should i install CFW on my kids 3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by darky2003, Apr 14, 2017.

1. darky2003
    OP

darky2003 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2009
    Belgium
    i have two kids 5 and 7 years old.
    Should i go for cfw or better stay at ofw.
    I don't want any problems because they got in some settings from the 3ds and messed it up!

2. souler92

souler92 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    there was a somewhat workaround for kid safe cfw, dont remember the original post about that tho...

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    There's no reason not to follow this guide to install A9LH and Luma3DS: https://3ds.guide/get-started

Once you're all done, it's pretty child-proof. Anything that could cause damage, such as using FBI to delete critical files, respects parental controls, so they won't be able to get into it. There's no feasible way they could screw up the 3DS or remove CFW.

Edit: If you don't do it now, they might accidentally update the 3DS to 11.4 if you don't have an update-blocking DNS in place, screwing you out of installing CFW in the future.

Last edited by Lacius, Apr 14, 2017
    fr3quency likes this.
  4. darky2003
    OP

Apr 2, 2009
    Belgium
    So when i turn on parental controls they won't get in the FBI app? U sure about that?

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    That is correct. Critical programs like FBI will respect parental controls. You can test it out yourself if you're unsure.

6. eechigoo

eechigoo GBATemp Rabbit

Dec 22, 2016
    Mexico
    Hell
    although it is my opinion that one should not trust such a young child with things such as the internet or smartphones, i don't see any problem with him having a 3DS.

Maybe use parental controls to avoid online play and youtube?

tell the kid that messing with FBI could destroy their 3DS and that you wont buy him another one?

7. darky2003
    OP

Apr 2, 2009
    Belgium
    would like to know before i install cfw, thats why i ask.
    But i believe you , thx ;-)
    ok gonna try to install cfw this weekend, pfffffff everything looks so complicated!
    And console won't be conected to the internet, don't want any updates installed XD

EDIT: BTW how long did it take to install from ofw to cfw for a first time?

Last edited by darky2003, Apr 14, 2017
  8. brunormalmeida

brunormalmeida Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2009
    Brazil
    It's not complicated at all. Just follow the guide step by step and everything will be ok.

darky2003 likes this.
  9. UnknownShadow2

UnknownShadow2 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    I did on my 6 year olds 3ds and i told her not to go into a particular folder (where i put all the homebrew stuff) and just showed her how to use freeshop. She loves it.

10. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    You should definitely use CFW! Get the 3DS set up just how you want it, then make a NAND backup. If they screw up anything, all you need to do is restore the NAND (I would be very surprised if they managed to uninstall A9LH "accidentally"). If you want you could set up an emuNAND with games that you want to play but you don't want the kids to have access to, and you'll have your own set of game saves! There are many different ways you can set this up to work for you!

11. vinstage

vinstage Zero Fucks Given

Jan 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I installed CFW for an 11 year old family member and I understand obviously that, he's 11, however he learns slow and doesn't have the mental capacity of one thus why I'm using him as an example.
    He loves it in short. I'd place a folder of all the vital applications far from view and directly tell them NOT to go there. Show them what you wanted to give them and leave it at that.
    For it being too complicated to install, it's easy to create a thread on the temp and most of the community are willing to help if you make mistakes, as i've learnt. This is just to prevent you from bricking the 3DS as the process to unbricking in theory is complex.

darky2003 likes this.
  12. OfficialBrony

OfficialBrony

Banned
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

vinstage and darky2003 like this.
  13. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    I'd also like to mention that Luma blocks the update nag by default now, so unless you buy a game requiring 11.4 (there are non I know of right now) they won't be able to without going to system settings manually. So that's another safety net.