Should I play the pokemon remakes?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by mrbits, Jul 16, 2015.

1. mrbits
    OP

mrbits GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    So it's been ages since I played a pokemon game, but for some reason I have a hankering to play now that I have a 3DS :)

I've played Red, Silver, Crystal and Ruby.

What are you opinions on playing the remakes? Apart from graphics, are they any different to the originals?

Also, does anyone know why they never remake the 3rd game in a series? (e.g., crystal)

2. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    THere's the new features like double battles, breeding stuff, and ruby's remake on the 3ds include mega evolutions and some extra story to accommodate it. But for the most part, they're the same game.

3. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I will speak to the Pokemon Soul Silver and Heart Gold remakes. Now, you might have to take my rantings with a grain of well I dont know. Here's the thing, Soul Silver was the last pokemon game I have played. I tried out X, But man was it weird. SS and HG were fantastic remakes of the originals. Staying true to the core 250 some pokemon till you got over to Kanto (to my dismay). But whatever. Night and day cycles intact, with a world built in the gen 4 engine. I usually dont spend too much time with a pokemon game, but SS sucked 80 some hours from me. I just really really fell in love with it and kept playing.

Game Freak doesn't remake the "special edition" game in the series because the two remakes are supposed to take whatever was added in that SE and incorporate them into the two original remakes. Does that make sense? If there were special features in Crystal, when SS and HG were remade, Game Freak incorportated those special things into the remakes, eliminating the need for another remake.

Side note, the names Crystal and Platinum should have been switched IMO. Silver, Gold, and the next plausible step is platinum. Crystal might be a little ambiguious to fit with Diamond/Pearl, but whatever. It could have been... Quarts. I dont know.

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    do you seriously want that they sell you 3x of the same exact game? they already make 2 versions of the same game (for example alpha saphira and omega ruby) ok its fun to choose one and your friend chooses another, but having a third version would you buy any of the other 2? no one would get the other 2 with a third version...

when they made the core games, and at later time they release the same game with a revision and extra content, in the old days it was ok, but now when you can easily download an update it doesn't make much sense, specially with remakes, or does it?
    if they remake the games then later release a more upgraded version of the remake, i wouldn't like that... pokemon makes little sense but that would be outrageous

anyway
    you should get platinum then, its not a remake but its the next game from ruby..
    if you preefer remake, then alpha saphira\omega ruby is really great.. and since you have a 3ds

never get x\y, while some folks liked it, i also liked it but it is a small game, after playing it, i have it on the closet...

the silver\gold remakes are great but they got a permanent small lag, after playing you get used to but its somehting that can be a bother for some folk

the firered and leafgreen remakes are ok, appearence is the same as ruby\emerald but at beggining it is almost exactly the originals, you can't get pokemon from other regions until after elite 4, and you go to a set of new small islands post game. if you have the ruby cartridge its a great addition to your collection

5. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I've been thinking this for a long time.
    Though they only did that in HGSS, ORAS are missing everything that was added to Emerald.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    OR/AS are great and the extra story after the E4 was really enjoyable as well. Had some kick ass new music and interesting new characters.
    HG/SS is pretty much the same game I guess, not much new added.
    FR/LG had those new islands after the ending that were fun to check out, although it wasn't a whole lot of extra content.

Since it's been a while, the remakes give you a good excuse to replay games that you might replay anyway had the remakes not existed. I say go for it, and give the newer generations a try too. I have mixed feelings about the newer generations but overall I quite liked them. There were parts I disliked (mainly the selection of new Pokemon) but also parts I really liked.

I think you should start with OR/AS since that's my favorite out of all the newer generations and remakes. Lati@s is really awesome in the game, don't wanna spoil anything in case you don't know already so you'll see what I mean when you play it for yourself, and there's quite a lot of extra content after the E4.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jul 20, 2015
  7. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    quartz :) but yes i didn't think about that before, platinum does goes better with gold and silver hmm

8. potato3334

potato3334 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    California
    If you really love pokemon, then I'd say go for it.

9. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    If you enjoy Pokemon, go for it. Just a warning, for a series that has a lot of evolution in it, the games themselves don't really evolve.

10. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    grab omega ruby, original storyline+ more. and if you have an XL its even more worth it not to have it on the tiny GBA screen that is came out on. the secret bases are even more fun. pretty much everything is enhanced.

11. mrbits
    OP

mrbits GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Thanks for all the input :)

I have actually started playing Fire Red and I will work my way through the generations on a pokemon binge :D It is really bringing back memories of the original game and it's great to see it in glorious colour yet sticking quite close to the original.

As all the games that I have already played (sans Crystal obviously) have been remade, I'm pretty excited to play them and see what's new.

Silver was probably my favourite as going from Red on a gameboy pocket (none of this colour guff!) to that on a gameboy colour was mind-blowing at the time :P The night and day cycle alone was amazing, something we take for granted nowadays.

My playlist (going in order of the original releases):

Fire Red
    Soul Silver
    Omega Ruby
    Platinum
    Black
    Black 2
    X

Needless to say, I have a lot of gaming to do!