Should I play the pokemon remakes?

mrbits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So it's been ages since I played a pokemon game, but for some reason I have a hankering to play now that I have a 3DS :)

I've played Red, Silver, Crystal and Ruby.

What are you opinions on playing the remakes? Apart from graphics, are they any different to the originals?

Also, does anyone know why they never remake the 3rd game in a series? (e.g., crystal)

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
So it's been ages since I played a pokemon game, but for some reason I have a hankering to play now that I have a 3DS :)

What are you opinions on playing the remakes? Apart from graphics, are they any different to the originals?

Also, does anyone know why they never remake the 3rd game in a series? (e.g., crystal)

THere's the new features like double battles, breeding stuff, and ruby's remake on the 3ds include mega evolutions and some extra story to accommodate it. But for the most part, they're the same game.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will speak to the Pokemon Soul Silver and Heart Gold remakes. Now, you might have to take my rantings with a grain of well I dont know. Here's the thing, Soul Silver was the last pokemon game I have played. I tried out X, But man was it weird. SS and HG were fantastic remakes of the originals. Staying true to the core 250 some pokemon till you got over to Kanto (to my dismay). But whatever. Night and day cycles intact, with a world built in the gen 4 engine. I usually dont spend too much time with a pokemon game, but SS sucked 80 some hours from me. I just really really fell in love with it and kept playing.

Game Freak doesn't remake the "special edition" game in the series because the two remakes are supposed to take whatever was added in that SE and incorporate them into the two original remakes. Does that make sense? If there were special features in Crystal, when SS and HG were remade, Game Freak incorportated those special things into the remakes, eliminating the need for another remake.

Side note, the names Crystal and Platinum should have been switched IMO. Silver, Gold, and the next plausible step is platinum. Crystal might be a little ambiguious to fit with Diamond/Pearl, but whatever. It could have been... Quarts. I dont know.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
do you seriously want that they sell you 3x of the same exact game? they already make 2 versions of the same game (for example alpha saphira and omega ruby) ok its fun to choose one and your friend chooses another, but having a third version would you buy any of the other 2? no one would get the other 2 with a third version...

when they made the core games, and at later time they release the same game with a revision and extra content, in the old days it was ok, but now when you can easily download an update it doesn't make much sense, specially with remakes, or does it?
if they remake the games then later release a more upgraded version of the remake, i wouldn't like that... pokemon makes little sense but that would be outrageous

anyway
you should get platinum then, its not a remake but its the next game from ruby..
if you preefer remake, then alpha saphira\omega ruby is really great.. and since you have a 3ds

never get x\y, while some folks liked it, i also liked it but it is a small game, after playing it, i have it on the closet...

the silver\gold remakes are great but they got a permanent small lag, after playing you get used to but its somehting that can be a bother for some folk

the firered and leafgreen remakes are ok, appearence is the same as ruby\emerald but at beggining it is almost exactly the originals, you can't get pokemon from other regions until after elite 4, and you go to a set of new small islands post game. if you have the ruby cartridge its a great addition to your collection

D

Deleted User

Side note, the names Crystal and Platinum should have been switched IMO. Silver, Gold, and the next plausible step is platinum. Crystal might be a little ambiguious to fit with Diamond/Pearl, but whatever. It could have been... Quarts. I dont know.
I've been thinking this for a long time.
Game Freak doesn't remake the "special edition" game in the series because the two remakes are supposed to take whatever was added in that SE and incorporate them into the two original remakes. Does that make sense? If there were special features in Crystal, when SS and HG were remade, Game Freak incorportated those special things into the remakes, eliminating the need for another remake.
Though they only did that in HGSS, ORAS are missing everything that was added to Emerald.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

OR/AS are great and the extra story after the E4 was really enjoyable as well. Had some kick ass new music and interesting new characters.
HG/SS is pretty much the same game I guess, not much new added.
FR/LG had those new islands after the ending that were fun to check out, although it wasn't a whole lot of extra content.

Since it's been a while, the remakes give you a good excuse to replay games that you might replay anyway had the remakes not existed. I say go for it, and give the newer generations a try too. I have mixed feelings about the newer generations but overall I quite liked them. There were parts I disliked (mainly the selection of new Pokemon) but also parts I really liked.

I think you should start with OR/AS since that's my favorite out of all the newer generations and remakes. Lati@s is really awesome in the game, don't wanna spoil anything in case you don't know already so you'll see what I mean when you play it for yourself, and there's quite a lot of extra content after the E4.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
quartz :) but yes i didn't think about that before, platinum does goes better with gold and silver hmm

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you enjoy Pokemon, go for it. Just a warning, for a series that has a lot of evolution in it, the games themselves don't really evolve.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

grab omega ruby, original storyline+ more. and if you have an XL its even more worth it not to have it on the tiny GBA screen that is came out on. the secret bases are even more fun. pretty much everything is enhanced.

mrbits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the input :)

I have actually started playing Fire Red and I will work my way through the generations on a pokemon binge :D It is really bringing back memories of the original game and it's great to see it in glorious colour yet sticking quite close to the original.

As all the games that I have already played (sans Crystal obviously) have been remade, I'm pretty excited to play them and see what's new.

Silver was probably my favourite as going from Red on a gameboy pocket (none of this colour guff!) to that on a gameboy colour was mind-blowing at the time :P The night and day cycle alone was amazing, something we take for granted nowadays.

My playlist (going in order of the original releases):

Fire Red
Soul Silver
Omega Ruby
Platinum
Black
Black 2
X

Needless to say, I have a lot of gaming to do!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end