astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I love retrogaming, and my local store has a copy of Super Smash TV for cheap...and my local thrift store has a complete SNES system for $25 and includes a copy of Donkey Kong Country. It looks like a newer version - as the plastic hasn't yellowed too much, and there are almost no cosmetic dings with it.

Should I pick it up? I think it's worth it, and will probably end up playing it at the dorms....

*Update: Just went to the thrift store: someone else bought it! Damn it. I really wanted to start playing old games...*

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
buy it, but be careful, as with all consoles, only the original controllers are really great.

if you have to buy an imitation, god, at least dont buy anything with an 8 way D-Pad

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, it looks like it comes with an original controller too.

I will probably pick it up tomorrow - hopefully, it's still there! *screams if it isn't*

Also, is there anything I should be aware of in terms of buying an used console? Sorry - I haven't played with my SNES in ages - just played MK2 and a lot of Earthbound (never beat it, although...)....

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well, it would suck of it lacked the cables to connect it to a tv or if the ac adapter wasnt working...you probably should ask how things work in case its actually not working anymore

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought one and it stop functioning in just a few months, then I bought another one and it lasted only three months. I stopped after that, but it was worth it.
biggrin.gif

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had my SNES for as long as I can remember and I don't see me disposing of it any time soon. Here's a short list of reasons why the SNES kicks ass.

- Starwing for the win. I love that game.
- Stunt Race FX
- Super Mario AllStars+World
- Yoshi's Island
- Zombies Ate My Neighbours
- Final Fantasy VI, arguably the best in the series
- Chrono Trigger
- F Zero
- Zelda Link To The Past
- UN Squadron (which I still can't get rid of >:()
- Super Metroid.
- Super Castlevania IV
- Jelly Boy
- Indiana Jones Trilogy
- Super Star Wars Trilogy
- Earthbound
- Secret of Mana
- Donkey Kong Country series.

I don't need to go on. I could, but I don't need to. That list alone is enough gaming greatness to keep pretty much any gamer satisfied for at least a year.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Ask if its possible to see it working first, just to be sure all is in order.
First thing to do with any used game you buy should be clean the contacts so you don't dirty up your system. You can get some weird glitches like this from bad contacts
P040610_1934.jpg

After I cleaned the contacts with some lens cleaner (rubbing alcohol) and a cotton bud it was all good and I can race F-Zero to my heart's content
biggrin.gif

Not sure about cleaning the system's contacts but apparently a credit card with some tissue paper on it and some rubbing alcohol works.

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For super smash tv, hell yes. By far one of the best snes games and even more fun with a friend. A bit of a warning though, snes games can be a bit expensive in comparison to n64 games so there's a good chance you might have to shell out 20 bucks for some games. Luckily, there is still a great list of games you can pick up for around 10$.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
Ask if its possible to see it working first, just to be sure all is in order.
First thing to do with any used game you buy should be clean the contacts so you don't dirty up your system. You can get some weird glitches like this from bad contacts
P040610_1934.jpg

After I cleaned the contacts with some lens cleaner (rubbing alcohol) and a cotton bud it was all good and I can race F-Zero to my heart's content
biggrin.gif

Not sure about cleaning the system's contacts but apparently a credit card with some tissue paper on it and some rubbing alcohol works.

Yeah, that was my bad...sorry
frown.gif

And tehnoobshow, I personally thought FF7 was better as well but I'm to understand that amongst the truly hardcore FF fans we're in the minority. Although quite why I don't class as a hardcore fan given that I own a chocobo and a moogle is anyone's guess
moogle.gif

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
I really need to get a few more SNES games... Starwing is a definite must for me, Super Castlevania would be epic, Super Metroid comes to mind but copies of that are quite expensive.

Also, Super Star Wars is one tough nut of a game! Even on Easy mode that thing is nasty.

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
I really need to get a few more SNES games... Starwing is a definite must for me, Super Castlevania would be epic, Super Metroid comes to mind but copies of that are quite expensive.

Also, Super Star Wars is one tough nut of a game! Even on Easy mode that thing is nasty.
Agreed! I still have my stuff at home, although, I'm thinking of investing in an FC twin (the thing that plays both SNES and NES games)...

I miss Star Fox - haven't seen it in ages...

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
astrangeone said:
Jamstruth said:

Agreed! I still have my stuff at home, although, I'm thinking of investing in an FC twin (the thing that plays both SNES and NES games)...

I miss Star Fox - haven't seen it in ages...
Now my dad's got an eBay account set up (and he's become kinda obsessed with looking up various parts for his car on it) and he uses my Paypal account I think I'll be able to get the ones I want (only sub-£20 though)

FC Twin... Sounds like it would only run SFC/FC games which have different connectors but I looked it up and saw a pic of one with a US SNES cart sticking out of it, go figure. If I may say one thing about the US SNES though, that thing is ugly. It looks big and blocky, the JAP/EUR one looks smaller and cleaner to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)