Hacking Should I Install the Homebrew Channel?

cosmo2389

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myotaku.com
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I have decided that I would like to install the Homebrew Channel on my Wii... But I am a little worried...

First off, if I ever remove the channel (by way of the Data Management method) could the ticket left behind potentially harm my Wii?

Secondly, is the channel affected by the IOS37 update? Meaning, will having the Homebrew Channel installed potentially harm my Wii when the dreaded IOS37 update is released?

Next, has a WAD version of the channel been released yet? My Wii is unmodded and I need a way to install it, if no WAD version exists, is their any other way to install on an unmodded system?

Thanks for taking the time to look! I hope that you can help me or my thread can help you!

link459

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Those are risks you're going to have to take if you put it on, for nothing is certain. Most likely the IOS37 update will not do a thing.

And there is no WAD version, and you do not need a modded Wii to install the channel.

All you need is the TP hack and the HBC elf, the elf installs the channel automatically.

Damademan3

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.davidcblake.com
XP
Country
United States
i been having a issue installing the HomeBrew Channel. I asked around about having to use Zelda and they said to just install throught the current hb channel or the WAD installer. I tried both and it says it cant read it. i tried putting the elf in the root and also in the wad but nothing. So i take it i need to reuse Zelda again.... Only reason i have not tried that step is because i dont own Zelda.

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
I would just like to take a moment to point out that you should NOT use a wad for the homebrew channel. According to the folks in #wiidev the homebrew channel does not use trucha but another variation that appears to work with IOS37. To ensure that you don't have any problems with IOS37 you should only use the ways that they have provided.

Install using the elf provided and the Twilight Princess hack. Or, if you have a modchip, you can burn one of the ISOs and install the channel that way. Do NOT use any other methods.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
At this point, there's really no point in installing the Homebrew channel unless your a WiiDev... there is the Wad Install/Uninstall channels, Mii Install/Extract channels, and all the Emu Channels... I honestly don't know what the average user could use the Homebrew channel for anymore. Sorry if I'm just being ignorant, but if you have a really good use for it, feel free to post it!

defrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There are many reasons to install the homebrew channel, many nice emus, easy to install/uninstall wads, saving lots of space. When there comes a firmware update just,.. "Dont" install it and check internet for a few days, then you will be save.

Good luck!

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SenorClean said:
Pretty sure that's a different homebrew channel (I mean, it was uploaded nearly a month before release:P)....

Not the slick new one http://hbc.hackmii.com/

No it is the official new homebrew channel. I should know, I'm the one who found it in the deepest pits of the internet and uploaded it.

So yeah, don't prove me wrong when i'm correct.

GBAtemp mucks up the uploaded date, i uploaded it about 3 days ago.

dread123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
but the wad u uploaded has not been endorsed by them has it. infact there have been warnings against using it -as explained earlier on in thread. so i advise people just to use the specified methods that the group have released. why bother messing about? at least this way you can get official support if it goes tits up. if you install wad, then your on your own unless someone can figure it out?

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Prime said:
SenorClean said:
Pretty sure that's a different homebrew channel (I mean, it was uploaded nearly a month before release:P)....

Not the slick new one http://hbc.hackmii.com/

No it is the official new homebrew channel. I should know, I'm the one who found it in the deepest pits of the internet and uploaded it.

So yeah, don't prove me wrong when i'm correct.

GBAtemp mucks up the uploaded date, i uploaded it about 3 days ago.
As stated dread123, it would be completely stupid to use an unoffical WAD which could have some modifications you don't want. Using an unofficial tool is dangerous especially when this tool (here, the homebrew channel) modifies the original operating system of the Wii.

dread123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so you say..but is this an official wad that the team have released or just one that someone has had to modify their workings to get this?
its not hard to install their original versions..they have supplied different methods to appeal to the majority. and if you cant install using those supplied methods then you shouldnt be toying with the homebrew channel in my opinion?
smile.gif

so which is it ?

OFFICIAL or Un-OFFICIAL ? meaning is it supported by the team or not?

casket of doom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
At this point, there's really no point in installing the Homebrew channel unless your a WiiDev... there is the Wad Install/Uninstall channels, Mii Install/Extract channels, and all the Emu Channels... I honestly don't know what the average user could use the Homebrew channel for anymore. Sorry if I'm just being ignorant, but if you have a really good use for it, feel free to post it!

there are a couple of emus that i cant find channels for... vba172, smsplus, and a working n64 emu. i launch wii 64 from homebrew but it totally sucks at this point. is there another working n64 emu? if you or any one know where they are it would be a huge help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: So true