Should I Invest In A Sealed Bronze DSi XL?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Team555, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Team555
    OP

Team555 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2014
    United States
    I currently own a DS Lite and DSi XL. I considered upgrading to a 3DS XL until I read about the upscaling, contrast, and updating firmware issues with DS games. I am interested in the forum's take on this - how distracting is it?

A local record store has a sealed bronze DSi XL for $110. Should I invest in this puppy (keep it sealed) in case my current XL bites the dust, sell it in a couple years if not, OR am I totally over thinking this whole thing...

Do you think a sealed DSi XL would be more valuable in two years???

Everyone's opinion is super appreciated here, especially those who own a 3DS XL and play a lot of DS titles.

Thank you in advance guys!
    T

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The upscaling issue only bothers people who really like 1:1 graphics, I don't think it'll bother you. The sheer value of 3DS games and the Circle Pad easily outweigh any argument in favor of the DSi XL - dip in and buy a 3DS XL as well as a compatible flashcart - this'll have you covered for way longer.

Sealed or not, the system will continue losing value over time until becomes a coveted item, say, in 30-40 years time? :P

3. goober

goober GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2006
    United States
    The resale value of sealed (popular) handhelds isn't all that great. So it's definitely not an investment. You need to factor in inflation as well. You almost never come out ahead. Only get it if you really want a sealed system for backup. Otherwise, frankly, you're better off just buying a near mint one for backup.

4. Team555
    OP

Team555 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'll pickup a 3DS instead when the time is right.

-T

5. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
    Also, I would recomend you get the Supercard DSTWO, they release updates to their flashcarts within 24-48 hours. Also, if you accidently update the 3ds before the cart (or on purpose) you can easily update the flashcart on the error screen without needing another ds. (You already have another ds so I doubt you will need this.

6. Guerillaz

Guerillaz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2012
    United States
    KEN-TUCK-KY
    There is really no need to invest in a sealed system unless it is a special edition. The standard bronze color is not really desired anyways. These are the facts. If it was a more desirable color then it would be worth it.