PS1/2 Should I get this for my first non-nintendo experience?

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I got an extremely late Christmas gift card for GameStop, and it has $100 on it. With a little searching, I found that some consoles are within my price range when refurbished.
I don't know of any games I'd want on an Xbox besides Halo, and I know of more i'd want on the PS2, so I've decided that if I buy a refurbished console it will be a PS2.

Would this be an okay starter?
-Refurbished PS2 for $59.99
-Nyko PS2 8Meg Memory Card for $9.99
-Kingdom Hearts for $14.99
-Shadow of the Colossus for $17.99

I know that goes over $100 (I checked on a calculator, so I know this), but not by much... And since I've never actually played either game but want them with the entire being of my soul (As well as KH2, Ico, and a few others I may not know about right now)... This sounds pretty good to me.

And yes, I know I picked the cheapest mem card.... I forgot the PS2 used those until after I had picked my games and stuff.

So do you think it's pretty much good and worth it?

D

Deleted User

Ditch Kingdom Hearts and get Dragon Quest VIII
yay.gif

Is it a slim PS2? Thats a pretty good price.

Ferinthul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Inunah said:
haflore said:
That's a good set, but once you get it you ahould check to see if you can sofmod it.
Nah, I won't mod it at all... :\ I'd break it. I mean, it's already refurbished, how much more torture should I do to it?

Well you CAN softmod it using MCboot, i did, all it does is just takes the memory card and puts a program to boot off of. Pretty simple stuff and it doesnt mess with the ps2 itself.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Inunah said:
haflore said:
That's a good set, but once you get it you ahould check to see if you can sofmod it.
Nah, I won't mod it at all... :\ I'd break it. I mean, it's already refurbished, how much more torture should I do to it?

If you want to softmod it, for media players, emulators and/or backups, get an original memory card. On 3rd party cards it's not guaranteed that it works. Well Free McBoot doesn't hurt your ps2, reading DVD-Rs(with ESR) would and it would allow you to run homebrew and "other" apps. One of them loads games via network. It's slower than reading from disc, but has the VERY BIG advantage of not stressing your laser(downside is that it requires a slim or network adapter). In my eyes that should be an option even if one was against backups, the lasers are really that bad.

As for games i recommend Final Fantasy X, God of War and Devil May Cry.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Well with the PS2 (not a slim) being $60 then i'd only have $40 to work with. So if you want to suggest a shit load of games, check GameStop to see if all of those games combined don't exceed $40.

And nah, NO MODS. I've done enough by facking around with NDS Piracy.

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you really should've gotten a Sony memory card...I realize that it may be a little more expensive, but some games have this Magic gate thing that craps out your fake memory cards....happened to me before, but it is pretty rare

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't do the console mod thing either so I can respect that. You got a good starter selection there for sure, but if you can get it, even if it's a price issue via Gamestop but maybe not elsewhere, or you can dig up a few extra dollars never ever use a third party memory card as you'll end up regretting it eventually.

Once you get a few more dollars I can suggest a few things as I was all up on Nintendo but used some Sega(rarely) previously up until the N64 era when I branched into the Turbo Duo and Dreamcast in the GC era when I worked at Midway I got into both Sony systems of the time. Sky Odyssey, ICO, Guitaroo Man, Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Medal of Honor Frontline and European Assault (but not Rising Sun though it is alright), Lupin the 3rd, NHL Hitz 2002(no rules arcade style hockey), Contra, Devil May Cry, and I could keep going would be some smart stuff to try and most wouldn't cost you much at all these days at all used. Odds are Gamestop probably would be the high end of it.

By the way if you can be patient probably Amazon marketplace could do you some better deals than Gamestop, but also if you luck it a 'game lot' off ebay would be good too from a high ranking seller.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yupyup...look at the site like you got a right to judge. PS2 is basically dead anyway so what's the beef? There are some new games out there that can get picked up in the wild still.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ditch the Kingdom Hearts games,

get Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, God of War I & II, Odin Sphere, Final Fantasy XII, Persona 3 & 4, and Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3,

and you'll have just about everything you'll ever need.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over