Hacking Question Should i get Reinx or SX OS

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I understand. Thank you so much!

By the way, I only have .XCI files.. How do I convert it to .NSP for the free CFW just in case ?

I believe there was a converter floating around here but i heard it only works for a FEW games, not every game. What i can suggest to you if you're going the free CFW route is that you
A)Look up stuff about CDNSP(not here though, Youtube is your best bet)
B)Look for repositories that have the games in .NSP format ready to download(Can't link to anything here but google is your friend)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe there was a converter floating around here but i heard it only works for a FEW games, not every game. What i can suggest to you if you're going the free CFW route is that you
A)Look up stuff about CDNSP(not here though, Youtube is your best bet)
B)Look for repositories that have the games in .NSP format ready to download(Can't link to anything here but google is your friend)

Thank you.

A) I knew that Youtube is my best bet.
B) I know where so I guess I can get .NSP games and keep .XCI games just in case as well.

Again, thanks so much!

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For me, being able to mount XCI is a must have.
It’s space-friendly (you don’t need 2x the size of the game free on the sd card) and fast to replace.

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you really concern about homebrew, do not go SX OS because some of them have compatibility issue, and people usually do not care.
I would not be surprised if I was told that the uncompatibility is made on puprose.

But don't forget that even if you use SX OS, you still can use other free solutions.

The most important thing is to get a good jig. A dongle is also nice to have.

Last edited by koyuki38,
Reactions: GaaraPrime

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
You could always try Reinx, etc. since they’re free before moving over to SX OS if you decide thre free options are not for you.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It’s space-friendly (you don’t need 2x the size of the game free on the sd card) and fast to replace.
I dont quite get this, you can just delete the nsp file after installation.

IMO just go for ReiNX, if there really is something you dont like about ReiNX you can still buy SX OS.

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I dont quite get this, you can just delete the nsp file after installation.

IMO just go for ReiNX, if there really is something you dont like about ReiNX you can still buy SX OS.
For example:
You have 15gb left in your sd card, and let say you want to put A 14 gb game.
For nsp you need +30gb left to install it
SX OS XCI mounting only 15gb left to play it.

You got it now?

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Both NSP and XCI are space friendly in a different manner.

NSP can be installed in memory console => about 25GB extra space a XCI does not reach
XCI does not need to be installed => you don't need twitch the space at the installtion moment.

Reactions: NeoSlyde

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For example:

You got it now?

coiuldn't one just network install an NSP, the nsp doesnt have to be on the SD card in order to install a title making that reasoning moot point.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For example:

You got it now?

Now I understand what you mean.
It is still not a troublesome problem in my opinion, you can just take the money you would have spent on SX and buy yourself a larger sd card, also there is the possibility to install your games in a "smart" order, for example:
You have the 15gb left and want to install a game with 16gb, but you have also installed 2 games with 6gb each.
If you changed the order you could have installed all games, and since there are many games with something around 6gb or lower the lost place isnt really that much.

or just like GBADWB said

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Now I understand what you mean.
It is still not a troublesome problem in my opinion, you can just take the money you would have spent on SX and buy yourself a larger sd card, also there is the possibility to install your games in a "smart" order, for example:
You have the 15gb left and want to install a game with 16gb, but you have also installed 2 games with 6gb each.
If you changed the order you could have installed all games, and since there are many games with something around 6gb or lower the lost place isnt really that much.

or just like GBADWB said
This would be a good argument if the Switch was a retro console.
Games are still coming out, and you cannot planify for all the new games that will come out.

XCI >>>>>>> NSP
Hence SX OS > All

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This would be a good argument if the Switch was a retro console.
Games are still coming out, and you cannot planify for all the new games that will come out.

Thats right, too.
NSPs could just be deleted and later insatlled again though.
I guess we just have to wait at this point, Dragon Quest is a good example for this with its ~30gb.
But there is still the thing GBADWB mentioned about network install an nsp, but since I haven't tried this yet I believe that everything I wanted to say is said.

Last edited by Esdeath,

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
XCI >>>>>>> NSP

It's just a format difference, the result are the same...

Hence SX OS > All

If you think it... it's obviusly that the open source community can do better job together than team xecuter, because they are more people and are open to all to modify and improve it.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For simplicity reasons, SX OS or PRO, but if you want to educate yourself and realize that SX OS has been outclassed by free things, go get another CFW.

It's like a expensive phone vs a cheap phone, you could go with everyone else is going just because it looks pretty and expensive. But, in reality you should go with the cheaper thing, or in this case, the free thing, and get the same features for 100% less of the price.

And I'm saying this as a fan of SX OS.

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For simplicity reasons, SX OS or PRO, but if you want to educate yourself and realize that SX OS has been outclassed by free things, go get another CFW.

It's like a expensive phone vs a cheap phone, you could go with everyone else is going just because it looks pretty and expensive. But, in reality you should go with the cheaper thing, or in this case, the free thing, and get the same features for 100% less of the price.

And I'm saying this as a fan of SX OS.
Outclassed? How?

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today I installed SX Os on 3 switches and it just works.
NSP and XCI works flawless.

I also played with ReiNX and that one works also perfect but doesn’t have the XCI loading on the fly.
wow This is your first comment in almost 10 years.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Honestly at this point the advantages of going sx-os is only xci loading. Where I see the real value however is going with sx-pro for the nice jig and dongle. If you can't get the sx-pro then I'd say go with reinx. I don't think sx-os alone is worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/