Should I get an r4 card to play 3ds games?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by j7reyes, Jun 26, 2014.

1. j7reyes
    OP

j7reyes Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2014
    United States
    Hello Everyone,

So I recently purchased a 3ds with a 4.2.0-9U firmware. I have read that this firmware allows for the download of 3ds games with an r4.(which is great) However, If I were to update my 3ds I wouldn't be able to do so anymore.

I don't know much about the 3ds but would not updating its firmware take away features? Would I not be able to play certain games like Pokemon? what about playing online? These issues are worrying me because I do want to get an r4 but not being able to play online is not worth it.

Also if you guys could tell me which r4 card to get and where I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
    Jerry

2. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Don't get an an r4. Also read the stickies, they've already answered your question. Your questions are not unique and you are not special.

3. ShadowNeko003

ShadowNeko003 ~Nyah~

Jun 9, 2008
    United States
  4. Sorox

Sorox Master Firo Soul

Jul 8, 2008
    United States
    Please stop ripping apart newbies. We were all like this once.

r$ doesn't play 3ds games, look for gateway 3ds or wait for evo 3ds.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    i think he is referring to the R4i gold deluxe which does play 3ds games, but it is a crappy clone of gateway, it lacks most features i.e will not play pokemon, will not play online, needs a separate SD for each game,does not support homebrew

if you want a good 3DS card gateway is the best, and r4i would not really be worth considering

6. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    Yeah for 3DS it's better to bite the bullet and buy a gateway.

7. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    Well, if what you want are opinions, you should update your 3DS to the latest firmware, buy the games you want to play and in the end, you'll feel better about all of it. x'D

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    it would take away pretty much all options except that one, if he stays on 4.x he has the choice to play imports region free and possible homebrew developments, yeah he can also decide to buy a flashcard, the only game he wouldn't be able to play legitimately on a retail cart is tomodachi but he would be keeping his options open still

although its fairly clear from the OP he is very much interested in getting a flashcard.....for better or worse the choice remains his to make

9. BestR4i3DS.com

BestR4i3DS.com GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2014
    United States
    Only R4i gold 3DS deluxe can run 3DS roms on your 3DS, but it can't support multi-roms;
    if you have enough budget , you'd better spend a little more to buy Gateway 3DS or MT card 3DS,
    they can run almost all 3DS roms and support multi 3DS roms