Should I get FF X or FF X-2?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Extreme Coder, Nov 27, 2007.

Nov 27, 2007
  1. Extreme Coder
    OP

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Hi everyone (yeah I know I don't post a lot, untill my DS comes back from repair),

I will be stuck this weekend with my friend's PS2 at home (grounded for breaking my sister's leg [​IMG] ), and I wanted to try out a FF game, since the last one I tried was FF-7, and I didn't finish it(my brother broke the CDs), so I intend to pirate buy one of the newest three, X or X-2, or XII (Argh! the names ar confusing!)

So what do you think I should download get from the store?

Also, is it me, or has the FF series been going downhill since FF-7, they're forgetting about good storylines and gameplay, and instead focusing on getting the female protagonist barely clothed, having a male hero you can't distinguish from a female one, futuristic crappy settings, and techno love storylines?
    As I said, it might just be me [​IMG]

Ahmad Yasser (a.k.a. Extreme Coder)

2. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  3. pristinemog

Member pristinemog GBAtemp Fan

United States
    FFX. X-2 is what got me on the path to hating Square-Enix. XII was the nail in the coffin. I've tried to play it twice now and both times just did not find myself enjoying it one bit.

However, listening to FF XII's OST makes me want to give it one more try just because the music is great and I know I love awesome music to compliment awesome events in a game. I just have to adjust to that battle system that puts me off oh so much.

Once I get my new PS2 laser (definitely gonna need it for all those Final Fantasy CG scenes that would otherwise stutter to death with my current laser), I'm gonna give XII another try.

Simply from personal experience though, I'd say go with X. I've beaten it twice. Sure it's like a giant, linear cutscene, but it's a damn good cutscene.

4. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    X-2 is by far the most shit FF game ever, unparalleled by every one of them except maybe Mystic Quest.
    Get X.

5. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    Oh damn, I wrote X-2 in the title thread instead of XII, since I get mixed up with the numbers (since technically, both mean 12 ).
    Of course I'm not going to play X-2, I tried it once at a friend's house, and it was a horrible horrible game. And the fact that the main characters are all females isn't nice too [​IMG]

I'm leaning towards X, since it's said it's closer to the FF series than FF XII, but then Famitsu awarded XII a 40/40, which it only awarded to 5 games before that [​IMG]

6. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    FFXII.

I played all the way through FFX and liked it at first, but later found it boring and frustrating. And due to that, I haven't even touched FFX-2.

7. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    Also can somebody suggest the best way to download the ISO for either of the games? I was thinking of torrents, but I can't find a good seeded torrent for any of them.

8. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Definitely Final Fantasy X. It's my second favorite Final Fantasy game of all time.

I actually didn't think X-2 was bad :\ I found it pretty fun. However, X was definitely better. Haven't played XII yet, but I saw a friend play it , and it looks... good. However, it's a little deviated from the course that Final fantasy has been well-known for.

9. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    What is you favourite FF game of all time Warcueid? I have a pretty good idea of what the answer might be, just want to check [​IMG]

10. sonic209

Member sonic209 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    [​IMG] WTF

11. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    1. Final Fantasy VIII
    2. FInal Fantasy X
    3. Final Fantasy VII

12. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Fuck yes. All the Final Fantasies above 7 are totally worth playing as long as you can handle the change in graphics [​IMG] I've never played 11 though, bad choice making it online huh :X

13. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Oh God, I totally agree. Online = NO. FAIL'D.

14. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    Yeah, I played it (XI) at a friends house, it really bored me.
    My favorite FF games..... hmmm
    1:FFVI/FFVIII (Like them both equally)
    2:FFVII
    3:FFIII DS (I really liked the fact that it is so much harder than the rest of the FF games released outside of Japan)

15. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I thought FFXI was pretty good/decent, but it wasn't realle Final Fantasy. And I also thought X-2 was pretty fun but the story/plot was stupid/crap/garbage. Maybe it's just because I loved the class system in FFV(and the game itself).

I was a little bored with FFX on most parts, could've been because the story was just too predictable for me, I hated blitzball, or it was just my mood. It was a good game though. FFXII is still the only Final Fantasy I haven't tried yet.

16. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    LOL same. Non-modded borrowed PS2 ftl [​IMG]

17. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    you should get FFX! Its the best ps2 final fantasy and one of the best of the series in my opinion.

18. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Definitely get Final Fantasy X, if only because X-2 is the sequel, and why would you want to play the sequel before the original? [​IMG] For the record Final Fantasy X and X-2 are my favorite FF games. I know a lot of people would disagree, but I love X-2 for it's serene atmosphere. Plus its unique gameplay system and multiple paths to choose. As for Final Fantasy XII, I can't recommend the combat and gambit system highly enough, and the world's vibe is completely old world, which is great. However because of the massive size of the world it loses a lot of the typical FF charm. You never come to care for any characters but your own. And there's no little secrets to be found. So go with FFX for now. [​IMG]

19. hanman

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
    honestly, you can't go wrong with any numbered Final Fantasy. hell, the only "bad" one was Mystic Quest, and we all know they'd take that one back, if the could. i'm still waiting for the official apology.

though, given a choice between the PS2 iterations, i'd have to go with XII. it has the best visuals (not just graphics - the character/monster design is amazing) and story ("epic" barely scratches the surface. just be prepared to PAY ATTENTION!) of the 4.

20. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    tbh, X-2 is really more of a girly game
    not as in barbie snowland etc. kinda games but it was more focused towards the female gamers.
    at least, that was my opinion after playing it for a little bit...

FFXII looks really great and really warrants a go, the new battle system being the first incentive
    FFX was great but i just got bored with it after a little bit..
    the sphere grid i hated especially, maybe is shouldve chosen the beginner sphere grid rather than that gold one