Hardware Should I get a Wii U early?

hundredhead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I want to know is that if I get one of the first models of the Wii U will it be likelier to be hacked? I pretty sure that for the Wii that a few of the newer models weren't able to be hacked for a while( I think it's because of a LU serial number or something), so can I wait, or is Nintendo likely to release newer models with anti hacking HARDWARE after it's hacked.

P.S I know it hasnt been hacked yet and I'm not asking about how it will be hacked, just if it's likley that nintendo will not only release anti hacking furmware/software and start releasing anti hacking hardware in their systems.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Due to history, they would most likely go as far as change the hardware if they need to.
So, with the early ones you have a better chance for a sustaining hack. Specially if
you stay on the first or on early firmware if you are so willing to.

Not to say that doesn't make the first one any harder to hack.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Generally speaking, it's not likely for them to accidentally fix an exploit and block a hack BEFORE someone in the homebrew community finds it.
(It's just as likely for them to accidentally CREATE a new exploit with a future revision which would make getting it too early a bad thing.)

so if you want to wait and are just worried about being able to hack it SOME DAY ... go ahead. The worst case scenario would be if you don't already have one you'd have to buy one as soon as possible AFTER it first gets hacked (if ever) before they cover their tracks.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
I reckon there'd be a few months gap between it being hacked and new unhackable ones out in the market.
I wouldn't buy one for the chance of it being hacked, considering the 3DS where no one's bothered to hack it. (I remember thinking because I bought an early one I might have hack advantages.)

bladepwnedyou

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Due to past history with my 3ds and not waiting a yearish till after it came out, I'd say you should wait. There was a price drop almost right after I got it, the first set of games werent anything special after a couple weeks, and the perks it came with lost my interest real quick. But that's just me. I know i'm getting the wii U but not right off the bat because it isnt anything special without a good list of games coming with it just yet, and merely a hd wii with a new contoller gimmick. Don't be bought in until they lower the price a little, you can get an xbox 360 or ps3 with better library of games and addons for cheaper prices, with the only exception of not having a tablet controller.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I reckon there'd be a few months gap between it being hacked and new unhackable ones out in the market.
I wouldn't buy one for the chance of it being hacked, considering the 3DS where no one's bothered to hack it. (I remember thinking because I bought an early one I might have hack advantages.)
It's not that no one's bothered to do it, it's that it's kind of hard. See Neimod and his various little toys.

If you're getting a Wii U just because you want it hacked, I'd recommend waiting until it's actually hacked. Chances are the average availability of the Wii U during launch (and maybe even a few weeks/month after that) will be low and the price will be high.

If you happen to like the launch titles for the Wii U then yeah sure go ahead and buy one.

Reactions: 2 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Due to past history with my 3ds and not waiting a yearish till after it came out, I'd say you should wait. There was a price drop almost right after I got it, the first set of games werent anything special after a couple weeks, and the perks it came with lost my interest real quick. But that's just me. I know i'm getting the wii U but not right off the bat because it isnt anything special without a good list of games coming with it just yet, and merely a hd wii with a new contoller gimmick. Don't be bought in until they lower the price a little, you can get an xbox 360 or ps3 with better library of games and addons for cheaper prices, with the only exception of not having a tablet controller.
Expect it isn't just a "merely a hd wii with a new contoller gimmick" and wii u launch is nothing like the 3ds launch.

Beside that, that wasn't what he was asking.

There no anger behind that or whatever, but that is just incorrect.

It's not that no one's bothered to do it, it's that it's kind of hard. See Neimod and his various little toys.

If you're getting a Wii U just because you want it hacked, I'd recommend waiting until it's actually hacked. Chances are the average availability of the Wii U during launch (and maybe even a few weeks/month after that) will be low and the price will be high.

If you happen to like the launch titles for the Wii U then yeah sure go ahead and buy one.
This.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Couple things here:

-You telling him to get an Xbox 360 or PS3 for better games is the equivalent of me saying to get a SNES which has a ton of better games than PS3 or 360.
-It's not a gimmick, and when are retards who pretend to know anything about gaming and are under the age of 15 gamers of today going to realize that Nintendo always... ALWAYS comes out with a new way to play games, every single generation. And it's funny because after they do, other companies start copying them.
-The price is perfect. A hell of a lot cheaper than what the 360 and PS3 were at launch. And the only reason why they're cheap now is because they can afford to be, after years of being expensive as a golden turd from the Queen of england.

And the most important thing about your post:

-THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR POST! He's wondering if he should get it because it might be easier to hack because it's an early model. Your whole post is a waste.

hundredhead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks alot everyone! I think I'll wait awhile due to remembering how the 3ds price was lowered only a few months after it was released, and that it seems that Nintendo wouldn't drastically revise the hardware that it wouldn't be too different from other models, if the wii U even gets hacked.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks alot everyone! I think I'll wait awhile due to remembering how the 3ds price was lowered only a few months after it was released, and that it seems that Nintendo wouldn't drastically revise the hardware that it wouldn't be too different from other models, if the wii U even gets hacked.
While I already explain about the launch and how a drop wouldn't happen,but I'm more curious on
how you came to that second line of the conclusion?

I think they would only be making a small amount as price is right now.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well being how fast its selling out at the moment you may not have much other choice but to wait. None the less if you are able to get your hands on one I would, simply put this is Nintendo were talking about not fuck up Sony or Microsoft. (Referring to there hard ware and all the problems they have had since their launch, yes I know most of the problems have been worked out but still they had them none the less) Nintendo isn't really known at least as long as i have been alive, I was born in the 80's for those that care lol, None the less I have never had any real problems with Nintendo's system aside from the ones I rarely hear about on the Temp from time to time. I'm sure its going to be allot easier to have the Wii U and possibly the tablet hacked and I'm sure the tablet its self has its own ram and processor so I'm sure it can run emulators on its own right if they were made for it. Either way if you can get your hands on a Wii U at launch do it. I can't see them dropping the price on the systems as they are fairly priced and if pre-orders are any indication for whats to come in the Wii U's life well I'd say Nintendo's pricing for Wii U is spot on! :P

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should just wait. While a price drop is unlikely speculators are hypothesizing that Nintendo may gain a small profit from each Wii U sold and it is possible they might have a fault in the hardware. Given Nintendo's history it is improbable but possible. They also most likely improved security after the incident with the Wii and finding one available might be difficult.

Just listen to Suprgamr232 post.

Reactions: Rasas

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'll hold out until some cool edition packs come in this time I think. (I really hope for a Pikmin 3 pak)

I wanted the 3DS Zelda edition so bad.
But you know.. Got a Ambassador Launch-Day 3DS, for only 230, and 3 games for the price of 2.
So wasn't that sad about the price drop.

It's just that I want a cool box and painted console. :P

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
It's just that I want a cool box and painted console. :P
spraypaint.jpg

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I mean the official thing, like a limited edition. :)

Edit:
Also, I want to see more than 32GB of storage. :/
If it indeed SDD, that not going to happen. They would have to significantly raise the price or go back to the more parts
and slower HDDs, both I didn't see them doing.

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
My opinion is to wait because WiiU prices will drop in a couple of months and they will probably release a WiiU with more memory in the future...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wifi 7 routers are already out
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    and i'm still here on wifi 5
    all my stuff is wired anyway
    what annoys me is my server has 2.5g but i have nothing else that does
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it