=/ Should I play Pokemon HG/SS when they come out?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Haloman800, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Haloman800
    OP

Member Haloman800 a real gril

United States
    Hello, I've never played a Pokemon game, never really knew what they were about. I see a lot of people excited about HG/SS, and I'm wondering if it's worth me trying it out when it comes out.

What is Pokemon about? What Genre is it? What do you do? Should I play HG/SS if I was to play it?

This isn't the reason I haven't ever played a Pokemon game, but a bunch of Churches say "Pokemon is EVIL", I don't really believe that, but I am Christian and I don't want to play a demonic looking game.

Thanks for your help.

2. silleeel

Newcomer silleeel Advanced Member

United States
    Dude its pretty demonic you should stay away!

3. Haloman800
    OP

United States
    -_-, Don't troll me please, especially my religious beliefs.

4. silleeel

Newcomer silleeel Advanced Member

United States
    Hey im not trolling! Keeping animals locked away in tiny plastic balls and only letting them out when you want to make them fight with one another to the death! Id classify that as evil!

5. Haloman800
    OP

United States
    lol.

Care to answer my other questions about the game?

6. Leamonde.Halcyon

Member Leamonde.Halcyon 6x9=42

United States
    Pokemon is a game where you catch creatures and train them to battle.
    I can't say I know why anyone would label pokemon evil. It's a game that, demographic wise, is made to be played by everyone so it's child friendly. There's no swearing no bad themes etc.
    Essentially you train a team of little monsters to battle other peoples teams of little monsters with the goal of beating all the masters and becoming the greatest pokemon champion.

I'd call it a turn based catch and train RPG.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

7. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    Pokémon games are 'easy to beat, hard to master' games. You'll beat the game few days. But if you get into competitive battling or try to complete the pokedex or minigames likes contests and pokeathlon it will keep you busy for months if not years.
    As for being evil, as a fairly religious person I honestly can't see any connection.

8. Atashi

Member Atashi Out of the Loop

Canada
    I've never played a pokemon game either, and have very little idea of what it's about... I've seen the threads all popping about using terminology that leaves me befuddled. [​IMG]

Still, I pre-ordered soulsilver, not because I'm really keen on playing it, but because I'm really keen on gadgets, and the pokewalker is a gadget. I wanna take it apart and learn how it ticks. [​IMG]

Anyhow - back to the game itself - is it difficult to learn? As I said, the terminology sounded pretty befuddling, and I gather that there's a lot of these little monsters that all have different names and stats etc., does one have to learn all that stuff too?

Cheers!

-Atashi

9. Leamonde.Halcyon

United States
    Yeah the only thing that you could even vaguely call a reason to think it's "demonic" is that you fight with monsters...most of which are adorable and less than badass looking XD

EDIt: no atashi it's not hard to learn. The basic system is very simple and the way they do things, you pick everything up through the course of the game at a very easy pace. Things can be a bit complicated if you want to get into serious online battling but that's the meta game and you may or may not want to bother, you know?

10. Haloman800
    OP

United States
    Wow; Thank you so much, all of you, that's very informative. I pre-ordered both, so they won't sell out, I'll decide which one I want when I get there.

Which game should I get? Heart Gold or Soul Silver?

11. Da Mafia

Member Da Mafia GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    They are both the same except for slight differences in Pokémon you can catch.

If you've never played Pokémon before then you won't have and preferences, so just get whichever game you like the sound of the most.

12. Leamonde.Halcyon

United States
    I vote silver because I like silver [​IMG] it has the pokemon exclusives I prefer plus I just like the color silver.

Check out the birds on the front of the packages-those are ones you can only get in that particular game [​IMG]

13. ~Russ~

Newcomer ~Russ~ Member

United States
    There are two main differences. One is the that there are twenty or so Pokemon that are specific to each version. Since you've never played a Pokemon game before, that's probably not a big deal to you. The second is that each one's story, while nearly identical, (somewhat) revolves around the legendary Pokemon on the game's cover, either Ho-oh or Lugia. So basically, pick whichever game's cover you like best, because you'll be catching that thing before the game's over.

14. Jasonese

Newcomer Jasonese Advanced Member

United States
    You forgot to mention that you CAN get both in either game. It's just that the cover one is available much sooner than the other.

Pokemon is pretty good, despite how repetitive it feels. There's so much to do, not really any replay value IMO since everything is available through trading and once you have it, you don't want to lose it unless for something better. I never really got in depth with any pokemon game, but it's definitely worth beating.

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The differences between each are very minor, mainly coming down to which pokemon show up. One one version there's like 15 that only show up in that version, whereas the other version has it's own set of ~15 that don't show up in the first. This is mainly done to make sure that you trade pokemon with other people, since you have to trade with other versions to get those exclusive ones if you want them, or if your goal is to collect every one (which is no small feat, but not a requirement to beating the game, of course). In fact you can beat the game with only 1 if you really wanted and tried really hard, though that'd be more along the lines of a low-level game than anything else, not normal gameplay.

It can be thought of as an RPG where your chosen team is not set by the story, sort of like how an RTS game like the final fantasy tactics series lets you pick and choose the members of your party... except in this case they're monsters you can fight in the wild, and if you want something you're fighting you can attempt to catch it, and if you succeed it's now on your team. You can carry/use 6 pokemon at once, the rest are stored in a PC, you can access the PC from a pokecenter (the game's equal of a hotel) and swap your team around at will.

As you fight with them and they level up, they sometimes evolve (if certain criteria are met, usually passing a certain level, but sometimes they need something special done) into new forms that are (almost always) bigger and more powerful/badass.

For example [​IMG] evolves into [​IMG] which evolves into [​IMG]

And of course as you raise them they learn new moves, they can vary from flinging sand into an opponent's face in order to reduce it's accuracy, or a full-on body slam, to calling out a damn lightning strike at them.

You don't need to bother learning all their names and stats and crap, you can usually guess their type and stuff about them from their looks. For example, the ones above (totodile/croconaw/feraligatr) are the water-type and learn lots of water and biting moves, and have good offense.

The game teaches you stuff as you go along, and you get hints and such from the other trainers you beat, I think it's kinda' stupid of me to have attempted to condense this into a post, but I wanted to back up the "easy to beat, hard to master" thing.

16. Haloman800
    OP

United States
    Thank you for all of the information, it seems pretty deep.

Is it possible to get all the Pokemon from both games on one game?

And can you trade with yourself, like, if you have both games, could you trade through them?

17. abrack08

Newcomer abrack08 Advanced Member

United States
    When I was 10 or 11, I had super religious neighbors who wouldn't let their kids watch or play pokemon solely because it had ghost pokemon in it.

If you're going to be offended if you see a GHOST pokemon, or that there is one Pokemon who supposedly created all the others and the universe and stuff (though he is a legendary, I'm not sure he's even mentioned in this game), then you shouldn't play it. Otherwise you'll probably enjoy it a lot.

EDIT: In response to your last post, you can trade between games, but you'd have to have 2 DS's to do so. However, if you're thinking of getting both to try to catch all 493 pokemon, I would advise against it. Certain rare pokemon are ONLY given away at special events/nintendo events. Chances are you won't be able to go to all of them, so your only way to get some of these pokemon is to trade. Unfortunately, there are lots of people out there who cheat to give themselves whatever pokemon they want, so you may end up trading a pokemon you poured your life and soul into for a "fake" legendary one. At the end of the day, it's possible to get all 493 but you're not likely to do so. Also, since you will have to trade to get a lot of pokemon anyway, might as well only buy 1 and also trade with someone for the HG only pokemon.

18. Haloman800
    OP

United States
    Hmm, I might just get a 100% save a few months down the road when it's released, lol.

Is it not possible to trade with 1 DS and the Pokewalker?

19. Leamonde.Halcyon

United States
    You can trade but not with yourself with only 1 DS but they do have WIFI trading

20. ~Russ~

Newcomer ~Russ~ Member

United States
    Well, not exactly. The You can trade between the Pokewalker and one game, but you can't use the Pokewalker as a "middle man". However, you can use the GTS (Global Trade Station), a wi-fi trading center, to trade with yourself, or with other people.