Hacking Should I get the DSTT or the EZ-Flash V?

Foxle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Howdy, this is my first message post on this forum, and I realize that this question must have been asked hundreds of times already. Also, I apologize for also posting this in the EZ-Flash section of the forum, but I figured that this would get a more well rounded answer if both camps got a chance to answer. Anyways, onto my question...

I'm considering getting a DS Flash Card. While I would love to be able to afford a CyclosDS card, I'm trying to stick with something a bit cheaper. From what I've found, the prices over at DealExtreme are the best, especially with it's free shipping. The two cards that they offer that I am interested in are the EZ-Flash V and the DSTT. The DSTT appears to be more feature rich, stable, and compatible, but unfortunately DealExtreme is out of stock of them as of writing this post. From what I've read though, the EZ-Flash V is a fine card.

Now then, onto what I'm planning to do with the thing. My main use of course, will be DS emulation. However, I'm also highly interested in GBA emulation, so regardless of which card I'm purchasing, I'm getting the EZ-Flash 3in1. Is the EZ-Flash 3in1 so heavily integrated with the EZ-Flash V that it's not worth it trying to use it on anything else, or is it just as easy on the DSTT? Are all three functions of the EZ-Flash 3in1 avalible to the DSTT?

I'm also very interested in running DS homebrew, and more particularly, emulating the SNES on my DS. Does one card offer better support of SNEmulDS over the other? Is there any other homebrew issues I should know about on either card?

Besides that, is there any other reason I may want one card over another?

Anyways, thank you all for your time. I'm sorry if this is a highly redundant post, but at least I didn't come here and start ranting about how the DS should have an N64 emulator, right?

neogba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSTT is the best card. The Evolution is over rated but does have a good team.

The DSTT is the fastest.

It runs everything.

It takes removable MicroSDHC flash. (You may have to get a better HC reader). MicroSDHC are cheap http://www.slickdeals.com

The menu selections have little icon indicators for soft-reset, cheats etc...

Is has nice "skins".

The card build is great, fits and no bulges.

You can use the spring loaded microSD(HC) slot without removing the DSTT.

The apps you mentioned work
yaynds.gif

Foxle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thank you for the quick reply. I'm glad to hear that the DSTT is a great card. Unfortunately, it's so great that DealExtreme seems like it's going to be out of it for some time. If I were to get the EZ-Flash V would I be missing out on a lot?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I whole-heartedly refer the Supercard DS One over the DSTT or EZ-Flash V.

It has everything mentioned so far in this thread, with several other benefits.

- Real-time saving
- Very customizable menu (Moonshell-based)
- In-homebrew soft reset
- In-game guide viewing
- Several display modes (similiar to the EDGE)

Main detriment is that since it is Moonshell based, the menus aren't the fastest (although faster than the DSTT's official firmware). The features more than make up for that in my opinion.

Costs a few bucks more, but in the same price range.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5097

Rhuarc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my first post here as well! I have been lurking for several weeks now getting answers to my questions, and now I wanted to be able to participate as well!

I got my DSTT about a week ago, and I love it! I'm using it with a Kingston 4GB Class4 SDHC card, and it works wonderfully. Currently being shipped is the 3 in 1 that you are talking about. Can't wait to try it out as well!

Just wanted to thank everyone for allt he answers to my questions, even if you didn't know you were answering them! This seems like a great place to be, and I'm looking forward to participating and getting to know some people!

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now then, onto what I'm planning to do with the thing. My main use of course, will be DS emulation. However, I'm also highly interested in GBA emulation, so regardless of which card I'm purchasing, I'm getting the EZ-Flash 3in1. Is the EZ-Flash 3in1 so heavily integrated with the EZ-Flash V that it's not worth it trying to use it on anything else, or is it just as easy on the DSTT? Are all three functions of the EZ-Flash 3in1 avalible to the DSTT?
If you're main use is going to be emulation, just buy a PSP, and flash a custom firmware. The PSP is a MUCH more powerful machine than the DS, and it shows in the emulators available for the PSP, their performance, and most importantly, their compatibility. Of course, you'd probably also want to find a higher capacity replacement battery as it seems that the PSP's battery life is pretty awful with the OEM battery.

[EDIT]
Supercard DS One: Actually if he buys from dealextreme or one of those other Asian retailers the SCDS1 isn't all that much more than a DSTT, as I recall seeing them for c. $30. Even from Realhotstuff the SCDS1 is $42, and IIRC I thought that I saw some other store in the US selling them for c. $36, but I don't recall where but it kept popping up the other month when I was searching for something else... For emulation an added benefit of the SCDS1 is that it can soft-reset back to it's shell from most homebrew. I don't know of many(any?) other carts that can do that.

My personal favorite is the Cyclo DS Evolution though as it's FAST in the menus, and loading apps/ROMs. Supports realtime saves(for DS ROMs). Extremely compatible with homebrew(SCDS1 has some problems with some apps). Drawback is that it's usually c. $52 or so.
[/EDIT]

Foxle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're main use is going to be emulation, just buy a PSP, and flash a custom firmware. The PSP is a MUCH more powerful machine than the DS, and it shows in the emulators available for the PSP, their performance, and most importantly, their compatibility. Of course, you'd probably also want to find a higher capacity replacement battery as it seems that the PSP's battery life is pretty awful with the OEM battery.

[EDIT]
Supercard DS One: Actually if he buys from dealextreme or one of those other Asian retailers the SCDS1 isn't all that much more than a DSTT, as I recall seeing them for c. $30. Even from Realhotstuff the SCDS1 is $42, and IIRC I thought that I saw some other store in the US selling them for c. $36, but I don't recall where but it kept popping up the other month when I was searching for something else... For emulation an added benefit of the SCDS1 is that it can soft-reset back to it's shell from most homebrew. I don't know of many(any?) other carts that can do that.

My personal favorite is the Cyclo DS Evolution though as it's FAST in the menus, and loading apps/ROMs. Supports realtime saves(for DS ROMs). Extremely compatible with homebrew(SCDS1 has some problems with some apps). Drawback is that it's usually c. $52 or so.
[/EDIT]

I guess I should have rephased that. I'm not using it mainly for emulation, I'm using mainly to play NDS and GBA games. However, I just want to keep my options open if I feel like playing some old NES/SNES games. I thought of getting a PSP a while ago, but DS Flash cards offer more for the money.

As for the CycloDS, it's an amazing card, but out of my price range. I could get the EZ-Flash V, DSTT, or Supercard DS One and the EZ-Flash 3in1 for the same price as the CycloDS alone.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YSMenu (an alternate menu system for the DSTT) supports the EZ-Flash 3in1 expansion pack so that you can load GBA files and Opera in one click without the use of the GBA Loader.

Unfortunately, I don't think YSMenu supports the Ewin 2in1 comes bundled with the DSTT!

-Bri

Foxle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YSMenu (an alternate menu system for the DSTT) supports the EZ-Flash 3in1 expansion pack so that you can load GBA files and Opera in one click without the use of the GBA Loader.

Unfortunately, I don't think YSMenu supports the Ewin 2in1 comes with some packages of the DSTT!

-Bri

DealExtreme doesn't have the Ewin 2in1 bundled with the DSTT regardless, so it's a moot point.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Either card would be a good choice for what you want it to do, I think you're thinking too hard
smile.gif
At the end of the day they're both carts that run anything you throw at them.

The EZ-V manages files better, letting you use folders in the menu that appears on the DS, and the menu is based off of Moonshell so it natively supports viewing images, video and MP3. It also works seamlessly with the 3-in-1 (though I hear many people prefer to use Rudolph's tool with it anyway). Cheat support has only just been added, I don't know how well it works as it's something I never use but the previous release was rather hit-and-miss.

Whereas the TTDS supports SDHC and single-card download play on all titles (the EZ-V fails on first party Nintendo titles such as Mario). It currently displays all .nds files on the memory card as a single unsorted list on the DS menu (which can be sorted into alphabetical order using some PC software). The TTDS's card slot is spring loaded, the EZ-V is not. The TT hasn't been out long enough to know if the springs breaking will be an issue like it was with the R4, but it's something to think about.

Both cart menus can be skinned. For people who don't know much about computers the TT is easier to set up, but the EZ-V isn't exactly rocket science. I'm happy with EZ-V; it's updated frequently and there's a lot of support from the lovely folks at the Sousuke forums. My sister is happy with the TT; it plays everything she wants it to, and once the menu's been sorted having everything in one folder doesn't bother her. Either will work fine for what you want it to do
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: