding this. Also, a headphone jack sorta matters to me (LOL).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here