Hacking Should I get the R4 or the R4i Gold 3DS for a DS Lite?

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At this moment in time the only extra you would gain over R4 original would be Micro SDHC capability, Real Time Save, and the option to play DS games on a 3DS. You've already said you only intend to use a 2GB SD on a DS lite, so if Real Time Save doesn't concern you then you can use original R4 and the latest Wood kernel.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My R4 Original and R4 (1:1 clone) are still working fine after years of service, and the Wood kernel has excellent compatibility. He wants a cheap card to play some DS games off a 2GB Micro SD, so an R4 original clone or one of the R4i's from R4ids/R4idsn will do him just fine. DSTwo is an excellent card, but not only is it too expensive for what he needs it for, it's also like sending him on a quest to find the Holy Grail.
levelt8t, Another World's post below is still relevant, and any of these three cards will do you just fine:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/which-r4-should-i-buy.356885/

levelt8t

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since you guys know what you're talking about perhaps you could help me out with another question. After doing some thought, I'm going to opt for a 3DS instead of a DS Lite. So in this case (again I just need to be able to play games off an SD card), would I be alright with a R4i 3DS flash cart, or would I need to spend more to get the R4i Gold 3DS flash cart? I'm trying to keep costs low but I don't think that will be a problem since I only want to run games. Thanks for the help members!

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since you guys know what you're talking about perhaps you could help me out with another question. After doing some thought, I'm going to opt for a 3DS instead of a DS Lite. So in this case (again I just need to be able to play games off an SD card), would I be alright with a R4i 3DS flash cart, or would I need to spend more to get the R4i Gold 3DS flash cart? I'm trying to keep costs low but I don't think that will be a problem since I only want to run games. Thanks for the help members!

If you're looking at playing DS games on a 3DS, then the following card will work just fine:

http://www.3dsgamerworld.com/r4i-gold-3ds-rts-for-3ds-3ds-xl-2ds-dsi-dsi-xl-p-2.html

If you want to play 3DS games via a flashcart, then go to the 3DS section of this forum and research the Sky3DS and Gateway cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup