Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
tbh, X-2 is really more of a girly game
not as in barbie snowland etc. kinda games but it was more focused towards the female gamers.
at least, that was my opinion after playing it for a little bit...

That's a misconception. It's really no more effeminate than Final Fantasy X, except for the fact that your party is made up of women. But come on, those women are using handguns, swords, thievery, all sorts of awesome stuff. Saying FFX-2 is girly is sort of like saying Metroid games are girly simply because the protagonist happens to be female. Also, once you get farther into the game you realize it's not all sunshine and lollypops and that there's a fairly deep and somewhat disturbing storyline to the game.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
not as in barbie snowland etc. kinda games but it was more focused towards the female gamers.

That's a misconception. It's really no more effeminate than Final Fantasy X, except for the fact that your party is made up of women. But come on, those women are using handguns, swords, thievery, all sorts of awesome stuff. Saying FFX-2 is girly is sort of like saying Metroid games are girly simply because the protagonist happens to be female. Also, once you get farther into the game you realize it's not all sunshine and lollypops and that there's a fairly deep and somewhat disturbing storyline to the game.

i didnt get that far

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

i didnt get that far

I thought that might be the case. A lot of people stop early on and don't give the game a fair shot.
lecture.gif

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so behind on FF games. Last one I finished was VII (loved it). I started X, but stopped when I got to the blitzball part, which was lame. I really want to finish IX though.. the first few hours had me hooked on story and gameplay, but I just haven't had time to finish it.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm playing X now, it's good but I definitely prefered the PS1 titles. They threw you right into the thick of it, whereas I've spent most of X feeling like I'm watching from the sidelines. It's the narrator that does it.

User200

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

i didnt get that far

I thought that might be the case. A lot of people stop early on and don't give the game a fair shot.
lecture.gif

bow.gif
wow... so i'm not the only one who thinks that.

lexus-8

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im a HUGE FF fan. and i thought xii was utterly CRAP! the combat system was just rediculous. definently go with X and X-2 is also a very good game. X-2 has one of the greatest combat system really gets you invovled!!!

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im a HUGE FF fan. and i thought xii was utterly CRAP! the combat system was just rediculous. definently go with X and X-2 is also a very good game. X-2 has one of the greatest combat system really gets you invovled!!!

Glad someone else feels this way about it. I feel the same. I still want to give a 3rd and final try though because my friends all say it's so awesome.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
X, it's the only Final Fantasy that stands up when it comes to the quality of the script/writing and plot integration (it's also my favorite game on the PS2).

XII dropped the ball by forsaking the strong narrative that has traditionally been an integral part of the FF series for non-linearity.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
X, it's the only Final Fantasy that stands up when it comes to the quality of the script/writing and plot integration (it's also my favorite game on the PS2).

XII dropped the ball by forsaking the strong narrative that has traditionally been an integral part of the FF series for non-linearity.

Basically, without any spoilers, what I said was that X's storyline focuses a lot on character relationships and development, which I always love. With XII, I strongly remember a cutscene where two guys were talking a bunch of political nonsense and I literally just walked out of the room while they were talking. I simply didn't care for what was going on.

Off topic, but my favorite game for PS2 (RPG) is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne all the way. Definitely recommended if you like a challenging RPG with a post-apocalyptic storyline. Not really recommended if you're serious about religion, since it kind of calls the concept of God into question.

Back on topic, I believe Final Fantasy X was the first game I played through when I finally got into PS2 games (after I sold all my Gamecube games to buy the PS2).

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

I agree. Final Fantasy XII sacrificed everything in order to have a massive world and innovative new action-turn-based RPG combat system. I love that combat system, and I love how they're going to incorporate it in every Final Fantasy from now on (which was stated in an interview somewhere)... but they sacrificed characters you care for to get that done. I loved every single secondary character in Final Fantasy X/X-2, but if you asked I couldn't even name one from XII. Basically XII comes down to gameplay over, well, everything else.

Oh, and pristinemog, I edited your post to include a spoiler tag. Remember, the person who started this topic hasn't played the game yet.
happy.gif

shattering

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
First, grab Final Fantasy X.
Then if you're curious about what happend to the story after final fantasy X, then get yourself an X-2.

I don't recommend XII... It's a disgrace to all FF lovers... Well, that's just my opininon. Some people seem to like it though. The only good thing about XII is the setting, Ivalice.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I don't recommend XII... It's a disgrace to all FF lovers... Well, that's just my opininon. Some people seem to like it though. The only good thing about XII is the setting, Ivalice.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion.
happy.gif
I for one thought FFXII was actually more for oldschool Final Fantasy fans. Due to the game having a setting similar to the older FF games, and the fact that just about everything is customizable. One thing I hate though is how people hate the battle system for the wrong reasons. If you dislike gambits, etc, then fine, that's fully your call. It's the people who think it's not turn-based combat that I disagree with. Why? Because the game is still COMPLETELY turn-based. The only difference is that you can now move around as you fight. But it still goes You move > monster moves > you move > monster movies > etc. Think of it sort of like portable gaming; it's turn-based combat while on the go.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I agree. Final Fantasy XII sacrificed everything in order to have a massive world and innovative new action-turn-based RPG combat system. I love that combat system, and I love how they're going to incorporate it in every Final Fantasy from now on (which was stated in an interview somewhere)... but they sacrificed characters you care for to get that done. I loved every single secondary character in Final Fantasy X/X-2, but if you asked I couldn't even name one from XII. Basically XII comes down to gameplay over, well, everything else.

Oh, and pristinemog, I edited your post to include a spoiler tag. Remember, the person who started this topic hasn't played the game yet.
happy.gif

Oh, duh XD. Sorry about that.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
X is one of my favourites in the whole series I loved every minute of it. I know a lot of people hate it and that has always eluded me as I thought everything about it was excellent.
It's the only one I've finished 100% took me around 80hrs or so IIRC.
Go with X as X-2 is trash, I bought it thinking I'd get more of X goodness but it's a rushed effort with a stupid system.

Seems some people are confusing X-2 with XII, if it were out of those two I'd go XII all the way. Like I said, X-2 is trash.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.